Author Topic: A**y has become our worst enemy  (Read 11864 times)

Offline redmr2red

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 65% of all statistics are made up on the spot
    • View Profile
A**y has become our worst enemy
« on: Thursday 12 March 15 03:10 GMT (UK) »
I have so many people on A**y who have lifted information from my tree and got it wrong, it's not funny.   >:(   >:(   Repeated requests for them to correct it, or prove their research have gone unanswered.

I just hope people are not copying the wrong information to their trees and citing this and that tree as a reference.  And now who's can trust my tree, or anyone else's, for that matter.

Red
Clarence, England then Australia from 1912.
Copeland, England.
Lascelles / Lovett / Stevens, England.
Langford, England (Reading and Southampton).
Kipp / Rigbye / Randall, Germany then Victoria, Australia from 1849.
Boothman / Clifford / Marsden / Johnston in Australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: A**y has become our worst enemy
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 March 15 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Are you referring to the commercial website, Ancestry ?

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline redmr2red

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 65% of all statistics are made up on the spot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 March 15 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes, wasn't too sure about naming it here.
Clarence, England then Australia from 1912.
Copeland, England.
Lascelles / Lovett / Stevens, England.
Langford, England (Reading and Southampton).
Kipp / Rigbye / Randall, Germany then Victoria, Australia from 1849.
Boothman / Clifford / Marsden / Johnston in Australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 March 15 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Well, I don't have my family history records on any submitted tree on any commercial website, but if I did, I would not be including a lot of details, and I would certainly not be including anyone from a generation or two before me, as there are some rellies from those generations who are still alive, so they are entitled to their personal privacy.   Perhaps I am old fashioned, but to me, family history is about researching deceased ancestors, rather than seeking out those who are currently living. 

So if someone wanted to 'nick' my own research and re-label it as though it was their own, then I see no reason to make it easy for them to 'nick it' by publishing it online on any of the commercial websites.

On the other hand, if someone has nicked information about any of my own deceased direct ancestors, whether they are actually somehow connected to me through a shared ancestor or not,  makes me concerned about if they are actually seeking access to my own identity, or perhaps the identity of any of my living rellies.    And if they are doing that, in such a backdoor way, do I have concerns?  YES, then I do. 

But I cannot see that Ancestry or any of the other commercial websites, who all seem to have rules and terms and conditions about not displaying the names of the living are causing the initial issue. I would expect though that they should re-act promptly to requests about privacy of the living.  I don't see what they can do about those who want to copy your research as though it is their own, or worse still the poor form where you contact your fellow members and ask for confirmation of their own independent research when you can show that that research is likely to be authored by yourself.

As tactfully as possible, may I gently mention that those who are already deceased are not offended by what is published about them after their deaths.

So, in that respect, I think our own worst enemy is not Ancestry or the commercial websites like Ancestry, but rather the popularity of our shared hobby, and the lack of publicised standards for the publication of that research on the web.

Cheers,  JM   (Edited to add two final paragraphs)

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 March 15 04:11 GMT (UK) »
The very reason I dont put my tree's on line, I have paid to prove my work, and so many grab with out even checking the full content.
Cheers
Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 March 15 04:16 GMT (UK) »

But I cannot see that Ancestry or any of the other commercial websites, who all seem to have rules and terms and conditions about not displaying the names of the living are causing the initial issue.

Cheers,  JM   

Perhaps they do have rules about not displaying names of the living on Ancestry trees, however their record collections do contain names of the living, as do collections on the other big commercial site, FindMyPast.  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 March 15 04:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I agree Ruskie, and I can clearly see my own name on the uploaded NSW Electoral Rolls.   Just as I can see the GRO indexes for very recent UK births, ..... 

Cheers,  JM

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 March 15 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes, me too JM - only up to 1980 thank goodness. I am also included in some recent events in the UK which I am less than thrilled about.  ::)

Back to the OP's original gripe, which is a very regular topic on RootsChat (though generally not on specific to the Australia board) - the only way to prevent this is not to make your tree public. It is that simple. :)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 March 15 04:28 GMT (UK) »

those who are already deceased are not offended by what is published about them after their deaths.

Quite so  ;D

We do not own our deceased ancestors. Anyone in the world has  the right to claim connections if they choose.

If you wish your information to remain private, be very conservative in what you reveal to others, whether by published family tree or to those who approach you.

The thinking and logic of tree-makers is not the concern of Ancestry and why should it be?

Those putting trees online listing deceased forebears through the Ancestry facility, are acting within the law, regardless of their sources.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk