Author Topic: Anyone interested in Saunders family members originally from Uffington Berkshire  (Read 9973 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Thanks Gerry.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone interested in Saunders family members originally from Uffington Berkshire
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 March 15 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Regorian

Do you have any further information/clues in the documents that you have?

The National Archives (Australia) has digitised service records for almost all Australian WW1 soldiers.  Unfortunately, there are literally hundreds with the surname SAUNDERS - and, of course, this may not even have been the surname of these soldiers.

I've had a quick look at the list and cannot see any enlisted men born in Berks or Oxon - and again, we don't know if they had been born in England or anywhere else.

You may care to have a look at the site -
http://www.naa.gov.au/
Go to the Search the collection link and put in the surname and the dates 1914 to 1918.

Not much help, I'm afraid, unless you can give us some more information.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone interested in Saunders family members originally from Uffington Berkshire
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 March 15 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judith,

Thank you very much for your kind efforts. As I said earlier, I'm not looking for anything.

To reiterate, I picked up a request from an Australian lady on GenesReunited dated 2013 for information about Saunders family of Uffington. I posted my ability to help. No contact so sent a PM. No reply although she must still be a paid up member. So, put down a scent here hoping she may be a Rootschatter. 

She will know her Australian history, it only goes back to 1872 when two Saunders brothers emigrated to Australia on a sailing ship from Uffington. I can give her quite a bit of Uffington end docs. and pics. on whole Saunders family.

I'd better put Completed on this so that no more generous souls waste their time. 

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 March 15 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Don't be too quick to put "completed" on.  The Aussie R'chat board has been know to solve some almost impossible searches.  And, in any case, leaving it up for a few days may alert the person you are trying to contact.  Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 March 15 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Taken your advice Judith.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 March 15 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I am fairly certain that we have no 19th century connection as I have a fairly complete tree of my Saunders from Richard Wells Saunders who was born in Tetsworth in 1789 and moved to Thame by the time of his marriage to Mary Woolhouse in 1816.  I can go back in Tetsworth for a few generations.  The Woolhouse name is used as a second Christian name for many generations.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 March 15 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Pity David, but Saunders not an uncommon name.

Roger

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 March 15 12:07 GMT (UK) »
The lady has replied through GenesReunited this morning. Apparently, she still has very little knowledge of her Uffington Saunders roots. She said she was on Ancestry and perhaps someone from there and here alerted her to my messages. So, big thanks are due to you.

She sent a photo of the thatched cottage in the 30's with people outside. I remember two of them in 1953, I was only ten at the time. I can send her photos of what it looks like now, identical but in better condition.     

Offline AussieSal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 03:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
I just found your post and may be able to help. John Garling Hurley (his mother was Annie Elizabeth Garling) married Alice Edith Saunders. John Garling Hurley is a relation of mine. Interestingly we just held the 200 year anniversary of the arrival of the "Garling" family to Australia. There were some 150 relatives that came including descendants of John and Alice Hurley. If you want I can contact them and tell them of your offer and then put you in contact.
Let me know if that is suitable.
Cheers
Sally