Author Topic: Haggart Ancestry  (Read 18584 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Haggart Ancestry
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Phew! You have all been busy while I've been asleep :)

For once, if there is (as seems very likely) a mistranscription or Lawrie for Powrie, it is not the fault of Ancestry! The original handwritten census (extract attached) is very clearly Lawrie.

Death record of Alison Powrie, age 65, in Wyoming, Lambton County, Ontario on 7 November 1891, no parents named. But none for David .... unless it's David Powrie who died in Toronto on 27 December 1911. However FamilySearch have his DoB as 6 April 1815 and his age as 66! Parents Robert Towrie (sic) and Annie McPhail.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The link below has some interesting information, I had a quick look but couldn't find any trace of Robert.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=88752022

Andy

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just to confuse further there is a Robert Haggart, parents Thomas Haggart (born Errol) mother Margaret Gray. Robert was born Dundee 22nd June 1860. The 1861 and 1871 censuses back up the birth year but the date 22nd June keeps popping up. I suspect Robert is related to William and I wonder if because both have birthdays 22nd June they referred to themselves as "twins"

Andy

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Ah. I was wondering where the tautological and very un-Scottish 'Dundee, Dundee City' had come from. That seems to answer that question.

(For the benefit of anyone wondering what I mean by un-Scottish, the only time one would speak of 'Dundee City' without further qualification would be if one were talking about a football club of that name. Referring to the place, one would either just say 'Dundee' or more formally 'The City of Dundee'.)

Interesting idea about the 'twin', though William was born on 20 June 1864, not 22 June any year.

I wonder why William is showing up as aged 9 on that 1871 census? On census day 1871 he would have been 6, not 9.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 19:48 GMT (UK) »
I wonder why William is showing up as aged 9 on that 1871 census? On census day 1871 he would have been 6, not 9.

Probably looked age 6 to the enumerator?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 20:23 GMT (UK) »
This post caught my eye when I read the name Haggart.  My ex-mother-in-laws first two names were Isabella Haggart.  I think she was born in Edinburgh, but I have not investigated this side as I am having enough trouble with my ancestors.  Have you traced any who stayed in Scotland? 
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

William also had a younger brother Robert, born Errol 28th June 1873, father Thomas Haggart, mother Isabella Gellately

The 1881 census has both William & Robert living with their parents in Errol, Ancestry has transcribed the surname as Haggert

Thomas Haggert   65
Isabella Haggert   52
Isabella Haggert   12
Robert Haggert   7
William Haggert   16

Andy

Offline Sunlounger

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 01 June 15 15:42 BST (UK) »
I came across this site when researching the history of a copy of Burns' Complete Works (in 5 volumes circa 1840) which I have recently acquired. Each volume is inscribed "Presented to my daughter Charlotte Augusta Hagart by her affectionate father Robert Hagart". Some brief digging has led me to the following conclusions that Robert was from Edinburgh b1802 and d1894 and his tombstone image is available online. Charlotte was born circa 1829. Robert was living at 13 Manor Place, Edinburgh when he died and had a brother William who was born in 1797. If anyone can shed some more light I'd be very interested.

Offline FeeD

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 22:46 GMT (UK) »
This post caught my eye when I read the name Haggart.  My ex-mother-in-laws first two names were Isabella Haggart.  I think she was born in Edinburgh, but I have not investigated this side as I am having enough trouble with my ancestors.  Have you traced any who stayed in Scotland?

I have Isabella Haggart in my tree , in Edinburgh