Author Topic: Denis Magner: Macroom  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Denis Magner: Macroom
« on: Friday 06 March 15 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am looking for anything on Dennis Magner. He is listed as a baker on the ship manifest to Boston, 1854 and wife Honora is with him. He is my 4th great grandfather.
Also on the passenger list is his son, John D. Magner, who  was a baker all his life in Boston. I have located a record which I believe is that of John's and Bridget McDonald's marriage in Macroom, dated March, 1854.
Thank you!
Steve
Baker: Dorset, England > Newfoundland > Massachusetts
Peddle: England > Newfoundland
White: Dorset, England > Newfoundland
Magner: Co. Cork, Ireland > Boston
Otto: Eisfeld, Thuringia, Germany > Boston
McDonald: Co. Carlow, Ireland > Fall River, Massachusetts
Thayer: Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England > Braintree, Massachusetts
Marks: Portugal > Massachusetts
Gilmore: Co. Westmeath, Ireland > Massachusetts
Farnum, Phillips: England > Barbados

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Denis Magner: Macroom
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 March 15 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Does it give his age on the ship's manifest?

There are a couple of possibilities on the Irish genealogy site in Cork in 1821 and 1825 - www.irishgenealogy.ie
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 March 15 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Does it give his age on the ship's manifest?

There are a couple of possibilities on the Irish genealogy site in Cork in 1821 and 1825 - www.irishgenealogy.ie

Hello and thank you.
His age is given as 50 years on the passenger list I have attached a portion to illustrate.
Thanks!

Offline patty hession

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 September 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
I want to thank you for the information you have found on Dennis Magner. My search is on his daughter Alicia.
It has been a long search, The family history knows her as Anne Magner. She left Macroom when she was about 17-18 years old and came to California and married Richard P. Hession.
Any information you can share it would be wonderful
Patty

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 September 18 23:03 BST (UK) »
Great to hear fro you, Patty. I have Alice born to Denis & Honora Crowley 1927, Macroom. Is this consistent with your research? I wonder who she went to California with. Do you know who Denis & Honorah's parents were? It seems they shuffled around Cork quite a bit! I know where Denis and Honora were buried (St Mary's in Dorchester, Mass). Alas, I have walked around that graveyard for hours on 2 occasions to no avail. I did find Alice's brother, John D. Magner, and wife, Bridget, however.
I have the death of Honora (our common gr-grandmother). I have not been able to land Denis' death. I think I found his Petition for Naturalization. I can share copies if you don't already have.
Best,
Steve

Offline patty hession

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 September 18 17:25 BST (UK) »
Dear Steve
Thank you for responding , This has been a long search. Anne/Alicia Magner ( Hession ) has been a family mystery for many years. As far as we know she came by herself to California. I looked up in the Boston Globe newspaper to try to find a death for Dennis , couldn't find one.
So is John your great grandfather? Do you know if the other children came to the states or stayed in Ireland. We will be going to Ireland in April, really trying to get as much information before we go.
Hope to hear from you soon
Patty

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 September 18 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Patty,
I really enjoy the research and discovery a lot. But I like helping others more! That said, I really try to be diligent and have to be absolutely sure of sources before I add them to my tree.

John D. Magner was my 3rd great-grandfather. He was the great-grandfather of my paternal grandmother, Eileen Magner.  He was a baker in Macroom, as well as in Boston, as was his father, Denis (spelling is that of Ireland Parish Records, not Americanized, "Dennis"). Working conditions for bakers in Ireland were terrible in the 1840s. I found a story in an issue of "The Cork Examiner" from that tie which actually names Denis, John, and Denis Jr, Macroom bakers, who were among a large contingency of other bakers who were petitioning Parliament for better working conditions. Up to that time they were required to work 18 hours a day, 16 on Sunday! The stifling heat inside the bakeries, along with the ridiculous hours, led to many men dying at a very early age.

Do you have a record which shows Ann as daughter to Denis & Honora? Interestingly, I did a quick search on your Hessions and they had a son, "Dennie" in a couple of the censuses. I could not find a marriage or death record on her. Have you?

I had a DNA match with the surname Magner who still lives in Cork contact me not long ago. I think she is a descendant of Denis Jr, who (I believe) stayed behind and wed Ellen Higgins in Cork City. Anyway, if you could share any docs, I would be very grateful, as I would be happy to email ones I have to you. You can send your email via PM through this site if you'd like.
Thanks, Patty!

Add: There were also Crowleys who were with the Magners in Boston.
Add: Here's a link to another thread I started. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=754344.msg6035484#msg6035484

Offline patty hession

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 September 18 14:47 BST (UK) »
Dear Steve;
I love research also. It is amazing what you can find, and who you can meet.

When Alicia came to California she changed her first name to Anne ( why or what happened who knows ) We know she came from Macroom . she was born in 1826-1827. No birthdate Alicia baptism date fits the timeline. She married Richard P. Hession in Sonora Ca. ( California gold rush ) 1856. at St. Patricks Church. Their first son was Dennis J. Hession 1857. This is Terry's great Grandfather.

Looking at the DNA matches for Terry in the forth and back the names that came up were Honora , Thomas and a Mary. So I believe that Anne is Alicia.

Please I would love to have the article about Dennis and John.
 and anything else you may have.

Patty