Author Topic: MILES, Reginald Thomas  (Read 9597 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MILES, Reginald Thomas
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 March 15 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Do you need Footscray Cemetery Register details, address (etc) and Memorial Inscription for Thomas and Maria MILES?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 4LauraM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 March 15 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Sue ~ you have Footscray Cemetery register details, address, etc?

And the memorial inscriptions?

That would be wonderful! Thank you so very much!

I briefly saw a photo of Capt. Miles headstone but it was hard to read & I can't remember how/where I found it.
MILES Christchurch, NZ / CLARKE Manchester, UK

Offline 4LauraM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 March 15 22:26 GMT (UK) »
CB53 - I did not know of any children born to Capt. Thomas Miles & Ann Thorns.

Thank you.
MILES Christchurch, NZ / CLARKE Manchester, UK

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 01:11 GMT (UK) »
My maternal grandfather, MILES, Reginald Thomas arrived in Canada in 1899. He was born in Christchurch, New Zealand 4 Sept 1877 and died 23 Dec 1964 Vancouver, BC
Canada.  I don't know how he got here or where he landed.   His father was Capt. Thomas MILES, b. Leith, Scotland 1819 & died 31 May 1879 in Footscray, Melbourne, AUS. ......On 18 August 1858, Capt. Thomas MILES married Maria McDONALD at Bromley, Middlesex, England. They had 10 children.  His 2nd wife, Maria McDONALD, died 17 Jan 1878 in Footscray, Melbourne.

My 1st question is how ..... Reginald Thomas MILES traveled from Australia to Canada.

There’s a Vic BDM death registration for a Thomas MILES, aged 59, who died 1879, in Victoria #5560
There’s an online index giving the death/burial  as 2 June 1879, and burial for Footscray, Victoria, noting additional info via AIGS ref M160. 

Now, as to the puzzle to get your Reginald, an orphan at a very young age, across to Vancouver, Canada….. I have no knowledge of how to help there, but I am sure there’s Aussie RChatters who can help.

Do you know how many of the children were with their parents in Victoria?  If so, do you have their names and ages?   That detail would usually be included on the Victoria BDM death cert for their parents ......    Is it possible that he was raised by an older sibling?

Do Canada's Archives hold passenger lists?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 02:11 GMT (UK) »
This program may answer your question as to how Reginald ended up in Canada. He may have been in care like that of Dr Barnardo's  http://youtu.be/2MxZR08rAmQ

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps your lad was raised by an older brother?

Marriages
MILES-ROWLANDS  On the 19th August at St Pauls Cathedral, by the Rev W B Harvey,  Alfred Henry, eldest son of the late Captain Thomas MILES, of Edinburgh, Scotland, to Emma, third daughter of the late William ROWLANDS of Wellington NZ
Evening Post,  Vol XX, Issue 193,  19 August 1880,  pg 2.
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast

I can see the marriage, and several NZ births to the couple  1881- 1894.  There’s a possible NZ death for Alfred Henry at age 89 years in 1941, and sightings perhaps  for Emma too - aged 98 in 1954 or aged 92 in 1957 
https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/home/

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 02:35 GMT (UK) »
Footscray Cemetery online database
http://fgc.maribyrnong.vic.gov.au/mapguide/Footscray/Public/

From another resource

MILES
In affectionate remembrance of Thomas MILES, died 31st May 1879, aged 59 years.
Also his wife, Maria, died 16 January 1878, aged 40 years, and their children, Frank Goulson, died 24th May 1878 aged 3 years and 7 months.
Amy Barbara died 5th July 1878, aged 6 years and 4 months

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 02:45 GMT (UK) »
http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=23
Arrival from New Zealand in November 1877 on the RINGAROOMA. Port N Fiche 153 Page 001
MILES Mrs 39 years with infant.        
MILES Ada Miss  13 years
MILES Annie  6 years
MILES Florance Miss  11 years
MILES Frank Master  3 years
MILES Jannett Miss 16 years
MILES Percy Master  7 years    

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 03:24 GMT (UK) »
https://sites.google.com/a/aotea.org/don-armitage/Home/great-barrier-island-history/the-barque-stirlingshire-1841-1887/thomas-miles-captain-of-stirlingshire-1856-8

At the above link there’s a great deal of information that needs to be checked, but it seems that Reginald Thomas MILES, born 4 Sept 1877 at Christchurch, NZ died 23 Dec 1965 at Vancouver, BC, Canada, went to Canada from NEW ZEALAND in 1901….  The above link cites the supplier of the info ….. a great grandson of Ada Maria MILES.     There is also another descendant named, and he is the grandson of the last child to the couple …. So he is the grandson of Reginald Thomas MILES, and who supplied the info that Reginald was sent to the College of Wanganuie by his brothers …..  I am fairly sure that would be New Zealand schooling.

Here’s the link to the NZ Board at Rchat.   There’s some fine RChatters there, and from memory the School enrollments may be accessible to some of those NZ Chatters.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/new-zealand/    If you start a new thread there, please let them know you have a thread on the Aussie Board.  If possible provide the link,  (copy paste from menu bar on your puter), but at least let them know you have a current thread.

Cheers,  JM