Author Topic: Birth/baptism lookup request Crispe family  (Read 12087 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/baptism lookup request Crispe family
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 22 February 15 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Some local libraries offer free access to FindMyPast - might be worth checking yours?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline elissajeanette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 22 February 15 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Is all that on Findmypast? If I got a subscription to that do you think I could access those records?

Findmypast has images for births marriages and deaths in their British India Office collections. You will need to pay to view the images.
Births       http://www.rootschat.com/links/01esf/
Marriages  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01esg/
Deaths      http://www.rootschat.com/links/01esh/

The military record for John Frederick Crisp on there is not your JFC. 

The copy of the will and deceased accounts for JFC are also on there.

You should also be able to find information on both of his wives and maybe his father / grandfather

FindMyPast sometimes have some very cheap offers running for a monthly subscription.  You could always do the 14 day trial but if you do ensure that you untick the auto renew box or they will take money from your account.

Rosie

Thank you Rosie! I might try the 14 day free trial subscription next week.

Offline elissajeanette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 22 February 15 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Some local libraries offer free access to FindMyPast - might be worth checking yours?

Thanks KGarrad, I'll check with my Uni library and major city library just in case :)

Offline JoHopkins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Very excited to come across this thread.  I am related to Ian Miller-Crisp's first wife's (Doris Muriel McLeod, nee Lancaster)'s first husband, Donald George McLeod.   I shall plough through the thread in due course.  If anyone knows what became of him I'd love to know.  I'd also like to know if Doris brought children from her first marriage (ie any McLeods) into the second one.  Anyone know?

Offline Wiggle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 25 October 18 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi I’m related to Ethel ..she was my granddads sister. .. I’ve been doing my family tree recently ..and only just found this thread by accident.
My mother passed away a few years ago, and had written about her family and that includes the people you mentioned.
I’m still in process of high lighting info that relates to the extended family. But she recalls letters received from her aunts Ethel, and newspaper cuttings she writes about....her return. Which ship... etc. I’ll sort them all together logically for all relatives and contact you, and hopefully fill in some gaps you have. I know a little back ground too about her fathers history before he was a gamekeeper and where all that was.

Offline Wiggle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 26 October 18 00:04 BST (UK) »
Further to that information, about Ethel and my connection, I was brought up in Wombwell, and visited her personally, at mellor rd. ... and my grandma was married to her brother hence my knowledge of her adventures, as Grandma was also in the Salvation Army, and how that all fits.
 I found the information here helpful personally helpful to my search. I was a child when I first became aware of some info... it’s only now as I use written info from those who knew her that the bigger picture is expanded upon. I can confirm it was Ethel’s husband that went to Edinburgh uni.. that is confirmed in the text I have. There are two a4 folders to sort through ..I’m re reading to caterlogue each person mentioned to insert into my tree folders.permindividual.
Hope this will be helpful still if you read this .

Offline elissajeanette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 25 April 20 06:39 BST (UK) »
Very excited to come across this thread.  I am related to Ian Miller-Crisp's first wife's (Doris Muriel McLeod, nee Lancaster)'s first husband, Donald George McLeod.   I shall plough through the thread in due course.  If anyone knows what became of him I'd love to know.  I'd also like to know if Doris brought children from her first marriage (ie any McLeods) into the second one.  Anyone know?

Hi Jo, Sorry for the VERY belated reply, I must have missed your comment. It's possible McLeod children were brought into the new marriage, but that connection didn't get continued after Ian's death. My aunts (Ian's children) were very young (one was still in the womb) when Ian died and they always said that they thought there were half siblings in India but had no way of knowing who they were or how to get in touch with them. They thought that those relatives may have some key documents or just family knowledge about their father that may help and it was a point of frustration or sadness that they couldn't reach out. I have found no record of children from Ian and Doris so  maybe that family legend was based on Doris' children from her first marriage...

Thank you for your reply on this forum though, it confirmed some key information about Ian because I had the wrong birth date for him and looking into Doris allowed me to find record of Ian that helped me fill in some blanks. Thank you very much!