Author Topic: A**y has become our worst enemy  (Read 11801 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A**y has become our worst enemy
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 02 April 15 21:03 BST (UK) »
I have written something similar earlier in the thread but would like to say that I agree completely with pmgreen314.  J

Offline Periwhinkle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Evidence Analysis = Proof
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 02 April 15 23:24 BST (UK) »
Yes me too, darn well said pmgreen.  Why would I want anyone else spending years and years trying to find something that I can help them with?  Although in my day we did an immense amount of travel to accomplish a true genealogical profile...these days it seems too easy, but I love it all the same.  What once took me over 5 years to prove, crossing 3 continents, is now able to be done with just the click of a few buttons, amazing!  I am a full supporter of Ancestry and similar sites and intend to make full use of them before the flying rats drive me to insanity!!!
Poplite, anyone heard of that one?

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 06 April 15 07:00 BST (UK) »
I have constantly been emailing a particular person informing her that the information she had on her family tree on Ancestry was incorrect.  She has linked herself into my family incorrectly and is just guessing at names.  I have paid for the certificates, sighted the church records and told her of this numerous times but she still continues to leave the wrong information on her family tree on Ancestry.  She is also using my family photos and documents which she pinched off my correct tree.  People click into this information and then starting adding it to their tree thinking it is right.

I rang Ancestry a few months ago and explained what she had done.  Example, I have the death certificate for my GGGrandfahter stating he died in Queensland.  She has him listed as dying in the U.K.  I emailed her telling her it was wrong. She wouldn't answer my emails so I rang Ancestry.

Their response was that if it was a Public Tree they could do nothing.  They are aware of this happening all the time.  Their advice was to only do a Private Tree. 

I am more than happy to share with anyone what I have found.  I have paid for overseas travel, archival records and subscriptions to Family History societies but all that I ask for in return is for people to use the information correctly.

Make sure all your research is backed up with your own records as proof.  I am sure most people will be happy to give you a copy of what they have found if you ask them nicely.  We all love it when we have a breakthrough in our research, but please, don't just add information without a thorough check. 

Cheers

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 06 April 15 09:02 BST (UK) »
How true, Princess.  I spent 2 years before I finally persuaded an American user that our common ancestor (a direct ancestor on my hubby's side, a rather distant twig on hers) was not a Sir *** Mcd* but a lowly crofter.  I too am happy to help other people - I send out documentation to those unable to get it themselves and I receive other documentation from people.  It's the idle ones who do no research and, by adding your info incorrectly into their (unrelated) tree, sully the work of amateur genealogists who are genuinely interested in providing true history.
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee