Author Topic: Ipstones churchyard  (Read 9904 times)

Online ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
Re: Ipstones churchyard
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 31 October 15 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie and Sarah
A quick message just to say I'm really sorry I haven't managed to get to Ipstones. I have been quite poorly this week and on some strong antibiotics that have made me feel miserable  :(
Hopefully I will get there next week!
Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline maggie may

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 31 October 15 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,,
           Health comes first .
Get well soon .
Maggie
Birch, Beardmore, Smith, Basset, Turner, Grindy, Coxon

Offline ourbill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 November 15 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Just a try out of the blue.
You mentioned Leek in the post above. I've been trying to find out about Alton Towers during the the WW2 years. I know it was used as a training camp for the North Staffordshire Regiment as the details appear on my father-in-law's army records for 1940 but from then on nothing. He lived in Leek all his life, except for his holiday in North Africa and Italy that is.
Just one of my many family history unfinished boxes. I don't really want to get tangled up with Kew yet.
Any ideas?
Emerson: Leicestershire, Chipping Norton, Worcester, Birmingham
Hughes: Worcester
Todd: Worcester
Rees: Ammanford. Pembroke, Lancashire Wigan
Harries: Llandilofawr, Ammanford

Offline maggie may

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 02 November 15 04:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Can not help you with Alton Towers but can help you find out about Leek and who you are searching for (who is that anyway as you did not put a name )
 You may pick up a reply from someone on here if you try question under LEEK and the persons name .
that   is option one.
Option 2  and I have used this with with good results
it is the roots web mailing list.  I have it in my bookmarks under archiver.rootweb.ancestry I think you may have to google this . when you find it  go to mailing lists  and click on it then find a mailing list and type in Leek up will come Leek and low . Click on this and subscribe and write your request here and hopefully you will get some replies. I found this site very good when trying to find my family which had lived all their lives in Leek .One thing I must tell you is when you subscribe click on DIGEST MODE  otherwise you will get mail that is of no concern to you.
Hope this helps.  Have not had a look but you may be able to get to this thru this site here I have not had a look . Hope this helps.
Maggie

Online ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 02 November 15 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ourbill
There is a  good website about Alton Towers - altontowersmemories.net
On it there is a whole section about Alton Towers during the war years. With some picture too.
As Maggie said, you haven't mentioned any names, although if your father in law is still alive, the rules of Rootschat don't allow you to name anyone that is living. 
Chris

Offline templeton14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 November 15 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I hope you're feeling better Chris! Maggie is right, health first! Not the best weather to be wandering around churchyards either.
Thanks for the info regarding the Bloor society. I had a look at their website and they meet a few miles away from my parent's house (I grew up in Stoke-on-Trent). I'll certainly be dropping into one of their sessions, I know very little about that line - it might just be that magical breakthrough that I need  ;D
On a separate note Chris, I see that you have Lawton's in your line. I also have a Lawton line in Stoke-on-Trent (from the Keele and Audley areas). Maybe we share a link?
Sarah

Online ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 14 November 15 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah
At long last I have managed to visit Ipstones Churchyard.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find a grave for George GOULD, d. 1869 or Keziah GOULD, d. 1861.  Some of the graves were in very poor condition and difficult to read, but I don't think their graves were there.
I did find a Keziah GOULD, of Stones Farm, Ipstones who had died on 21 July (it looked like 1888), buried with her brother James GOULD. Also a Ella GOULD, wife of David GOULD, both in the same grave. - These were in the newer part, across the lane from the church.
There were also some BLOOR graves, John, Phoebe and James.
I took down the details so I will transcribe them in the next couple of days and send you a PM
Best wishes
Chris

Offline templeton14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 16 November 15 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,
Wow, thank you so much for that information.The Keziah Gould and David Gould graves are of my GG grandmother's brother and sister ( they were Keziah and George's children)
Very interesting regarding the Bloor's, and I'm sure it'll fit in somewhere, but its a matter of figuring it out now. I know my Elizabeth Bloor (who became a Gould) named John as her father on her marriage certificate, and it the marriage was witnessed by a Phoebe!
I am over the moon that you've found these graves, thank you so much! I wish I could return the favour!
Sarah

Offline maggie may

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 02:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris  and Sarah
Well celebrations are now the order of the day.  :D
That is wonderful news that Chris found the graves for you Sarah .
I am so thrilled for you as know how it feels when someone goes that little extra mile to help someone.
Hope you can get over to Ipstones yourself one day to see the graves for yourself.
A lovely christmas present for you.
Know it is early but I wish both of you a very merry christmas .

Cheers
Maggie :)