Author Topic: DEATH Windleshaw Abbey, St Helens - 1929  (Read 5492 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
DEATH Windleshaw Abbey, St Helens - 1929
« on: Saturday 14 February 15 19:06 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking into possible Rimmer relatives and have found a tree on Ancestry which records Peter Rimmer (birth circa 1857 St Helens) death on 8 Jan 1929 in Windleshaw Abbey.  Now I know the derelict Abbey is next to the Borough Cemetery, but their records don't show the burial or cremation of a Peter Rimmer in 1929.

Can anyone offer advice on whether a burial would have taken place in the Abbey in 1929?

Thanks in advance, Kit

Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Joney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DEATH Windleshaw Abbey, St Helens - 1929
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 February 15 21:10 GMT (UK) »
The only Peter Rimmer in Lancashire whose death is registered in the first quarter of 1929 on Freebmd is registered in West Derby, ie. Liverpool.  The age given is 72 which also fits with what you've said.
Do you know where your Peter was living ?  Could he be buried in Liverpool instead ? Or was there an already existing family grave in St Helens ?  More questions than answers I'm afraid,  but with burial records as recent as 1929 there shouldn't be a problem with the St. Helen's staff locating them if they exist.

Joney
Liverpool - Ireland 
 Skerries, County Dublin - Thorn(ton),  Wicklow -  Traynor
Baltray, Co. Louth, McGuirk and  Co. Mayo -  Phillips
Isle of Man - Harrison -  Andreas and Morrison - Maughold, 
Durham, Hetton and East Rainton area  - Brown and Kennedy
Northumberland - Clough, Longbenton

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 February 15 08:27 GMT (UK) »

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 February 15 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kit,
There is a probate record for a Peter Rimmer .
54 Northcote Road Walton Liverpool died 8 Jan 1929
Effects £48 5s 2d to Elizabeth Lunt wife of Robert.
If by any chance this is Peter's record then his address may take you a step closer to his burial ground.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 February 15 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rolnora, heatherjulie and Joney,

The date of death in the probate is the same as shown on the Ancestry tree although the wife is different.  I have a spreadsheet of St Helen's marriages and although I don't have it to hand at the moment, I seem to remember that there was another Peter Rimmer who married an Elizabeth Lunt, but 2 years after the one in the tree I've seen.  He appears to have married an Ann Alice Bridge.  I'll need to find the spreadsheet and check.

Anyway, I just thought it an odd entry.  They have other folk also 'Buried' at Windleshaw Abbey.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline marrle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 February 15 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Of your charity pray for the soul of JAMES BRIDGE Who died 28 May 1879 80 years Also of ANNIE the wife of PETER RIMMER and cousin of the above Who died 23 December 1885 25 years On Whose souls sweet Jesus have mercy Also PETER husband of the above Who died 8 January 1929 72 years.

The above taken from the CD for Windleshaw Chantry St.Helens .

Is this the Peter you are looking for.

There are other Rimmers buried at Windleshaw, let me know if you would like the names.

Best Wishes Margie

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 February 15 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margie

Very much looks like it!  So, do we know if this is just a memorial or whether they are definitely buried there.  The family appear to be Catholic, marrying at Lowe House.  Would that make sense?

I wonder if Peter did remarry to an Elizabeth Lunt.  The tree I see has Peter and Ann's daughter Elizabeth marrying a Robert Lunt.  So it may be the daughter who was mentioned on the probate.

Kit

EDIT: Sorry, now see the probate DOES say wife of Robert.

Offline marrle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 February 15 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kit,
Yes I would say Peter is definitely buried there, and it makes sense as they are Catholics.
If I can help you with anything else do let me know.
Margie

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 February 15 10:49 GMT (UK) »
If there are not too many and it's not too much trouble, I'd love to know which other Rimmer's are buried there.

Otherwise, I may try and get hold of a copy of the CD.  I presume the St Helens Family History Society can provide it?

Kit