Author Topic: In less than 10 days...  (Read 4041 times)

Offline 4LauraM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
In less than 10 days...
« on: Wednesday 11 March 15 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I have only been registered on here for less than two weeks and I have filled in so
many blank spots in my family tree!

Incredible!

I now know how & when my maternal grandfather traveled from Australia / New Zealand to Canada
on the ship the Aorangi.

I've learned that my great grandfather (Capt. Thomas Miles) had over 10 children with 2 wives.

I've found three ancestors that perished in World War One.

Two ancestors were married in India.

Thank you all who read my posts & got me on the right track!

I now have half-Miles, full Miles & a whole lotta Clarke's in my tree!
 8)
MILES Christchurch, NZ / CLARKE Manchester, UK

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: In less than 10 days...
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 23:34 GMT (UK) »
That's what it's all about!  :)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 March 15 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Well done but please do not get carried away and accept the first answer you see.
Always look for other possibilities and get additional information of support your information.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 March 15 07:46 GMT (UK) »
I've been researching for 10 years on and off and some people on here have given me a couple of clues to take part of the family back beyond 1800 so I would also like to say a big thank you to everyone who takes the time and trouble to help out. I've got the opportunity to take a week in Scotland next month so here's hoping something else will hop out of the woodwork while I'm there!
Keddie, Hutson - Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Menzies, Montague - Penicuik and Castle Douglas
McEvoy, Cavanagh - Ireland

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 March 15 09:24 GMT (UK) »

I now have half-Miles, full Miles & a whole lotta Clarke's in my tree!
 8)
That's Rootschat for you... they go the extra Mile  8)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 March 15 13:39 GMT (UK) »
I know what you mean, obviously you do have to personally if possible check out information - but so often the help you get on here is really brilliant, and people are so altruistic, giving up their own time and delving onto sites you may not have access to, just to help someone else.
I've had some wonderful help, far more than I've been able to give back, I fear, and so I'm quite willing to hop into the subscription site I pay for, or other resources I may have access to, to try and help others out. People here are also so well-mannered, and thank you, even when you don't feel you've been of much help.
Even when it isn't a simple finding a date or fact, the people on here are so good at thinking round a problem, finding alternative ideas, especially when you're deeply stuck yourself. And also, simply browsing around can be fascinating - and sometimes you suddenly think "Ooh! I know something / someone that can help there..." and that's quite a warm feeling.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 March 15 13:50 GMT (UK) »
There are so many wonderfully helpful people on here xxxxxx  I cannot thank this site enough - Bless them all and Sarah and Trystan for making it so rewarding to be part of this ere Rootschat site..

luvly - happy place to drop in - when your stuck with a granny in the muck :) :)

he he he

crazy xin

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 March 15 14:00 GMT (UK) »
fao   Suek2075

I've been researching for 10 years on and off and some people on here have given me a couple of clues to take part of the family back beyond 1800 so I would also like to say a big thank you to everyone who takes the time and trouble to help out. I've got the opportunity to take a week in Scotland next month so here's hoping something else will hop out of the woodwork while I'm there!

Are you going to Edinburgh?
If you are, google Scotland's people, get the phone number.....
Book a pc in the offices, not sure how much it is now, but you need to book in advance of a visit.
You have the pc for the day (10.00AM till 4.00PM).
These records are the best I have ever used. It was £12.00 when I went a few years ago.
The birth records even gave the time of the birth. Also the church where the parents married.
There is another place in Glasgow but not sure where.
Maggsie

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 March 15 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Maggsie - thank you for that. I've been to the GRO twice before, spent three or four days there probably. Trouble is I get a bit addicted and could quite happily sit forever trawling through the records. Not sure what that says about me  ???  I've also spent a fair percentage of my salary at Scotlands People over the last 10 years  :'(  No, this time we're going to do another local recce around the Borders, check graveyards, monuments, etc. Maybe visit the BFHC. Last time I actually met a relative in a graveyard in Galashiels - I think she was a bit dubious about the stramge people poking around  ;D
Keddie, Hutson - Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Menzies, Montague - Penicuik and Castle Douglas
McEvoy, Cavanagh - Ireland