Author Topic: Devon marriage lookup, please  (Read 10836 times)

Offline Aniseed

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Devon marriage lookup, please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thank you for all this information. I had a look for Caleb snr last night, and came up with what I think is him and his family in Dowland, Devon. He's been mis-transcribed on Ancestry as Caleb Hall, he was born in 1807 and is living with wife Mary, and children William 9, Caleb 8, and Jane 4 months and is a smith. If you look at the image, the surname is Heale and not Hall, in my opinion, anyway. It's Registration District Torrington, piece 251, book 3, folio 6, page 7, if that helps to find it. I'd welcome the opinion of anyone here about whether it is the ones I'm looking for. From the other censuses of Jane in later life as Jane Humphreys, the year of birth does fit. I'd misread her age on one of the censuses and thought she was born in 1846, but it turns out it was 1840 or 1841.

I'm in a bit of a rush at the moment. I'll come back later. Thanks again.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Ha! Think I have found them in 1851 down as Weaks

East Week? Iddesleigh

Mary Heale 47 b Iddesleigh married smiths wife
William Heale 19 son b Iddesleigh smith (down as age 49)
Jane Heale 10 dau b Iddesleigh
Grace Heale 7 dau b Iddesleigh

HO107/1885/191/13

Caleb isnt with them

BUT! as the one daughter is called Grace there might be the following clue to his parents

Caleb Heale to Grace Heale 2/4/1810 Iddesleigh also 18.4.1827 Iddesleigh Caleb Heale to Mary Weeks (Maybe thats where the mix up came from)

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Aniseed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 11:57 GMT (UK) »
That's a great find Willow! Where did you find the marriage information?

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch https://familysearch.org/search

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Aniseed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Aha, thanks Willow. I find that site has become really frustrating. I haven't used it for a few years now, having got as far back with my own family as I can, and the old site was so much easier to use. Maybe I just haven't learned all the functionality of the new site.

The family tree on Ancestry goes way, way back with the Heale family. Back when I was a beginner I'd have merrily put all of that into my own tree, but now I never feel I can trust other people's research, so it'll have to be an interesting footnote.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 12:25 GMT (UK) »
It is annoying on that site - best bet is to do the search and then click on the collections to narrow it down

I know what you mean I only do my own research and dont trust what others put down. I had one person contact me about a line that she said her aunt had traced back to some Earl in London - no I had traced him back to Tipton in the West Mids and he was illigitimate

I never did get a reply to that e-mail

Willow x

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi again the death of Caleb in 1855:-

Burial 7th March 1855 Iddesleigh aged 51 abode Middle Wick in the parish of Iddesleigh

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, his baptism looks to be:-

CALLEP Heale 19th February 1804 Iddesleigh Father John Mother Elizabeth
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 13:46 GMT (UK) »
That makes more sense Keyboard

This might be their marriage

John Heale to Elizabeth Woodman 5.12.1795 Iddesleigh

Willow x