Author Topic: MILES, Reginald Thomas  (Read 18581 times)

Offline 4LauraM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MILES, Reginald Thomas
« on: Wednesday 04 March 15 02:38 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather MILES, Reginald Thomas b. 04 Sept 1877 was an orphan by the age of 2yrs.

His father was Capt. Thomas MILES, b. Leith, Scotland 1819 & died 31 May 1879 in Footscray, Melbourne, AUS.

On 18 August 1858, Capt. Thomas MILES married Maria McDONALD at Bromley, Middlesex, England.
They had 10 children.
His 2nd wife, Maria McDONALD, died 17 Jan 1878 in Footscray, Melbourne.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714496.0

My questions are:-
His 1st wife Ann THORNS, died of fever in Rio de Janeiro on the voyage of his ship, the Stirlingshire,
25 Feb 1857.

On 19 Feb 1849,Capt. Thomas MILES and Ann THORNS were married at Limehouse, Middlesex, England. 
I don't know of any children from this marriage.

Thank you.
MILES Christchurch, NZ / CLARKE Manchester, UK

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: MILES, Reginald Thomas
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 03:06 GMT (UK) »
So we know that Reginald Thomas MILES was born in NZ, 4 Sept 1877, and then as an infant, with his Mum and siblings to Victoria where his parents died, and then he was back in NZ for his schooling, before he migrated to Canada at the turn of the 20th Century. 

I had suggested on the Aussie thread linked by our  OP that there's fine RChatters on the NZ board that likely can help with school admissions.  It seems Wanganui College for Boys could be the school. 

:)

Many thanks,

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 04:53 GMT (UK) »

My questions are:-
His 1st wife Ann THORNS, died of fever in Rio de Janeiro on the voyage of his ship, the Stirlingshire,
25 Feb 1857.

On 19 Feb 1849,Capt. Thomas MILES and Ann THORNS were married at Limehouse, Middlesex, England. 
I don't know of any children from this marriage.

Hi 4LauraM

It seems that the above (highlighted) question has already been answered on your thread on the Australian Board.    :)     
[Click the link above to return to that thread. ]

~  Lu

Offline 4LauraM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Lucy2 - I have read & re-read that thread multiple times and can find no answer to my question
of any children from the first marriage of Ann THORNS to Capt. Thomas MILES in February 1849.
MILES Christchurch, NZ / CLARKE Manchester, UK

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Laura

I think if you look at #4 and #6 on the Australian thread you will see 2 children suspected of being Thomas and Ann's children,you thought they had died young but it was explained they were baptisms and census,

Cheers Janette

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Lucy2 - I have read & re-read that thread multiple times and can find no answer to my question
of any children from the first marriage of Ann THORNS to Capt. Thomas MILES in February 1849.

Hi 4LauraM

Just to explain  ... the two questions you have asked on this New Zealand thread, have both been addressed on your Australian thread, with helpful answers and various links being provided ... and my re-directing you to that thread, was simply to save repetition of that information here.   :)

It seems that the suggestion to post here on the New Zealand board, was in the main, for the purpose of finding if there were records for Wanganui College (or School) in New Zealand, relating to Reginald Thomas MILES (See  explanation in  Reply # 1).    And possibly to see if there was also further (NZ) information available for other children of the late Captain Thomas MILES.

~  Lu

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Yes, may I please confirm that was why I suggested posting on the NZ board. 

.......It seems that the suggestion to post here on the New Zealand board, was in the main, for the purpose of finding if there were records for Wanganui College (or School) in New Zealand, relating to Reginald Thomas MILES (See  explanation in  Reply # 1).    And possibly to see if there was also further (NZ) information available for other children of the late Captain Thomas MILES.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 23:16 GMT (UK) »

Hi 4LauraM

If you return to your Australian thread ^^, ... and to reply # 14 ... you'll see a link to a New Zealand newspaper which carries a notice of the 1880 marriage of Alfred Henry MILES, son of the late Captain Thomas MILES of Edinburgh, (to Emma ROWLANDS).

At the PapersPast New Zealand website, there is further information for Alfred Henry MILES in the form of his Obituary.   In particular, it states that he was born at Surrey, England, on 14 May 1852.   
[Note:   That birthdate is the same as is given on the baptism record at St. Anne's, Limehouse, Tower Hamlets, London,  for Alfred Henry MILES - baptised 8 August 1852 (born: 14 May 1852), the child of Thomas MILES, mariner, and his wife Ann, residing at #2 Three Colt Street.  ]

You can find the Obituary at the following link  >

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz

"Evening Post" (Wellington, NZ) - 5 September 1941 - Mr A.H. MILES

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi 4LauraM

Again ... going back to your Australian thread ... please go to Reply # 18 and the link provided by cando. (This takes you to the "Don Armitage" page).

Scroll to the (underscored) paragraph which begins "The Family History of Thomas MILES ..."

Underneath the list of children born, the next sentence refers to Ken McCOLL having supplied this information ... and follows with "Another descendant is Patrick SWEEZY, the grandson of their last child (born at Christchurch).

This seems to also make Mr SWEEZY (or SWEEZEY) the grandson of Reginald Thomas MILES ?
I'm just a bit puzzled ???      Is this man known to you ?

~  Lu