Author Topic: Hereford Look-Up Request- Blakemere  (Read 5810 times)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Hereford Look-Up Request- Blakemere
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 February 15 11:01 GMT (UK) »
The Blakemere church is visible from the road, I think  :-\  I was trying to think where the Preston on Wye one was, because I can only think of the chapel there.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 February 15 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Is it not next to the red brick manor house, quite near the river, we had walked from Moccas, so were not concentrating by then, as we still had to walk back  :)

Mike
edit. Preston on Wye that is.  I must be blind not to have seen blakemere

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 February 15 17:25 GMT (UK) »
If it is any help, I am a mere stones throw away from Madley and Blakemere, so if you want I can go and have a wander around the gravestones to see if there are any remaining Winston inscriptions?

Have seen a suggestion on British-history ac.  that there may be a floor slab in the nave of Blakemere church. James Winston 169?

Mike

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 February 15 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Excellent, I'll try and get into the church to see if I can get a photo of the slab.  All being well, I should be able to go the churches this weekend.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 February 15 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Went to Blakemere church this afternoon.  We did check the graveyard (whilst dodging the rain and hail downpours!), but didn't see a Winston grave.  We found the Winston slab inside the church.  It's in a really awkward position photograph wise - as you enter the church it is one of the first slabs you encounter and bordered by a radiator on one side, and a partiton to create a vestry on another side.  Anyway, attached is a couple of photos.

Nope, apparently can't attach.  I'll PM them to you (and Mazi, just for your interest).  The transcription reads: Here lieth (?) the body of James Winston [eroded slab] Gent who Died [eroded slab] 1743 Aged 47  Rebeccah James Died April 1773 Aged 66

Couldn't pm them either, so they are on this thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=713572.0

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 February 15 17:57 GMT (UK) »
So British history got it wrong, this could be the james born in llanwarne in 1696.

Mike

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 21 February 15 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Have added a couple of photos to the other thread which show a grave slab for 1693.  Don't think it is James Winston, but perhaps someone with better eyes can see something I can't. ;D

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 21 February 15 18:29 GMT (UK) »
I think the first pic is very promising, is Rebecca his wife, I don't think so.

The James born in llanwarne was to James and Ann, there is a Rebecca born to a James and Ann in Blakemere in 1706.

Offline nigelspicer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Firstly thank you to all who have commented, but especially to Spidermonkey et al for braving the elements on my behalf- very good of you. My starting point that I am fairly confident about is a Helen Winston (my 5xggm) christened in Blakemere 14 may 1736 to a James and Elizabeth. Purely on a speculative basis I had then assumed that this James was the one christened in Madley 28 Sep 1701 but as you have now pointed out there are other contenders, not least the one named on the floor slab. Not sure how I will resolve this lot but I have been in touch with the College of Arms to get a transcript of the 1683 Visitation that has a pedigree of the Winston's of Blakemere- maybe that will provide something interesting.
Nigel