Author Topic: Link: Interesting book from the 1840s Conditions of the Working Class in Dublin  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
"Facts connected with the social and sanitary condition of the working classes in the city of Dublin" (etc)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01euc

I've just given a copy of this to a friend (well, it was written by her ancestor!) It's not a light read; it was intended to be a thought provoking social document - but it really paints a clear picture of what life was like for people around the 1840 mark.

Although it primarily looks at Dublin, it does talk about the whole of the country as well, with information about housing and living conditions, infant mortality, life expectancies, etc. (the % of the population living in 1 room mud huts is a real eye opener!)

If you buy it, you are obviously not buying the book as it was published in 1840-something! What you will get is a paperback with a glossy cover, with the contents basically being scanned copies of the pages of the original. It's not badly put together at all.

Well worth a read, I think, if this period of history in Dublin/Ireland is your interest. (NB I am not advertising here, I have no connection with the printers etc, just thought other people might be interested in the recommendation).
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)