Author Topic: Haggart Ancestry  (Read 18561 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Haggart Ancestry
« Reply #18 on: Monday 23 February 15 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've done a bit of digging re. Wm Hagert on 1891 Canadian Census.
The couple he is living with and are David Lawrie age 82 and Allison Lawrie age 65. He is recorded as their nephew.
I wonder if the name Lawrie is a mistranscription and the couple are in fact David and Allison Powrie.

There is a David Powrie born 1814  and an Allison Powrie born 1826 at Plympton, Kent Ontario on the Ontario 1861 Census. There are 3 girls with them all born Scotland - Susan Powrie born 1843, Janet Powrie born 1845 and Ann Powrie born 1851.
David with year of birth 1813 and Allison 1829 are recorded at Plympton on the 1871 Canada Census as Poory.
I can't find them on 1881 Census.

Found  a birth for Susan Powrie 1843 at Errol Perthshire parents David Powrie and Susan Craig. There is a marriage for David and Susan at Kettins, Angus https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTV5-4XB
There is also a marriage at Errol for a David Powrie and an Alison Wood in 1853.https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY3W-3HQ

David Powrie is on Scotland 1851 Census - a widower with 3 daughters.......

All supposition at the moment and no link as yet to William Haggart/ Hagert, but I thought if he was the couples' nephew that we might be able to trace him. 

Looby :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 February 15 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Found  a birth for Susan Powrie 1843 at Errol Perthshire parents David Powrie and Susan Craig.

There is also a marriage at Errol for a David Powrie and an Alison Wood

Looby............This would tie in with the info. I posted earlier regarding Errol  :P

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 23 February 15 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Found  a birth for Susan Powrie 1843 at Errol Perthshire parents David Powrie and Susan Craig.

There is also a marriage at Errol for a David Powrie and an Alison Wood

Looby............This would tie in with the info. I posted earlier regarding Errol  :P

Annie

Hi Annie , Yes I noticed that Errol Perthshire had been noted by yourself earlier.
Only snag with that family is that William is still in Scotland in 1901 when the William Haggart that Pawsaplenty is looking for is in Canada married and with children https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KHLC-G27

Could be a relative though??

Offline PawsAplenty77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank goodness for all your help!  This is a lot of sifting :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 00:44 GMT (UK) »

Hi Annie , Yes I noticed that Errol Perthshire had been noted by yourself earlier.
Only snag with that family is that William is still in Scotland in 1901
[/quote]

Looby,

My reference regarding Errol was what looked to be Williams parents from the VERY 1st post on the thread by Paws?

1st post being "William James Haggart 1868-1956
His parents: Thomas and Isabella Haggart ??

My post for possible parents "Thomas Haggart & Isabel Haggart, 1853, Errol, Perth"

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 01:05 GMT (UK) »
You know I think you could be right Annie with the 1871 Census :)

There is a daughter Christina Haggart age 5 (born circa 1866) and on Familysearch there is this birth-   https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQ4W-4MW

Christina Haggart born at Errol. Perthshire to Thomas Haggart and Isabel Wood ! 
David Powrie widower marries an Alison Wood.

The 1901 entry - William Haggart age 38 is a puzzle though. This looks like the child from the 1871 30 years on.....  :-\

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Looby,

To be honest, I think purchasing a few certs. for this lot is a must  ???

Not sure if there has been a death of a wife, a 2nd marriage or extra marital affair but it sure looks an exciting/interesting tree to me  ;D  ::)  :P

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Looby................

I wonder if Thomas had 2 sons with 2 different women named William  ???

Annie

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Have just spent an evening working on this - like these little mysteries!

I completely agree that the link here is Errol, Perthshire and not Dundee - however, it's a somewhat confusing story.

Starting with William Haggart himself - I am sure that a) he was 3 years older than he said (he was a fair bit older that his wife) and b) that the day of the month he was born is not as shown on a census.  I feel certain that he is the William Haggart b.30/6/1864 Errol, Perthshire, son of Thomas Haggart and Isabella Gellatley - his birth was registered by his mother and the date of parents marriage is shown as 7th December 1857 Perth.

2nd bit of confusion - Thomas Haggart did indeed marry 7/12/1857 (as a widower aged 43 & a Salmon Fisher) but certificate shows her to be Margt. (?) Gellatly.   All their childrens births show her as Isabel/Isabella so can only assume this was an error on behalf of the cleric at the time.   Her parents are shown as - wait for it - Reputed father Thomas Wood, Shoemaker  and Margaret Gellatly who were clearly unmarried.   So, was Allison Wood who married David Powrie 11/1/1853 Errol a sister or half-sister of Isabella?

Thomas Haggart is still unmarried on 1851 census (transcribed as Thomis Hagart) when shown as a Fisherman (which ties in with occupation at 2nd marriage).

The only marriage I can find is one mentioned before - Thomas Haggart married to Isabel Haggart 25/2/1853 Errol.   In fact, it is the very next entry after the marriage of David Powrie and Allison Wood.  Confusingly, both David and Thomas are shown as Weavers!!   There doesn't appear to have been any children from Thomas' first marriage.

(Looby - the William Haggart in 1901 has age recorded wrongly on ancestry - should read 33 not 38!   He is unmarried and his older sister Jane is a housekeeper.   Their parents were Peter and Catherine Haggart.)

To go back to William Haggart b.1864, son of Thomas and Isabella.   There is no further trace of him in Scotland after 1881 census which ties in with your man popping up in Canada.

I can't explain the anomalies here but I feel 99.9% certain that this is your man.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk