Author Topic: Devon marriage lookup, please  (Read 10889 times)

Offline Aniseed

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Devon marriage lookup, please
« on: Tuesday 17 February 15 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching an in-law's family tree, and would love to see the details of the marriage between James Humphreys and Jane Heale in Torquay in 1861. Any answers gratefully received.

Many thanks for your help.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Devon marriage lookup, please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 21:55 GMT (UK) »
To see the details you will need to order the certificate using the information below.

Sep 1861
Newton Abbot 5b 255
Jane Heale
James Humphreys
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi to help out, but can I ask how you have got this far back with certainty:-

31st August 1861 Torquay

James Humphreys 26 occ Carpenter Father Robert occ Carpenter
Jane Heale 21 occ Servant Father Caleb Heale occ Blacksmith

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aniseed

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Many, many thanks keyboard86 for the lookup, and many thanks to Milliepede for finding the index entry as well. I'm very grateful.

To answer your question, keyboard, I have Henry Humphreys, born in 1878 in Marylebone. I know this because my in-law provided me with the information. I have found his marriage to Jane Martha Bell (also provided by my in-law), which lists Henry Humphreys' father as James Humphreys, a carpenter. I've further traced James Humphreys back through the censuses and found that his parents were Robert and Susan Humphreys. Henry, James and Robert all gave their occupations on the various censuses as carpenter or joiner. I know from the censuses that James was married to a woman called Jane. James Humphreys was born in 1835 in Torquay, and Jane was born in Dilling, Devon. Going on when their children were born, I've guessed when it's likely that they married and since their first two children were born in Torquay, I guessed that that's where they'd be married.

The information you've provided shows that the James Humphreys who married Jane Heale was born in 1835, was a carpenter and his father was Robert, also a carpenter, which tallies which what I already know, so it looks likely that this marriage to Jane Heale is the one I'm looking for. What I hadn't found was Jane Heale's family, so this will allow me to look for Caleb Heale, a blacksmith, which is really, really helpful.

If you can see any flaws in all this, I'd be very grateful to hear them, I don't want to go haring up any blind alleys and an impartial eye can often see things that I miss.

Again, many thanks to both of you for finding the information.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 07:55 GMT (UK) »
There's a family tree with Jane Heale born 1840 Iddesleigh Devon with father Caleb 1803 and mother Mary Weeks 1803 Marriage 1827 but not found them on census yet.

2 deaths for Caleb Heale Okehampton district which covers Iddesleigh
Mar 1839
Mar 1855

If we could find the one who died 1855 he will be on 1851 census and we could see his occupation.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 09:15 GMT (UK) »
There is a Caleb Heale on the 1851 census b1831 Iddesleigh Solicitors general clerk which is probably the one who died in 1855 interestingly there is a John Heale living next door to him b1825 also in Iddesley

Brothers of Jane?

HO107/1885/155/35

Off Familysearch there is a baptism 23.12.1832 Iddesleigh Caleb parents Caleb and Mary and 7.10.1827 John parents Caleb and Mary

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if Caleb the father blacksmith has died before 1841.

Having said that if Jane was born around 1840 to be 21 when she married then he can't have died too early!
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Very true if it was the Caleb who died 1839 then it might just be possible if Jane was born late 1939/early 1840

Caleb b 1832 is on the 1841 census in Iddesleigh with

Robert Heale 45 wheelwright
Mary Heale 45
Elizabeth 15
John 15
Abel 14
Caleb 10

Did wonder if maybe Mary was living with Calebs brother

looking further this Caleb might not have been the one who died 1855 so I wonder if that is Janes father that died then but cannot find any of them 41/51

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 10:20 GMT (UK) »
To be even more annoying it looks like Robert Heale died 1849  so cant check him on the 1851

Willow x