Author Topic: Anyone interested in Saunders family members originally from Uffington Berkshire  (Read 9971 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
My grandmother was a Saunders from Uffington Berkshire (now Oxon). I have some documentation and photographs. I was told 2 Anzacs would go on leave from Western Front to Uffington. Another female Saunders married (Sir) John Garling Hurley.

I'm not getting any younger, I would like to pass on information at least before it and myself get thrown in a skip ::).   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone interested in Saunders family members originally from Uffington Berkshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 February 15 20:09 GMT (UK) »
If nobody is interested maybe the Museum at Uffington might like them. They do have the Parish registers [transcribed] and the school log book amongst other things relating to family history of the people of Uffington. ; http://www.museum.uffington.net/
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone interested in Saunders family members originally from Uffington Berkshire
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 February 15 21:42 GMT (UK) »
You would think so Youngtug, but not so. I e-mailed Uffington Museum a couple of years ago. I did not even receive the courtesy of a reply. I'm not looking for anything, I have documentation and photographs to offer. I'm not getting any younger and would rather pass on the information before it is too late.

I have spoken to old women from Uffington in the past who had memories from the first 20 years of the twentieth century. It was actually a letter from a Swindon firm of solicitors to my father in 1959 saying that he was a beneficiary under someones will that initiated my interest in family history.

Uffington is an interesting place, John Browns Schooldays etc. John Betjeman lived there 1934 to 1945 I think. Next door to my 'great aunt Queenie'. I used to take my mother up there to visit in the 80's. JB's daughter co authored an illustrated book on English country cottages. Their example for Oxon was JB's and Queenies cottages.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 February 15 22:55 GMT (UK) »
I went to the museum in the old schoolhouse last year and the person in charge at the time was very helpful and interested in genealogy but I think it is run by volunteers.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
You could try Berkshire Records Office as they hold the original registers for the area.  If they're not interested, you may have more luck with the Society of Genealogists in London - http://www.sog.org.uk/.  Their library does keep collections of documents as well as genealogies, so I would imagine they would be interested.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thanks very much for the replies. As intimated, I'm not looking for anything, merely to pass on what I have before I pass on.

A lady in Australia (descendant of a Saunders) put a request on GenesReunited about 2 years ago. I have written something and sent her a PM, but no reactions. Hence putting something on here under Australia.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
I would suggest you approach the Berkshire and Oxfordshire Family History Societies.  The former has a search room which is next door to the Berkshire Record Office where they have a number of family histories available.

My own Saunders family comes from the Thame area and they are a little distant from Uffington
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thanks very much for your reply, but as I said before (X2), I'm in the market for giving, not receiving ;). It's a pity because she knows who she is descended from. Two of them from her branch were ANZACS in WWI. They must have survived Gallipoli as they were then on the Western Front and went on leave to Uffington. I was told this in the early 80's by EMVA (Queenie) Weaver (Saunders)(c1900 - c2000), She and a couple of teenage sisters were no doubt enthralled by fit young Australians in uniform and slouch hats ::).

Now, Thame is not a million miles away. I wonder if your Saunders have anything to do with mine.

Anthony Saunders (1828 - 1899) was my grandmothers father. Anthony had two sisters, Mary Elizabeth (marr. Henry Raven) and Jane marr. Mr Lovett of Cricklade.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,

Maybe the Australian War Memorial would be interested in the documents and photos, try an email to them.

www.awm.gov.au

Gerry