Author Topic: Devon marriage lookup, please  (Read 10873 times)

Offline Aniseed

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Devon marriage lookup, please
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 19 February 15 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Right, I've had a chance to go through all the information that you found yesterday and I think it boils down to this:

John Heale married: 5 December 1795 Iddesleigh John Heale to Elizabeth Woodman

Caleb Heale baptised:  CALLEB Heale 19th February 1804 Iddesleigh Father John Mother Elizabeth

Also born to John Heale and Elizabeth:
Mary 1 September1799
Abel 19 January1806
William 4 September1808

Mary Weeks baptised:  11 March 1804 Iddesleigh Father Henery Mother Jane

Caleb Heale married:  18 April 1827 Iddesleigh Caleb Heale to Mary Weeks

7 October 1827 baptism at Iddesleigh John parents Caleb and Mary (it would seem that Mary was 6 months pregnant when they married)
23 December 1832 baptism at Iddesleigh Caleb parents Caleb and Mary

1851 census
Mary Heale 47 b Iddesleigh married smiths wife
William Heale 19 son b Iddesleigh smith
Jane Heale 10 dau b Iddesleigh
Grace Heale 7 dau b Iddesleigh

Caleb Heale buried:  7th March 1855 Iddesleigh aged 51 abode Middle Wick in the parish of Iddesleigh

Plus the various sightings of Caleb junior and also Mary as a widow in the censuses. I think the Grace Hawking that Mary stayed with was her daughter, as I found a record in the BMD index for Arscot Hawking (what a name!) marrying Grace Heale Jul-Sep Okehampton 5b 681.

The only thing that's not entirely clear to me is who this pair were
Caleb Heale married Grace Heale 2 April 1810 Iddesleigh
this Caleb must have been born in about 1790. Perhaps he was nephew of John Heale, born to one of John's brothers. He could have been the chap who died in 1839.

I do thank everyone for looking all this up, it's been really helpful.

I do have one further lookup request, actually it's sort of 2 in 1. The original couple I was interested in was Henry Humphreys and Jane Heale. I'm now interested in Henry's grandparents Robert Humphreys and Susan. From the censuses Robert was born in Cockington, Torquay, in about 1790, while Susan was born in Torquay in 1788. There's a marriage listed for a Robert Humphreys in 1811 in Cockington, Devon, and also a baptism in 1788. I'd be very grateful if someone could look those two up for me.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 19 February 15 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, will look further for you, in addition to the known children of Caleb and Mary, their was also a Henry HEAL baptised 24th May 1829 Iddesleigh Father Caleb occ Blacksmith Mother Mary

Also William HELE baptism 13th February 1831 Iddesleigh Father Caleb occ Blacksmith Mother Mary

Grace Heale 3rd December 1843 Father Caleb occ Blacksmith Mother Mary

Jane Heale 14th February 1841 Iddesleigh Father Caleb occ Blacksmith Mother Mary
In your reply to my marriage find to James Humphreys you mentioned her pob as DILLING, was this from a census return?

The Jane b c 1854 with Mary in 1861 is possibly a Grandchild of Henry eg an Elizabeth Jane b Dolton?

The Caleb Heale death in 1839 was burial Caleb Heale 27th March 1839 Iddesleigh aged 63 abode Lower Week in Iddesleigh.

The witnesses at the marriage in 1810 Caleb Heale to Grace Heale, were John Braund and Grace Heale
Keyboard86
Done it again!!

Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 19 February 15 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, will look further for you, in addition to the known children of Caleb and Mary, their was also a Henry HEAL baptised 24th May 1829 Iddesleigh Father Caleb occ Blacksmith Mother Mary

Also William HELE baptism 13th February 1831 Iddesleigh Father Caleb occ Blacksmith Mother Mary

Grace Heale 3rd December 1843 Father Caleb occ Blacksmith Mother Mary

Jane Heale 14th February 1841 Iddesleigh Father Caleb occ Blacksmith Mother Mary
In your reply to my marriage find to James Humphreys you mentioned her pob as DILLING, was this from a census return?

The Jane b c 1854 with Mary in 1861 is possibly a Grandchild of Henry eg an Elizabeth Jane b Dolton?

The Caleb Heale death in 1839 was burial Caleb Heale 27th March 1839 Iddesleigh aged 63 abode Lower Week in Iddesleigh.

The witnesses at the marriage in 1810 Caleb Heale to Grace Heale, were John Braund and Grace Heale
So if John Heale married Elizabeth Woodman in 1795 not this marriage?
 Done it again!
Keyboard86

Offline Aniseed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 20 February 15 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those extra baptisms, keyboard, that's useful.

As for Jane Heale' birth place, yes, in the 1881 census it's given as Dilling, Devon, but in the 1891 census it's given as Torquay. Perhaps she was trying to find somewhere that people might have heard of in London (where she ended up), or perhaps the person filling in the form wasn't too sure exactly where she'd been born.

I agree about the Elizabeth Jane who was born in Dolton in the 1861 census with Mary Heale was probably a granddaughter rather than a daughter. There is a record for that baptism on FindMyPast, which might give her parents.

So the Caleb Heale who died in 1839 was born in 1876, or thereabouts. I wondered whether he might have been a brother of John Heale, and so our Caleb's uncle, but I have no way of knowing. None of the family trees on Ancestry mention that, but then they don't give their sources, so who knows where they got their information from.

This marriage between Caleb Heale and Grace Heale is also a puzzler. They must have been cousins of a sort, first or second or what have you. My brain is starting to hurt with all these relations now!

Thanks for looking all that up. Things are graudally becoming clearer (in general!).

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 20 February 15 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi again:-

Marriage by banns Robert Humphreys to Susanna Morgan 10th November 1811 Cockington

Baptism Robert Humphery born 31st July 1788 baptised 14th August 1788 Cockington Father John Mother Mary

Baptism Susanna Morgan born 4th March 1787 baptised 19th March 1787 Tormoham, Torquay Father Job Mother Ann

Or
Susan Morgan born 15th April 1787 baptised 29th April 1787 Tormoham, Torquay
Father John Mother Elizabeth
Keyboard86

Offline Aniseed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 20 February 15 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very, very much for that keyboard, I really appreciate it.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 20 February 15 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Henry Heale married Elizabeth Ware March qtr 1852 Torrington 5b 831

In 1861:-

Henry Heale 28? Occ Farm Lab b Iddesleigh
Elizth 27 b Winkleigh
Mary 8 b Dolton
Henry 5 b Dolton
John 2 b Dolton
Residing at Dowland Village
Census ref RG09/1498/33/3

In 1871 as Henry HILE aged 40 b Iddesleigh
Census ref RG10/2195/35/7
Keyboard86

Offline Ebad806

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hello, My ancestor, Caleb Heale is the son or connected to the Heales you are talking about.

I'm having issues finding a little bit of information about him. What I can tell you is he sailed to Australia looking for gold. There are plenty of us over here.

I hope to hear from you, regards from Elizabeth

Offline Ebad806

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 09 March 20 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Caleb Heale, 1832 born to Caleb Heale and Mary ? Caleb sr is a Blacksmith. Ancestry is full of people copying anything and everything.

I think my Caleb is eldest brother of your Jane? Some of these comments are very interesting for me THANK YOU.

You can't find my Caleb because you are not looking in the right place! He married and sailed away to the Victorian gold fields, AUSTRALIA.

they had 5 children and the family is still going strong. But only one person really searching for the "right Heales!" That's me...

I have done my DNA so has my mother we are on gedmatch