Author Topic: Ipstones churchyard  (Read 9910 times)

Offline templeton14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ipstones churchyard
« on: Tuesday 03 March 15 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Is anyone familiar with the churchyard of St Leonards at Ipstones? I have burial records for a number of ancestor's, the last being around 1860 when my branch of the family left the village. I'm wondering if its worth a visit (I'll have to drive over from Warrington), are there many old headstones preserved? I don't mind not finding anything if there are headstones to look at, but I don't want to drive over to find one or two headstones in a field. I understand that the churchyard is closed to new burials now? What condition is it in?
Many thanks in advance,
Sarah

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ipstones churchyard
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah

Lovely part of the country...drove through Ipstones a couple of weeks ago!....

Looking at web pics, certainly looks like gravestones are still standing.....some transcriptions are here  http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Ipstones/StLeonard.html.......

Sarah :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline templeton14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sarah,
Do you know if the image of "the cemetery" on the wishful thinking website is part of the church, or is there a second cemetery site? I think we'll make a day of it as I have burials in Alstonefield too.
Many thanks
Sarah

Offline MJC164EY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 March 15 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
there are gravestones around the church.
opposite is an extension newer graveyard.
Hope you find what you are looking for.
Could check: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Ipstones/MIs.html    first.
Mel C

Offline maggie may

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 October 15 03:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah have you managed to to get to the Ipstones churchyard yet. It is such a lovely place set in the country . I go there every visit I make back to the UK as have grandparents buried there.
Some of the graves have been neglected due to their age and a few of the headstones are starting to fall over as well. Who are looking for in there? It may also pay you to check the Foxt church yard as well . As being a small community area there could also be ancestors in there as well as i found some of my own in there. Also just up the road from the Foxt churchyard you will find the site of the old church which has now been pulled down and where it stood is a plaque set in the stone wall telling you it was the site of the old church. One of my ancestors was a preacher there in the 1800's .Also round the corner from the Ipstones churchyard is a little dairy and along from this dairy is the Ipstones church hall. The people in there are so friendly and they made us a cup of tea and something to eat and they can help you with any info you may wish to find about your ancestors they have computers set up in there to help you.
hope this all helps. by now you probably have been over there but you will know for future reference
cheers maggie
Birch, Beardmore, Smith, Basset, Turner, Grindy, Coxon

Offline maggie may

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 October 15 03:31 BST (UK) »
here is the church for you
I think the church hall is the link of Wishful thinking.
Maggie

Offline templeton14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 October 15 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie,
Thank you so much for your reply. No, I haven't had chance to visit yet. I think it'll be one for next year now. It'll be good to go armed with some information though, so thank. I'm looking for Bowers and Gould families primarily. We also have family who were in Foxt, so it was certainly on my to do list when I do eventually visit. I have no idea if there were any headstones in the first place, let alone if they are still there, but it'll still be interesting to visit the area,
Sarah

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 October 15 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah
I live just a few miles from Ipstones and as you haven't managed to get there yet I am happy to go and have a look around the graves for you.  Ipstones is a lovely little village in a very pretty area.  If you send me any details you have I will have a look and see if I can find anything.

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline maggie may

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 October 15 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,
            Sorry have not been in touch but had  a few days away.
I am not going back to Ipstones till my next visit end of July next year. I was going to say to you some one may read your question and offer some help if live in  the area and low behold chris has so hopefully you will find your ancestors resting places.
I have had a look at Alf Beards site again and he never got round to adding  more names to churchyards. He knew about my grandparents  (Joseph and Hannah Birch ) who are buried in Ipstones and he was going to record them but sadly never did .
Anyway as I said checked  a couple of places and have found a Louisa Gould 1874 in Ipstones this may be one of your Gould's  also looked at  St Giles Cheadle and a few Bower's there, and  St John and St Peters in Alton also have some buried there.  There could be a connection with them as well so when you visit these places may be worth a look at even Chris may be able to do this for you. I have always found people on this site so helpful in the past. Funny thing is found no Gould's but it does not mean they are not there as I said Alf never recorded every grave in churchyards.
Have an item I hope to attach to this which is interesting .
Cheers
Maggie