Author Topic: Welch, Merriman and David (or variants of all) in Pembrokeshire  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Meringue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Welch, Merriman and David (or variants of all) in Pembrokeshire
« on: Sunday 15 February 15 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've managed to trace a line of my family back to David Welch (or Wealch) who was baptised on 8.12.1767 at Llandyfaelog, Carms.  The information I've managed to find for his baptism doesn't state his parents' names.
Likewise, I've found a reference to his marriage to Rachel Merriman (also spelled Rachael and Merryman!) in Penally, Pembrokeshire on 11.12.1798.  She was baptised on 19.9.1778 in Saint Issell, Pembrokeshire.
Their childrens' surnames are DAVID/DAVIES though, as it appears it was quite common back then for the children to take the father's first name as their surname - as is done in parts of Scandinavia still (children are John David 3.11.1800; Benjamin David ca.1802; and David David 1809).
I've had no luck finding anything for David or Rachel's parentage, and for all I know, their surnames are the first names of their fathers!  If anyone can offer any help with any of this, I'd be most grateful.
Many thanks.  :)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Welch, Merriman and David (or variants of all) in Pembrokeshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 February 15 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk