Author Topic: Jane Watts of Stalbridge/Lydlinch  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Dunbrack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Watts of Stalbridge/Lydlinch
« on: Thursday 19 February 15 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Jane Watts married George Poole of Stalbridge on 2 April 1798. I am trying to find out a little bit more about Jane (where and when she was born, who her parents were). Census and burial records suggest she was probably born in the early to mid 1760s. An online search of the Dorset For You archives yielded two intriguing records, which may shed some light on Jane's earlier life.

1      Settlement Examination of JaneWatts, now residing in Stalbridge (PE-LYD/OV/3/2/9)
file

2      Bond entered into by Benjamin Prankard of Stalbridge, hosier and Samuel Prankard of     Stalbridge, hosier (reputed father) to indemnify the parish from paying maintenance for the illegitimate child of JaneWatts (PE-LYD/OV/5/1/9)

I'd love to see these docs but as I live in Nova Scotia a trip to Dorchester is out of the question -- at least for now. I checked Ancestry and these records have not yet made it onto their site. I'm wondering whether someone in Dorset might get a chance to have a peek at these docs on my behalf during a trip to the Dorset History Centre. I'd be delighted to reciprocate if anyone happens to have any Nova Scotia archival enquiries.
Poole Dorset Devon Somerset Newfoundland

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Watts of Stalbridge/Lydlinch
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 February 15 16:15 GMT (UK) »
The marriage record has two witnesses; Robert Bartlett and Thomas Lemon. It also says that Jane was of this parish at her marriage.
regards
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Dunbrack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 February 15 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I've actually been able to find out a fair amount about Jane from the time of her marriage to George Poole and forward. But I can't find anything about her prior to the marriage. That's why the Lydlinch settlement examination and Bastardy bond intrigued. They may well provide clues as to her origins
Poole Dorset Devon Somerset Newfoundland

Offline jan.jan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 May 15 17:04 BST (UK) »
I've got copies of the documents and have sent you a private message

Regards

Jan