Author Topic: John O'Brien, 1871, Glamorgan County Gaol  (Read 1917 times)

Offline KeithTruman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John O'Brien, 1871, Glamorgan County Gaol
« on: Tuesday 17 February 15 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

Does anyone have access to the Glamorganshire County Gaol, Cardiff  records for 1871. I am seeking more information on a John O'Brien, aged 16 from Cork, Ireland, who was an inmate in the Gaol at the time the Census was taken in 1871.

Keith

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John O'Brien, 1871, Glamorgan County Gaol
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 14:53 GMT (UK) »
There's no age, but this could be him

Cardiff Times, 31 December 1870

CASES.—John O'Brien, labourer, of 2, Rosemary-lane, was charged with assaulting and wounding in the head, with a stick, Mary Cronin, of 35, George-street, Tyndall-street also with kicking and assaulting P. S. Lewis and P. C. Leaker while on duty in Ellen-street. The last charge was not pressed, but for the first offence, which, according to the evidence, was unprovoked, defendant was sent to prison for six months. For assaulting the mother-in-law of the complainant, he was sentenced to a further term of two months' imprisonment—Ellen Brian was also charged with assaulting P.C. Leaker, and was committed for a month.

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3385952/ART50/john%20obrien

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 14:54 GMT (UK) »
There is a record for 26.6.1882 for a John O'Brien in Glamorgan - 6 months penal servitude for larceny.  Unfortunately - no other identifying details
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 14:58 GMT (UK) »
this is another version of those events, that indicate a) young and b) history of such incidents

Cardiff and Merthyr Guardian, Glamorgan, Monmouth, and Brecon Gazette
31 December 1870

John O'Brian, a well- known young lad, who has been imprisoned many times for assaults, was charged with assaulting and wounding Mary Cronin, a young woman, and also her mother, who reside in George-street. The defendant was drunk and insulted everyone he met, and the young woman ob- serving his conduct remonstrated with him, when he struck her down with a stick and cut her head severely. The mother then came and was served in the same manner, and also kicked by him. He had been sentenced three times during the year for assaults, and the Bench now imprisoned him for eight months' hard labour, six for the first assault and two for the second.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 21:49 GMT (UK) »
The more I look, the more I find - although the early ones could be another John, who kept a beer house in Bute St

August 1863 - John and Michael O'Brian find 5 shilings for being drunk and riotous

august 1866 -  Ellen O'Brian and Julia Hayes were fined 2s. 6d. each and costs; and John O'Brian, Michael Hayes, and Thomas and Mary Welch were fined 5s. each and costs, for being drunk and riotous at Roath.

August 1868 - drunk and riotous in Evelyn st

May 1870 - Michael, John and Mary O'Brian convicted of assaulting Catherine Smith in Roath. 14 days

Feb 1873 - 1 month with hard labour for assaulting the barmaid at the Barley Mow, Bute St, who refused to serve him when he was drunk. Had just come out of prison for assaulting a young woman

March 1873 - drunk in Tyndall St and assaults a policeman. 6 months hard labour

November 1874 - young irish labourer. 2 months hard labour for assaulting a policeman when drunk (having only just got out of prison for a similar offence)

July 1876 - assault on a police officer. Unsure of this one as he's described as a militiaman

March 1877  - Irish labourer of Bute Street. Assaulted a police officer who was conveying a companion of his to the station. Sentenced to 2 months hard labour
or
March 1877 - 12 months for assaulting Cornelius Driscoll (as JOhn O'Brien)

March 1884 - Mary Jane Martin and John O'Brien were charged with assaulting William Lake. He got one month's hard labour

May 1885 - Thomas M'Connell, John O'Brien, and John Donovan were charged with assaulting Police-Constable Gasken....Inspector Cox gave the defendants bad characters. All had been concerned in beating a police-officer about six weeks since. A resident of the neighbourhood also said that defendants were a perfect terror to the neighbourhood, insulting him and everyone else, driving business away from his shop, as people were afraid to come

Oct 1887 - John O'Brien, John Sullivan, William Thomas, and Thomas Collins were charged with stealing a purse containing £22 from the person of Frederick Schultz, with violence, at the East Wharf

Nov 1889 - John O'Brien and Mary Ann O'Brien, alias Meehan," his wife, were charged with keeping a brothel at 19, Sandon-place. he was convicted and given 2 months

Offline KeithTruman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Mabel

I'd like to think there is more than 1 John O'Brien active here, otherwise he really was a waster, although I have no doubt some of these crimes were by my friends ancestor. I have no doubt the 1870 assault where Mary Cronin is mentioned MUST be my John O'Brien as he was himself married to a Cronin. However, I am doubting the earlier crimes might have been him as he was born 1855 and so a crime for being drunken in 1863 just seems to early. Perhaps there were 2 John O'Brien's in Cardiff at the time?

Thank you so much for all your efforts Mabel. This is great.

Keith

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 11:33 GMT (UK) »
As I mentioned, there is one running a pub in the area, but given he is arrested with Michael O'Brian I guess he may be related?