Author Topic: Could you help with Dating this family photo please name Ramwell - in Lancashire  (Read 1298 times)

Offline lindash51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi
I wonder if you could help with dating the attached family photo. It is one that was my great aunts and I know they are relatives but I am not sure who and hope the dating will help me narrow down the options. I have had to reduce the photo to 150 dpi to reduce it below 500kb. ( I apologise if I have done this incorrectly) Thank you for looking  Kind regards Linda
Walsh, Ramwell, Roscoe, Whitworth, Hindley, Court, Lobb, Heywood, Bolton, Raby, McMail, Bullough, Fairclough

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: Could you help with Dating this family photo please name Ramwell - in Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 February 15 16:01 GMT (UK) »
About 1900 to 1905, maybe a little bit later if the lady isn't up to date with fashion. No later than about 1906 or 7 though, that style of blouse was dead as a doornail by then :)

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline lindash51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Could you help with Dating this family photo please name Ramwell - in Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 February 15 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you yet again Chinakay. You really know your fashion and I much appreciate the information you have given
Kind  regards
Linda
Walsh, Ramwell, Roscoe, Whitworth, Hindley, Court, Lobb, Heywood, Bolton, Raby, McMail, Bullough, Fairclough

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 February 15 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Quite a few Ramwells on the Lancs OPC site - also baptism for a child of the photographer Sydney Whillans  :)
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline lindash51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 February 15 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Miriamkinga. It's some time since I was on Lancs OPC so I will have another look. Ramwell is quite an uncommon surname and most - if not all originate from Bolton so any info on a Ramwell is very useful. Much appreciate your suggestion. Kind regards. Linda

Offline Whillans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 January 18 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Regarding your query about when your photo 'ramwell 26.2.15.jpg' was taken at Bolton by Sydney Whillans of Bolton.  I reply as he was my gpa.  Sydney moved to Bolton in July 1907 and he remained there until at least 1911.  By late 1912, he had definitely moved from Bolton.  So the photo must have been taken between July 1907 and late 1912.

Offline lindash51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 January 18 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Whillans for taking the time to reply. While it is a long while since I posted this photo your information is crucial to identifying these ancestors and I am pretty sure who they are now. Thank you once again Linda