Author Topic: Henrietta Hayter Oxfordshire County Asylum 1881, 1891  (Read 3394 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Henrietta Hayter Oxfordshire County Asylum 1881, 1891
« on: Monday 09 March 15 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Henrietta Hayter was born 1822 in St Marylebone, Middlesex. I have her on the 1861 census with son Edwin aged 8 born New Zealand [that's another story on another thread!!]. She is aged 49 on the 1871 census RG10/1426/7/6 as a visitor with the Payne family in North Field End, Henley. A Henrietta Hayter is shown on the County Lunatic Asylum records on ancestry as being admitted on to Oxford County Asylum 27 May 1877 & died 27 Aug 1894.  Does this death date mean she was in the asylum continuously from 1877 - 1894? Can anyone please help find her at the asylum in 1881 & 1891?

I ask because there is also a Henrietta Hayter in a report in the London Standard newspaper of 25 April 1892 as withdrawing from the Executive of the Women's Liberal Federation because the constitution was to be changed.Could they be the same woman?

I see the Asylum admission registers are at the Oxfordshire History Centre & the records of the WLF are held at the University of Bristol Special Collections
http://archiveshub.ac.uk/data/gb3-dm1193. I may try to go to see them but to find the census records will help.

Thank you, Josey 

ADDED: Isn't it sometimes the way - you look for ages, ask for help & then manage to find it yourself  :-[
1881 RG11/1500/101/3 as HH an inmate
1891 RG12/1166/123/10 ditto

Would like to know who the Henrietta of the WLF is though.....

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henrietta Hayter Oxfordshire County Asylum 1881, 1891
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 March 15 12:02 GMT (UK) »
1891 has someone recorded only as H.H., age 72, bn London, in Littlemore County Lunatic Asylum, Oxfordshire.

RG 12 116 123 10

Often institutions only record the inmates by initial.

You are probably best pursuing trying to look at asylum records to see if she was discharged at any point or in there continuously until her death.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 March 15 12:07 GMT (UK) »
OK thanks, lizdb. Another archive trip to go on the list - to Oxfordshire this time  ;). I have relatives in Newbury so might double up on the next trip south.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 March 15 10:46 GMT (UK) »
OFHS have included some records for Littlemore Hospital on one of their PR discs (CD HED01).  However, the transcripts of  'discharges, removals and deaths' (usually very informative) stop at 1893 because they were prepared in 1994 - the dreaded 100-year rule!  So yes, you'd have to visit the Centre at St Luke's, Cowley to see Henrietta's history.

However, the hospital's burial ground register for 1882-1954 is transcribed on the same disc, and there's this entry for 31 Aug 1894:

No. 348  HAYTER Henrietta     (last abode) Windsor    (age at death) 77.

A little older than your Henrietta, and no family to arrange her burial?

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 March 15 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Interesting, thank you. She was definitely baptised St Marylebone in 1822, Henrietta Sarah daughter of Richard & Sarah. The burial you found is obviously the Henrietta Hayter who died in Littlemore Hospital in Aug 1894. As you say, 'my' Henrietta would have been 72.

I have these census records:
RG09/759/54/14
Tobacconists Shop, Old Windsor
Henrietta aged 35 born Marylebone tobacconist
Edwin aged 8 born New Zealand
age rounded down...

I have assumed this is her because of London, Middlesex birthplace:
RG10/1426/7/6
North Field End , Henley
THomas Payne 30 tailor born Newbury
Elizabeth P 42
Maud M P 5 mo
Charles P 2
Henrietta [name correct on findmypast, Harrietta on ancestry] Hayter 49 visitor born Middlesex London no occupation
age is correct.

I have not found Edwin in 1871. He married for the first time in St Pancras in 1874 full age publican 37 Judd St. He went  back to New Zealand in 1893, so wouldn't have been around for this 1894 death. The Hayter family had originated from Windlesham & Sunninghill.

I wonder if Henrietta's age was not quite known when she was admitted to Littlemore? She would have been 55. OR possibly - not the same Henrietta. Worth some more research to see if there is another Henrietta Hayter born Marylebone in the same period & if I can find them both on the census in 1871.

Thanks again for looking. Josey

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 March 15 15:32 GMT (UK) »
My pleasure Josey :)

My gt-grandfather also died in Littlemore Hospital, in 1903, but he isn't on the CD because someone had him buried at his parish church in Oxford (probably not his widow - she was expecting her 13th child at the time, and he was unfit for work).  I got his records in 2010 from the old Oxfordshire Health Archives (now at St Luke's) for a nominal copying charge.

Say hello to Cowley for me, we're old friends :)

Carol

OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 March 15 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

In regard to your search for graves at Littlemore Hospital I thought you may find the attached of interest, I found one of my Robinsons was buried here and have been a support of this work not going ahead as I believe he is within this part of the ground - may be - but have a read?

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/11821662.Residents____appeal_pays_off_as_unmarked_graves_are_saved/

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 March 15 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Interesting,  thank you Nigel.

I will write to the Parish Council & thank them for standing up to a developer on a sensitive matter & add my support to any campaign that is needed in the future to preserve the burial ground.

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 January 20 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josey,

Slightly off the original topic but do you happen to know if the asylum records are still on Ancestry, I can't seem to find them on the card catalogue?

Pinetree

P.S. Must be the magic of this thread - just found them myself  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk