Author Topic: Adlord BOWDE confusion  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Adlord BOWDE confusion
« on: Tuesday 03 March 15 04:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm a little confused about a gent mentioned in a will dated 1694 and would appreciate any ideas to sort this out please.

Mentioned in the 1694 will is "to my grand daughter Mary, the wife of Adlord Bowde ...£10".

Also mentioned: "my great grandchildren Samuel, Adlord and Mary, children of Adlord Bowde"

Adlord Bowde was a Draper in Hertford UK. He married Mary Smart in Lt Berkhamstead Herts in 1686. All that ties in very nicely with the testator being Mary Smart's mother.

I haven't found a death/burial for Adlord Bowde but have various mentions of someone by this name between 1660 - 1720.

He does appear on about 1000 family trees  :o
Interestingly NONE of this information matches any of those trees. Surely they can't ALL be wrong  ???

Any information about Adlord Bowde of Hertford would be very welcome.

Thanks

Di
PS The will is very clear and easy to read - BIG bonus  ;D

OOPS - edit to add: sorry - forgot to mention that Adlorde is reputed to have spent time in USA about 1688 but that info is confusing & open to interpretation as well  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adlord BOWDE confusion
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Di

Could you clarify who the testator is? Mary Smart's mother or her grandmother? I'm a bit confused.

Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies have two Deeds for land to Adlorde Bowde. One in 1691 and one in 1701.

Search the catalog on their website.
http://www.hertsdirect.org/services/leisculture/heritage1/hals/

Trees that have Adlorde visiting the USA may have got mixed up with Ancestry's default to US places and ended up in Hertford Connecticut.

Venelow
Canada

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 06:18 GMT (UK) »
On the other hand this discussion below on Genforum is about an earlier Adlord Bowde or Boude who was a draper also from Hertford England who did go to America. Apparently he died there in 1688. He may have had some connection to your Adlord Bowde. 

http://genforum.genealogy.com/grimstone/messages/33.html

Ven

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lady Di

What exactly are you confused about :-\ The testator must surely be the Grandmother, is that

the confusion? Or is it the fact that the info you have found is not the same as the online trees?

Apologies if I'm slow on the uptake here :-[

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Oh silly me - my apologies Venelow  :-[

The testator was Mary Smart's GRAND mother.

The HALS records (1691 & 1701) and a marriage of Adlord Bowde to Sarah Babb at Digswell in 1699 tend to contradict most of the info written elsewhere.

It's my understanding that there were 2 gents called Adlord Bowd/e - father & son - both of Hertford UK. I can't find a death in USA apart from an assumption based on the fact that Adlord owned some property there and left it in the hands of someone else.... prior to his return to UK.

I've read the genforum message and agree with the writer that there's so much misinformation about this guy.

All very confusing. If I hadn't read this will I might have believed what was on the web  ;)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lady Di

What exactly are you confused about :-\ The testator must surely be the Grandmother, is that

the confusion? Or is it the fact that the info you have found is not the same as the online trees?

Apologies if I'm slow on the uptake here :-[

Joy

My fault Joy - I haven't worded my initial post as well as I should have. You're correct, testator was Mary Smart's grandmother.

The incorrect on online trees had confused me as I don't believe any of them are correct.

I'd like to find the death or burial for Adlord Bowde (father & son) , &/or burial for his wife Mary
 plus anything to do with their children Samuel, Adlord & Mary would be a lovely bonus  :D.

Thanks for your input

Cheers

Di

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Di

What I understand from the Genforum post I linked to is that the Adlord Boude / Bowde who was a Draper turned Land Agent died in the US in 1688 having been in the US for less than a year. It appears that his son Isaac preceded his in going to the US. The writer discounts that he is the father of Adlord Bowde Tailor of Hertfordshire as his only son was Isaac. There is an abstract of his Administration posted on line under New Jersey Wills which is easily found by Google. Note this is an administration. He died without a Will and there is no mention of another son besides Isaac. It was not settled until 1692 by which time the administration was granted to the wife of the now deceased son Isaac.

There is a snippet that comes up on Google from a site that provides old newspapers. It states that Adlord in Hertford was the Post Master at Hertford and that he died suddenly in 1722. Sudden death gives the impression that he did not have time to make a Will. However maybe an Administration survived.

Venelow

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the extra information Venelow

I hadn't seen the death of Adlord in 1722. As I understand it, the small article says
"Mr. Adlord Bowde, Post Master of Hertford, also Surveyor of Houfes for the said Town and Part of that county, having died suddenly some Days since in his Chair as he was smoaking his Pipe, is succeeded, as Surveyor, by Mr. Thomas Toller".

This is excellent news as I had last found Adlord listed on a Calendar of Treasury Papers (1719):
asking to be "appointed a Surveyor of Windows ...  on Houses in Hertfordshire"

I'm still skeptical about a possible death in 1688 in USA. Obviously it's not the same gent who died in 1722 so they must be talking about his father.

Thanks for your help

Di