Author Topic: ANN (DAWN) PAULSON - ARTIST OF MANSFIELD  (Read 3840 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
ANN (DAWN) PAULSON - ARTIST OF MANSFIELD
« on: Monday 16 February 15 00:31 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Ann PAULSON, Mansfield Artist and teacher. Ann DAWN married John PAULSON, son of George PAULSON and Rachel SYKES who are my 3rd great grandparents. My connection is through my great grandmother, Jane DUNNELL the daughter of CATHERINE PAULSON and Charles DUNNELL. Catherine PAULSON was John PAULSON'S brother. I have good info to share re Ann, (and of course always looking for more)!!  She was a very successful artist, exhibiting in London, Paris, and Victoria Australia.

And a current exhibition, now showing at Mansfield Museum, said to include some of her works  Bummer, can't catch the bus from here!  I was in Mansfield a number of years ago, but pity, I didn't know about this great artist at that time!  Another already planned UK trip later on this year will certainly take in Mansfield again!

Anyone else researching this person?  Love to hear from you!

Jeanne  :)
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: ANN (DAWN) PAULSON - ARTIST OF MANSFIELD
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 February 15 12:12 GMT (UK) »
PS. the abovementioned exhibition at Mansfield Museum, was actually an old post on the Mansfield Museum website!!  I have a red face now.  Hope no one went racing down there. 😳 As an excuse, it only had the days and the month, so maybe I'm not so silly!!  Just wish I could do a little backward time travel!

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 March 15 08:27 GMT (UK) »
You have not put any dates on your posting, for approximate birth years.

Have you looked on the surname interests board to see if others are interested in this family?

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 March 15 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Oops!  Thank you! 

Ann PAULSON was born c1808 in Papplewick, Nottinghamshire, and died 17 September 1866 in Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia.

Yes I have checked that board, when I put myself on, and the Dunnell/Dunnill people as well!  I do forget about it though, I'll have to spend a day checking them out! There's actually someone on there I was in contact with years ago too!  Must get a catch up with her!  And made me realise I need to add some new interest names!

All good, thank you! 

Jeanne 😄

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 March 15 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank You!  I have now marked this message as Completed.  I have found a great deal of info regarding Ann and her work from online searches, which led also me to Mansfield Museum in Nottinghamshire. The curator at that Museum was very helpful to me.  I was able to purchase a 1956 book about Ann, her work and life in England and Australia which also had the bonus of info re my great-grandparents, etc etc. . images of some of her paintings.  Its a great little book, even reported a letter to Ann, that told her my great grandmother Jane Dunnell, had run away from home and married Henry Mathews, my great grandfather! 

And to top it all off, the Curator told me that when I am in England later on this year, that she will be happy to show me those of Ann's paintings that are in their collection!

This has not been a long hard search for Ann, I only became aware of her existence just a couple of months ago, so how lucky is that!

I still looking for two great great grandmothers in my line (not this line) in Ireland! neither is named on the connected 1845 marriage, just the fathers!  One day maybe. I've found one of them, but no maiden name on either to take me back to their generation!  Oh well, can't win 'em all, but this find re Ann has got to be my best and quickest find ever! AND ithe book only cost me £2, plus postage of about £6.  By the time I came out of the Bank to transfer the money to England, which was the sum of £10, my account had been debited with almost $50 NZ, the equivalent of about £25 Sterling.

So that Bank made out a pretty penny out of that deal, however, if that's all that this particular piece of my research has cost me, I'm a lucky lass!  And thank you again Chempat for your contribution at the beginning!

Still a bit peeved at the Bank though that can justify those charges simply for pushing a few buttons!

I would have been happy to pay that amount for the book alone, amazingly lucky for me that it was a well researched Council produced book, and only cost £2.  So all is good!

Jeanne 😃

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 March 15 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you for acknowledging my tiny contribution.
I was very surprised that no-one else added to this thread. (I am not local)
Really pleased that the curator was so helpful.
We often suggest getting in touch with museums, councils, newspapers etc but frequently do not know whether the poster will follow the advice as they do not return, or that the advice is useful as the relevant people are unable or do not want to help.
What a surprise - a bank making money for doing very little.
So a very successful outcome for you.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 March 15 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chempat,

It's been a fantastic journey, and I can't wait to get to Mansfield later in the year! Yes I agree with you re Museums etc.  I have had good results on other searches from looking up Art Galleries, local Family History & Genealogy websites, newspapers etc. Not just for Ann, but others as well!  It's certainly worth a shot, not forgetting Mr Google, and Google Images, which led me to a lot of discoveries, not just for Ann, but others too!  Magic

This one was part of an online article re Ann, on a Nottingham Website, and one of two. I nearly fell off my chair!  Such a talented person! It's one of the originals that I am going to be shown in Mansfield.

Ok. Wouldn't take the attachment  said I had to change the name, can't do that either on the iPad.
Never mind, you if you want to, you can see it, there are two on there!

http://www.ournottinghamshire.org.uk/page/paulson_annof_mansfield

Cheers
Jeanne 😃

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 March 15 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you for that.

Much prefer the 'Apples and Flowers' to the 'Victory Arch'
(Would have one on my wall but not the other, if offered).

Pat

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 March 15 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  That's fine Pat!  Always goes "each to its own" my preference between these two is the Victory Arch, but regardless, I think one very talented lady!

Jeanne 😃

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections