Author Topic: GOSS Family Canada - Originally From Liverpool  (Read 16709 times)

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GOSS Family Canada - Originally From Liverpool
« on: Saturday 21 February 15 18:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm tracing the GOSS family who emigrated to Canada from Liverpool. Circa 1950s-1960s.
John GOSS worked at Lucas, Edge Lane Liverpool. I do not know where in Canada they settle. However, shortly after they arrived in Canada, John GOSS & his wife were killed in a car crash. His young children stayed in Canada & were raised by relatives. 

I know that this is a long-shot, but I would be grateful for any information about this family.

Thanks you

HG2.
Freeman Freedman Friedman.
Cohen
Rosenburg
From Leeds, Ireland, Liverpool & Lithuania

Welsby
From Lancashire and London.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: GOSS Family Canada - Originally From Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 February 15 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

When was John Goss born ?  What was the name of his wife ?  Any further information on the other relatives ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 February 15 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

When was John Goss born ?  What was the name of his wife ?  Any further information on the other relatives ?

Sandra

Hi Sandra

I don't know a lot about him I'm afraid. He was born in Liverpool at a guess, around 1920, give or take 5 years. He was an engineer & worked at the Lucas factory in Liverpool for many years. I don't know his wife's name as yet, but his wife had a sister who had emigrated to Canada earlier. His wife's sister brought their children up after John & his wife were killed outright when a drunk driver, driving on the wrong side of the road crashed into them. The children, at least two sons, were in the back seat & survived the crash.

When I learn more I will add to this.  I know it's basic & not helped by not knowing where in Canada they settled!

I do have photographs of John & his wife, that may help to identify the family later.

HG2
Freeman Freedman Friedman.
Cohen
Rosenburg
From Leeds, Ireland, Liverpool & Lithuania

Welsby
From Lancashire and London.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Not much to go on, but I might have found them...

Globe and Mail newspaper has an article April 16, 1960.  Headline is "Former Toronto Pair Killed in U.S. Crash."  John W Goss, 40 and his wife Agnes, 35 and son A*, 10 were in a car accident on the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey.  It was a head on crash.  The parents were killed and A* was in critical condition at the hospital in Hillsdale New Jersey.  The Gosses were hit by a car travelling the wrong way in their lane.  The driver of the other car was also killed.  The family, except son J* Jr, had moved from Long Branch (part of Toronto) to Linden, New Jersey, 6 months ago.  Mr Goss was a machinist at the Carpenter Steel company of Kearny N.J..  J* Jr. had stayed behind in Toronto to finish his studies at New Toronto High School.  The Goss family came from England originally. 

This might be them??
RK

Oops - I modified this post to remove the sons' names - they might still be living.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 03:11 GMT (UK) »
ALso a short piece in the Toronto Star on the same day.  It seems like the parents and A* were driving north to spend the Easter holiday with their son J* when they were killed. :'(

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Free BMD has a marriage of John W Goss to Agnes E McDowall in Liverpool N, DecQ of 1941

RK

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 03:26 GMT (UK) »
And a Male Goss birth in 1943 Liverpool

Keyboard86

PS amended post due to the fact the person concerned could still be alive.
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 03:29 GMT (UK) »
Oooh - good find.

Also, Agnes E McDowall born in West Derby Lancs JunQ 1918 - mother's maiden name is Thrussell.  Doesn't quite match with Agnes's age as given in the articles, but could be her.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 04:24 GMT (UK) »
Findagrave has this

John Goss - interred April 20, 1960 in Rosedale and Rosehill Cemetery, Linden NJ.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=101798586

Not seeing Agnes on the findagrave site, but on the cemetery site, it lists both Agnes and John Goss, interred on April 20, 1960.  Location - Rosedale, GOSPEL-335C-1 /SD

http://www.rosedale-rosehill.com/search_names.cfm