Author Topic: Lowry a Watchmaker at Belfast 1840 onwards  (Read 4006 times)

Offline NormanE

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lowry a Watchmaker at Belfast 1840 onwards
« on: Friday 20 February 15 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Linked to the Watson Family (Ballynahinch Co Down?) there is a watch made by a Lowry jeweller /watchmaker possibly with initials F or S The watch is a pocket version possibly silver with a white face. There is serial number of"1049". I can date its ownership in the Watson family to at least 1884.
Any details of the maker, his trading, and dating of the serial number would be much appreciated
Regards
NormanE

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lowry a Watchmaker at Belfast 1840 onwards
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 February 15 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Could the initial possibly be J?

The Will of John Lowry late of 15 Wellington Park-terrace Belfast Watchmaker who died 26 January 1886 at same place was proved at Belfast by Mary Ellen Porter of Elfleda House Cambridge (Wife of Hugh Porter) Jane Vahey of Bella Vista Villa Old Swindon County Wilts (Wife of Herbert Vahey) and Elizabeth Lyttle of Wellington Park-terrace Belfast (Wife of James A. H. Lyttle) the Executrixes.
http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 February 15 17:24 GMT (UK) »
An 1861 directory has J & S Lowry at 66 High Street, Belfast. They were watchmakers.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline hashi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 July 16 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hello NormanE,

John Lowry is my 3 x great grandfather.  I know very little about his family history and I would like to know more about the connection with the Watson family that you mentioned.

He was born on 11 Aug 1811 in Drumbo.  His first wife was called Mary and she died in 1878.  He subsequently remarried Agnes Clarke in 1879.

He seems to have been quite a well known Chronometer & Watchmaker on High St Belfast, but he travelled to & trained in London (according to his adverts in the newspapers!).

I have obtained a pretty damaged watch movement but would be very interested to learn more about his work.

If you need any further information please ask.
Kind regards
Ian

Offline OwlWhuttle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Ian.  I have an old silver half hunter watch, the mechanism of which is marked J.Lowry of Belfast.  I think it likely it is a family heirloom passed down from my ggrandfather possibly.  Do you know if there was a catalogue of watches made by Lowry?  The silver case is made by James Jackson of London and is date stamped 1869 and serial number 33554.  I'd be interested to hear about John Lowry the watchmaker.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 April 21 09:38 BST (UK) »
Welcome  :)
The original poster has been online very recently but never replied to the previous post so you may not get a reply either. To answer the last post-
John Lowry is my 3 x great grandfather.  I know very little about his family history and I would like to know more about the connection with the Watson family that you mentioned.
I think that the only 'connection' is that the Watson family owned a Lowry watch.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline OwlWhuttle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 April 21 22:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Delighted to hear Ian has logged in recently.  Is there some way to alert him to my interest?
Hope he makes contact.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 April 21 10:29 BST (UK) »
The member is being notified of replies to their topics by email but looking back at other topics I don't see them replying to messages  ???

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline OwlWhuttle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 August 22 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Ian, I thought I would try again in hope of reaching you.  I’m interested to talk to you about John Lowry the watchmaker of High Street, Belfast.

Hello NormanE,

He was born on 11 Aug 1811 in Drumbo.  His first wife was called Mary and she died in 1878.  He subsequently remarried Agnes Clarke in 1879.

He seems to have been quite a well known Chronometer & Watchmaker on High St Belfast, but he travelled to & trained in London (according to his adverts in the newspapers!).

I have obtained a pretty damaged watch movement but would be very interested to learn more about his work.

If you need any further information please ask.
Kind regards
Ian