Author Topic: Is this building in Cornwall?  (Read 8123 times)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is this building in Cornwall?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 23:09 GMT (UK) »
I did wonder about that.  A permanent line of semaphore stations was built between London & Portsmouth.  In which case, the building can't be in Cornwall.   :-\

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 23:13 GMT (UK) »
There was also a line between Liverpool and Holyhead!

Could the portrait be of Rear-Admiral Sir Home Riggs Popham?
There's a younger man in the portrait here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Riggs_Popham
But I think I can see similarilies?!

The building in the picture sure looks to have 2 semaphore arms?
In any case, the system was only in use between 1820 and 1847.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline allystree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 March 15 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your input. I am sure I saw the building in the background of the Tv program  standing quite alone near the cliff edge. Turns out I did not record the program but while watching it I did write down the part of the walk where the structure was- on the South West Coast path between Fowey and Polperro. The link Little Nell provided is the program I saw, about Cornish Smugglers. Tony Robinson paused while on the path to tell a little story and then as he walked on the structure was in the background looking very similar to that in the portrait. I don't think the portrait is of Popham. This Watson family were cousins of Sir William Henry Watson who was brotherinlaw of Lord Armstrong of Cragside. Watson family portraits belonging to this branch, and previously in the possession of Joseph Yelloly Watson (1817-1888) are now at Cragside.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 March 15 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Nice thought but I don't think so.  St Catherine's is on the Fowey side of the estuary opposite Polruan and is actually set quite far down the cliff like a typical Henry VIII castle.  Here are a couple of views of it  - one from down on the water and then from Polruan.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4012093
and
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/st-catherines-castle/history-and-research/

I remember watching the programme, but I have to admit nothing springs to mind.  I've tried looking at the coastal path map and Google Earth but not spotted anything yet.   :(

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk