Author Topic: Which test is best for Viking ancestry?  (Read 7839 times)

Offline ajf25

• RootsChat Veteran
  • David John Hawker
    • View Profile
Re: Which test is best for Viking ancestry?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 15:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that  :)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 July 15 16:24 BST (UK) »
The maps in ftDNA show the incidence and frequency of Haplotypes at a series of geographical locations. Mine is common in Sweden, with a substantial incidence in Germany, Normandy, Sicily,Russia and the former Constantinople (now Istanbul) in addition to England. Sounds as though there was a Viking connection amongst my lot.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 September 15 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

Did your paternal grandmother have any brothers whose sons had sons who you could approach for a DNA sample?  If so, could be fun to test their Y DNA and see what haplogroup they turn out to be and where that haplogroup originated.  DNA testing companies may well offer Father's Day sales in June.  Like all genealogy, you never know what you will find!

Valerie

Yes, if you are a man and you test your Y DNA, the testing companies are quick to tell you that your ultimate male ancestor in the direct line was "Celtic", "Anglo-Saxon", "Norse" or whatever, but they don't seem so keen to predict ethnicity from an mtDNA test. I may be wrong, but I don't think that the mtDNA haplogroups are associated in the same way with particular ethnic groups.
To illustrate how confusing the whole issue is, my mtDNA haplogroup is J1c2. The ultimate J ancestress is supposed to have lived in the Middle East about 50,000 years ago, and that haplogroup is still common there, especially among the Bedouin (my distant cousins?). But the J1c2 clade or subgroup seems to have developed in Europe, and my earliest known female ancestor (mother's mother's mother etc.) was an Ulster Presbyterian in Belfast with a Scottish surname. I have quite a few matches with other J1c people whose ancestry goes back to northern Ireland, so do I count my J ancestry as "Celtic"? The problem there is that I also have matches (and have corresponded with some of them) who are Norwegian or Norwegian-American. So is there Viking ancestry there? You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Harry

Offline ajf25

• RootsChat Veteran
  • David John Hawker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 September 15 08:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your valued input  ;D

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 September 15 10:38 BST (UK) »
Just a small point: you would need to trace your ancestry back at least 30 generations to reach the so called Viking era. That means potentially more than a billion direct ancestors :o

If those ancestors lived anywhere in Europe it is highly probable that at least one of them was a Viking, given their mobility at the time. Unless, of course, your ancestors lived in a small isolated community having no contact with the outside world for hundreds of years :-\

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline ajf25

• RootsChat Veteran
  • David John Hawker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 September 15 22:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mike  :D