Author Topic: look-up/help please  (Read 2933 times)

Offline kitto

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
look-up/help please
« on: Saturday 07 March 15 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have hit yet another wall. Am trying to find info on the parents of an...    
Angus Mackay
B: 22 MAY 1763 in Achavandra, Skelbo, Dornoch,Sutherland, Scotland
D: 13 Nov 1837 in Dornoch, Sutherland, Scotland
I believe that he was married to a Helen MacKenzie 28th Feb 1794.

Any help to find the names of his parents would be much appreciated!!  :)
Kitto, Skeats, Sellen, Sutherland, Anderton, Hooton/Hooten, McLure, Trevor, Hawkins, MacKay, Murray.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: look-up/help please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 March 15 15:48 GMT (UK) »
www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk have a record for an Angus Mackay born in 1763. It may be worth taking a closer look to see if he fits with your geographical expectations, then buying the image to get more information about his parents.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline kitto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 March 15 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I have tried scotlandspeople.
Kitto, Skeats, Sellen, Sutherland, Anderton, Hooton/Hooten, McLure, Trevor, Hawkins, MacKay, Murray.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 March 15 21:58 GMT (UK) »
As far as I know the Dornoch parish records go back to well before 1740, but there is no Angus MacKay listed between 1757 and 1793, which suggests a major gap in the records from about 1760-90.

Do you have a solid source for the dates of birth aand death you provide?

Offline kitto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 March 15 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The DOB is from the 'findagrave' website. It lists the children, and the names match.
I have now found a birth record which shows an Angus MacKay born to a James MacKay from Golspy, on 22nd May 1763. No sign of who the mother was though.

On Angus' death record from 1837 it says "Angus MacKay (Baillie)" and on his daughter's death record in 1838, it says "Janet MacKay (Bailie)".

Could 'Baillie' be a Mother's Maiden name? Or does it have a meaning that I am unaware of?? Any help appreciated...Does anyone know what it means??  :)

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 March 15 17:59 GMT (UK) »
The Dornoch Cemetery records are available online. The people you are looking for are in Grave DO-C1.

The names listed on the stone are:
Henrietta Fraser d. 1920 aged 84
Angus MacKay d. 1837 aged 73 (as expected)
Angus MacKay d. 1896 aged 85
Christina MacKay d. 1877 aged 79
Helen MacKenzie d. 1848 aged 84 (again this fits with your info, although I don't see a birth record in Sutherland that fits)

In the 18th century it was not usual for the mother's name to be listed in parish records, which is somewhat unhelpful

There are ten births with the surname "Baillie" in Golspie between 1730 and 1780, but none of them is an Angus