Author Topic: Lockhart at Paisley, 1811  (Read 8100 times)

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lockhart at Paisley, 1811
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 March 15 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Following up on my own post... mystery solved!  I hope it might help someone else.

At Scotland's People found this record:

“Henderson - Margaret, daughter of John Henderson, Weaver, by Helen Orr, born 23rd, baptized 24th May 1792”

That explains everything!  Helen Orr was the mother of Margaret Henderson, making Helen the grandmother of my Ellen Lockhart!  Ellen had happy memories of her grandmother, gave the same name to her own child, Helen Orr Clezie.  Now it all makes perfect sense.

Helen Orr from Paisley is my 4X-great-grandmother!

Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 04:57 BST (UK) »
A correction: I twice incorrectly said the wife of William Lockhart was "Margaret Ferguson" when I really meant Margaret HENDERSON, daughter of John Henderson and Helen Orr, married at Paisley Low Church in 1784. 

Margaret Henderson married William Lockhart in 1811 at Paisley High Church.  He was a soldier at time of marriage, having enlisted in 1807 at Barony, Lanarkshire.  Military records said he was from Lanark - does that mean the town of Lanark, or merely Lanarkshire?  This couple migrated to Canada before 1831, when William was shown in the census at St-Philippe, near Montréal, a rope-maker.  He died in 1833 during a cholera outbreak.  His widow Margaret soon remarried to John Cloyd or Cloyde, an upholsterer; they moved to Troy, New York, shown in the 1840 census; and ten dayys after the census, Margaret's daughter Ellen married James Kerr Clezie, born 1816 at Edrom, Berwickshire.  John Cloyd(e) died before 1860; his widow Margaret was in the 1860 census at Chicago, Illinois, living with an adult daughter.  Margaret died in 1879, buried at Graceland Cemetery, Chicago.  Now I know two more branches of my ancestry: Hendersons from Paisley and Lockharts from Lanark.  But I still can't find a date of birth or baptism for Ellen Lockhart, 1816-17 at Paisley.  How to find the date? 

Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 December 18 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Still looking - years later - for birth or baptism record of ELLEN LOCKHART, born between 1815-17 at Paisley, daughter of William Lockhart & Margaret Henderson. 

William Lockhart was born at Hamilton, Lanarkshire; he joined the 71st Foot Regiment.  He married Margaret Henderson, on 7 Sep 1811 at Paisley High Church; she was a daughter of John Henderson & Helen Orr, from Paisley. 

The children of the young couple were:
1.  Archibald Lockhart, baptized 19 June 1812 at Paisley High Church
2.  John Lockhart, baptized 10 Nov 1814 at Paisley High Church
3.  Ellen (or Helen?) Lockhart, born about 1816-17, probably at Paisley
4.  Mary Lockhart, baptized 13 Feb 1819 at Paisley High Church
5.  Jean Lockhart, born about 1822, details unknown
6.  Janet Lockhart, baptized 13 June 1824 at Paisley High Church
7.  Jane Lockhart, born about 1826, details unknown
8.  Margaret Lockhart, born about 1828, details unknown
9. Robert Henderson Lockhart, baptized 15 Dec 1833 at Saint Gabriel's Street Scotch Presyterian Church, Montreal.

The third child - Ellen - is my ancestor.  Cannot find any record of her in Scotland.  She doesn't seem to exist!

This family moved to Canada, about 1830.  William Lockhart was listed in the 1831 Canada census at St-Philippe, Quebec, near Montreal, occupation: ropemaker, with his wife and 6 daughters, unnamed.

How to find some record of Ellen's birth or baptism, probably at Paisley about 1815-17?

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 December 18 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Not found Ellen but have found Jean she was christened 2 Jun 1822 Paisley High church like the rest Lockhart is spelt Lochhart

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 December 18 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Wendy.  So all of their children were christened at Paisley High Church, at least until 1822.  Which suggests that Ellen / Helen should have a record at the same place!  Why are we unable to find any mention of the eldest daughter in the family?

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 December 18 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Could be that the part of the parish book or the book its self has been destroyed through damp or lost I recall that approx. only a third if all pre 1855 BMD's have survived
Just checked and between the years of 1814 and 1819 using the surname of ** only 50 christening records for Paisley are on Scotland's People and 41 for 1819 to 1824 which is low Compared to the 11576 people living in Paisley age 15 to 30 in 1841 for the census
Not entirely scientific but gives you an idea 

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Still looking for a baptism record for Ellen / Helen Lockhart, probably about 1816, daughter of William Lockhart & Margaret Henderson.  Records have now been found for her siblings born in 1812, 1814, 1819, 1824, all at Paisley.  But Ellen herself is missing.  Some of these baptisms were at High Church but others just say Paisley, without naming the specific church.  Maybe she was baptized at Middle or Low church?  Unknown.  Apart from FamilySearch, are there any suggestions to find Paisley baptism records between 1815-17?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Apart from FamilySearch, are there any suggestions to find Paisley baptism records between 1815-17?
The only online source for Scottish baptism records is www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. FamilySearch has an index but no actual records.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

If it's not on Scotland's People, but it is on FamilySearch, it is unreliable and you need to follow the trail until you find the original source.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I've searched Scotland's People in the past without success.  But I can give it another try.    Maybe more records have been added?  We'll see...