Author Topic: Ipstones churchyard  (Read 9914 times)

Offline maggie may

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ipstones churchyard
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 October 15 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah , could not get the attachment to work so suggest you Google Joseph Gould from Grindon Staffordshire 1874- 1941.
There is a tree here also photos worth checking out.
This would be something if your lot, wouldn't it. !!!!
Cheers
Maggie
Birch, Beardmore, Smith, Basset, Turner, Grindy, Coxon

Offline templeton14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 October 15 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah
I live just a few miles from Ipstones and as you haven't managed to get there yet I am happy to go and have a look around the graves for you.  Ipstones is a lovely little village in a very pretty area.  If you send me any details you have I will have a look and see if I can find anything.

Chris

Hi Chris,
That is such a kind offer, thank you so much! I'm primarily looking for a George Gould who was buried there in Nov 1869 and his wife Keziah Gould, buried May 1861, but I'm interested in any Gould, Bowers or Blore/Bloor graves. I will get over there eventually, but I have 2 young children so it's difficult at the moment. Thank you again for your offer, it is very much appreciated,
Sarah

Offline templeton14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 October 15 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah , could not get the attachment to work so suggest you Google Joseph Gould from Grindon Staffordshire 1874- 1941.
There is a tree here also photos worth checking out.
This would be something if your lot, wouldn't it. !!!!
Cheers
Maggie

Hi Maggie,
I won't get my hopes up, but it would be amazing 😀.
I'll have a look, thanks for the information!
Sarah

Offline templeton14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 October 15 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,
            Sorry have not been in touch but had  a few days away.
I am not going back to Ipstones till my next visit end of July next year. I was going to say to you some one may read your question and offer some help if live in  the area and low behold chris has so hopefully you will find your ancestors resting places.
I have had a look at Alf Beards site again and he never got round to adding  more names to churchyards. He knew about my grandparents  (Joseph and Hannah Birch ) who are buried in Ipstones and he was going to record them but sadly never did .
Anyway as I said checked  a couple of places and have found a Louisa Gould 1874 in Ipstones this may be one of your Gould's  also looked at  St Giles Cheadle and a few Bower's there, and  St John and St Peters in Alton also have some buried there.  There could be a connection with them as well so when you visit these places may be worth a look at even Chris may be able to do this for you. I have always found people on this site so helpful in the past. Funny thing is found no Gould's but it does not mean they are not there as I said Alf never recorded every grave in churchyards.
Have an item I hope to attach to this which is interesting .
Cheers
Maggie

Hi Maggie,
I've certainly found Alf's site very useful in recent years, though I too have found graves that were missing from the site. It's fabulous that he took the time to do what he did though, and I would certainly be happy to look around churchyards local to myself for people who couldn't get to the area, you can get so much information from a headstone (my husband thinks I'm weird for the amount of time I've spent wandering around churchyards at weekends lol). The Louisa Gould find is interesting and one I'll have a look into. I'm itching to get over there and have a look around for myself!

Offline maggie may

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 October 15 01:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah .Just checking again as I see you are looking for Bloor ?Blore names.
I have a John Birch who married Elizabeth  Bloor in 1822 in Kingsley . She was born in Rugley .
Elizabeth Bloor and John and their children are all buried in Kingsley.
 Does this family ring a bell with you.?
Last time I mentioned the Goulds to you at Alton there is a lot there in the St Peters Churchyard and a George Gould 1844 I wrote this down and not sure whether he was born that year or died then along with him at this place is James Gould 1873, Germain 185?  5 years old, Samuel 1843,  2years old, William 1845, 7 years and John (Father) 1858,  42 years . Quite sad really to see children so young buried.

Had a bit of a grin about your hubby and looking at churchyards.
Mine used to do the same now he loves going and looking at historical  things in them .  Down  here he goes and looks up all the old All blacks  that have past away graves.  When he gets older he may show interest in ancestry things perhaps . Depends on how keen he is in following things up. I only wish i had asked my Father more about his side of the family when he was alive but as he was a lot older than my mother and born in 1895 I was very young when he passed away, plus had young children myself and was not really interested at all .
It took me 20 years to finally  get the tree together  hence his  Great Grandparents buried at Iptsones .
I also think there may of been some Bloors buried in the little Foxt churchyard which  I saw there on a visit . Anyway I am sure you will find who you are looking for. Maybe I will see you at the Ipstones churchyard when I visit again  next year. 1st August

cheers
Maggie :)

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 October 15 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah and Maggie
It's been very interesting following your thread. As I said we live very close to Ipstones and I will get over next week.  We are looking after our little grandson this weekend as my daughter and her husband are going to a wedding.  It's the first time we've had him on our own!  I had to laugh when you were talking about looking around churchyards, my husband gets dragged along too but he's always the one who finds the graves. I'm going to take him along to Ipstones so hopefully he'll bring us a bit of luck finding the headstones. Did you know there is a BLOOR society. I think it's open to anyone who has Bloor names in their family. If you google Bloor society, you will find it. I think it's bloor.org
Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline maggie may

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 October 15 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,
           You never know what you can find or learn on here do you!!!! :o
I will look up this Bloor site you have mentioned to both Sarah and myself since I too have a connection to the Bloor name.
It's late here now so popping off to bed so tomorrow I will check it out with interest.
It is so good of you to be able to checkout the Ipstones Churchyard for Sarah she will appreciate this I think . I can remember years ago someone kindly answered my quest about the old silk mills in Leek as had my Joseph Birch buried in Ipstones working there as a young boy and was interested in knowing about the trade.This person found the grave at Ipstones and kindly sent me a photo of it. I was so thrilled to get it and living half way round the world was keen to visit myself to see it . I have made three trips back and fit a visit in each time we come  over .  It is so nice to know there are so many on this site willing to help in some way or another.
Out of context  do you know the peak weavers in King street as thinking of staying there next year on our way down from Scotland . I am wanting to know whether it is close to the St Edwards church as would like to have a look round this place since Joseph and ann were married there. that is one place have not stopped off at yet. Here we go talking about churchyards again !!!!
Well off to bed as going to be a long day tomorrow like you have grandchildren calling in to visit  . for the day . Make the most of it as they grow up too fast.

cheers
Maggie

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 October 15 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie
We live in Leek and The Peak Weavers in King Street is just around the corner from our house!  The area where we live is actually called The Silk Quarter, because of all the silk mills there in bygone days.  The mills have now been converted into nice apartments so it is better than them being demolished.  The Peak Weavers - a rather nice hotel and restaurant used to be The Loreto Convent until about 40 years ago.  It's only about 10 minutes walk from St Edward's church which backs onto the Park and is well worth seeing.   I'd love to show you around Leek when you pay a visit! 
Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline maggie may

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 23 October 15 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris yes thought it may be close . I would like to met up when there maybe you can contact me at (*)
Better not venture too far off this blog with Leek as supposed to be talking about  Ipstones .
I will check out the Bloor site as well sometime today as well. Rushing to get a christmas cake made before the family turn up.
Hope you can help Sarah with her quest or point her in the right direction .
Maggie.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.