Author Topic: Help!! Bridget Hurley of Co. Clare, 1830s/40s - where do I start?  (Read 12315 times)

Offline maryanne stillsearching

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help!! Bridget Hurley of Co. Clare, 1830s/40s - where do I start?
« on: Thursday 05 March 15 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, and help, where do I start looking for information from Ireland??
I'm trying to trace the family of my gg-grandmother by adoption, Bridget Hurley, born County Clare (according to death records).  She married John Josiah Bone in 1865 and when no children resulted from the marriage, they adopted a boy "named and known as" John James Bone.  Bridget died in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia in 1898 and, with the exception of a few personal effects, left her possessions to her adopted son (husband having preceded her by 5 years).  From the newspaper obituary and Bridget's will, I have the following family information:
. executor of the will was her nephew William Armstrong Jnr, officer of the post, of Peel St, Ballarat
. age at death given as 57, so born (supposedly) around 1841
. licensed victualler by trade - she operated the Commercial at the time of her death.
. resident of Ballarat of "upward of thirty years".
. parents' names on her death record are James Hurley and Ann Kearny.
. personal mementos (jewelery) left to the following -
"my sister Mrs Annie Luney of Elaine", "my sister Mrs Catherine Parkinson of Dunnstown", "my sister Mrs Mary Armstrong of Ballarat" and "my friend Nellie Luney who has been assisting me in my business".  These have been likely identified as -
.. Ann Hurley married Patrick Looney 1688  Children include a daughter Ellen, known as Nellie.   Residence in 1904 of family - Elaine, Ballarat.   Ann Looney died in 1916; details provided give an age 82 (born @ 1834), parents James Hurley and Mary Cavey.
..Catherine Hurley married William Parkinson in 1856.  Catherine Parkinson's records show she died in 1912 at Mt Egerton (Ballarat area) age 85 years (born @ 1827), parents James Hurley and Anne Keary.
..Mary Hurley married George Armstrong in 1860.  Their eldest son was William Richard Armstrong.  In 1904 he was a postal officer, residing in Peel St, Ballarat  To date, I haven't been able to find a record of Mary/Maria nee Hurley's death.
So -
This all looks pretty solid to me, except - Catherine and Bridget's mother is Ann Kearney, Ann is Mary Cavey.  OK, maybe a second marriage on James Hurley's part?  Or an error in the data provided?  A search for other people who may be siblings gives me records for the following..
.Lawrence Hurley died 1921 Sydney b @ 1840 parent James Hurley and Ann Keary or Kery.

.Denis Hurley, died 1898 Colac age 71 (b@1827) parents James Hurley and Ann Cavey
.James Hurley 1830 (C. Clare) - 1909 (Victoria) parents JAmes Hurley and Ann Cavey
.Micheal Hurley 1835(?)-1870(Victoria) parents Martin Hurley and Mary Cavey
.Mary Gerte Hurley 1874(I know, far too late),  - 1926 (East Melb) parents Anthony Hurley and Mary Keavy
.Mary Hurley born 1874 Bungaree, parents Anthony Hurley and Mary Keavy
      Yes, the 1874 records are two different records.  Different numbers and all.  I suspect an error somewhere.

I have the following place names as potentially associated with all these Hurleys -Kildimo (but according to Wiki, it's in Limerick!) , Kilfarboy and Emlagh (which seems to be everywhere!!!!!).

I don't know what of the above informations helps (that would be nice), hinders (I suspect likely) or totally confuses (that's me) but I am so hoping.....
..can anyone shed any light on this Gordian knot of a Hurley-Cavey/Keavy/Keary/Kearny complex?  Or can anyone give me some ideas on where to start?

Muchly, muchly appreciated are any and all suggestions
  Maz  (who now knows why she's been putting off tracking the Irish bits of the family.  Argh...)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help!! Bridget Hurley of Co. Clare, 1830s/40s - where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 March 15 06:31 GMT (UK) »

Do you have the marriage certificate Vic. 1865. It will have information given by Bridget and John BONE about their origins.....age, birthplace, parents' names.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 March 15 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi... the marriage certificate gives John Josiah Bone, from Devon, and he was relatively easy to follow up - born Tavistock, Devon, to Thomas Bone and Rebecca Wingate.  Bridget's details are - born C. Clare, Ireland, parents James Hurley and Ann Kearney, father's profession labourer - which means anything.  If her father never came to Australia, it's not even necessarily accurate.   On other records I've accessed online, Kearney has appeared as Kearny, Keary and Keavy as well.  I don't have all the extended family records  on paper :)  However, the marriage records gives no further information than the two names and Co. Clare, Ireland.  (Pity.  None of my collection  of marriage records give anything much more than a county if it's out of Australia.)  Sigh.  maz.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 March 15 07:06 GMT (UK) »

Where were they married...what age does Bridget give....who are the witnesses please.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 March 15 08:46 GMT (UK) »
The dates you are looking for are well before the start of civil registration, census and most church records in Ireland so I would be inclined to continue checking Australian records, newspaper articles, etc. to see if Bridget's parents might also have come to Ireland.

Also, have you tried finding living descendants from the other siblings/possible siblings in case they have more details on the Hurley family?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 March 15 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Keep an eye on this site particularly the Donated Material, they regularly get new records.
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/genealog.htm

Offline healyjfch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 March 15 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried to find Bridget and her siblings on passenger list/ s
The sisters may have traveled at different dates.
It may give more info on the family.

Could the adopted son be related to Bridget or her husband such as son of unmarried sister.
I'm happy to hear adopted son was treated fairly in her will.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 March 15 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi people,
Thanks for the information.  Sorry about the delay responding (have had unexpected time demands).  I'm definitely looking into these pathways.  I thought there would be a problem with civil records and was wondering what other pathways were there.  Will definitely follow these up.

I did look at the adopted son being an illegitimate or orphaned family member, with no luck.  However, Ballarat was the site of a large orphanage in the 1800s.  With no records form the 1800s surviving, of course.  :)  Sigh.

Thanks again     maz (wishing there were more hours in the day)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 March 15 09:29 GMT (UK) »

I have the following place names as potentially associated with all these Hurleys -Kildimo (but according to Wiki, it's in Limerick!) , Kilfarboy and Emlagh (which seems to be everywhere!!!!!).

Regarding the "Kildimo" reference. There is a civil parish called Kilfearagh in southwest County Clare which has a townland called Kildeema.  Also a townland called Emlagh.  However, I can't see any Hurley occupiers there in Griffith's Valuation.

Follow the coastline 20 miles northeast and you come to the civil parish of Kilfarboy, which amongst others contains the townlands of Kilfarboy, Kildeema North and Kildeema South.   Griffith's Valuation shows no Hurley occupiers in the townland of Kilfarboy, but there are Hurleys in both Kildeema North and South.  Hurley is a common name though. But maybe worth noting regarding the "Kildimo" reference.

Edited to add:

You can have a look here: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp

I couldn't see anything, but the townland in "Kilferagh" is written as "Kildimo".