Author Topic: 2nd Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment - Movements in March 1918, Help Needed?  (Read 3398 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment - Movements in March 1918, Help Needed?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan & Jim,

Please accept my apologies for my very tardy reply! This has been due to the fact that I have been offline due to not having an internet connection for the past 3 months! Thankfully all now sorted.

Alan, I am not aware of a connection to Castle Bromwich at this time, although it is as Jim says close by to Long Acre (5 Miles). Its a bit of a strange one to be honest (to me anyway!).

With regards to Andrew's date of death & place of death my further research shows:

On 18th March 1918 (his recorded date of death) his Battalion is in St-Martin-Au-Laert (Near St Omer) in North West France.

Pargny where he is buried is just North West of Bettencourt-Sur-Somme (A bit East of Amiens) in South East France. The Battalion were in the Amiens/Bethencourt (I'm assuming that Bethencourt & Bettencourt are one and the same!) between 23rd March 1918 & 31st March 1918.

Therefore it must be concluded that his date of death must be sometime between 23rd March 1918 & 31st March 1918, rather than the 18th March 1918 as recorded.

I would welcome/appreciate thoughts/input as to what my further research shows from all. Do you agree/disagree with my findings etc?

Jim, many thanks for your assistance/input, very much appreciated.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment - Movements in March 1918, Help Needed?
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 11:09 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't disagree with that. His date of death was presumed so just a guesstimate.
This was the start of the German Spring Offensive. This phase was called Operation Michael.
This was a very chaotic time for the army so it's easy to make mistakes.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 March 19 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

I hadn't realised that it was at the start of the 'German Spring Offensive', so thanks for that. Also thanks for the operation name, most useful indeed. I would tend to agree that it being a chaotic time for the army, mistakes crept in!

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)