Author Topic: Scotland's People, Ancestry, FamilySearch etc: which to use?  (Read 72588 times)

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland's People, Ancestry, FamilySearch etc: which to use?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 13:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Forfarian,
The hundred year rule must be the answer.
I'm not really concerned about certificates in this case, which is just as well as I live much too far away to visit the SP Centre. I know I have these second cousins but we have lost contact with this branch of the family and I just wanted to confirm their full names and DoBs.
I'll have to pursue other avenues. :)

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline grahamila

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 05 April 19 21:17 BST (UK) »
I have only recently subscribed to Scotlands People.  Is it possible to obtain a pdf copy of a birth certificate for 1882 in the same way as you can from the GRO for England and Wales?
Graham

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 05 April 19 21:24 BST (UK) »
You just buy your credits and download it instantly MUCH better, and cheaper,   than the English  :)

Offline grahamila

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 05 April 19 22:03 BST (UK) »
Do you have an example of a birth certificate so I know I have found the correct document.  I do not require a certified copy.
Graham

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 05 April 19 22:20 BST (UK) »
Graham, Births, Marriages and Deaths are sorted separately. You do not need an example to know what you are looking for.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 05 April 19 23:39 BST (UK) »
You just buy your credits and download it instantly MUCH better, and cheaper,   than the English  :)

I agree, but there are also WELSH indexes available on the GRO.
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 05 April 19 23:52 BST (UK) »
The SP site is a little confusing at first.   there are TWO seperate searches one SET For pre 1855 and another set for post.

each set contains Birth marriage and deaths if they have them.. there are also Census return searches and Valuation Rolls  plus other kinds of searches to explore.

If you go carefully you often get brilliant results  and when they find your request the certificate is there ready to download.

YOU add credits at the start of your search and then attempt to use them sparingly.... ha ha.. never managed that.

but investigate the site before you start.. its great because the certs after 1855 are so full of added information maiden names and parents details.. brilliant...
ok..

be careful when searching for marriages that is when I mess up... with maiden names and things.

the best thing is they save your certs.. I used to have zilllllls saved but dont check now since the big change not sure if they still have them from when i started using the site way back..

xin

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 06 April 19 00:01 BST (UK) »

I agree, but there are also WELSH indexes available on the GRO.

Yes, of course  :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 06 April 19 07:30 BST (UK) »
the best thing is they save your certs.. I used to have zilllllls saved but dont check now since the big change not sure if they still have them from when i started using the site way back..
Yes. I keep coming across certs I had looked up years ago and completeley forgotten about.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.