Author Topic: List of all Battle of Waterloo men - free lookup offer  (Read 25368 times)

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
List of all Battle of Waterloo men - free lookup offer
« on: Saturday 14 March 15 11:58 GMT (UK) »
I have only just returned to this forum after many years away - so, just to repeat an offer made years ago - I have a database of all 28,000+ British Waterloo combatants and would be very interested to hear from anyone who either
a) is looking for help in researching a Waterloo soldier or
b) would like to share details of their Waterloo ancestor with me

Ancestry.com and other similar sites will try to take your money to look up Waterloo men using the medal roll held at Kew. It would take too long to explain just how flawed and incomplete the medal roll is - but there are hundreds of Waterloo soldiers who do not appear on it for various reasons and, besides, the roll provides no biographical information.

Anyway - do please get in touch if you want me to look someone up. Please provide as much detail as possible - name and birthplace or regiment is often enough but if the surname is a common one then the more detail the better.

Kind regards
Martin

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: List of all Battle of Waterloo men - free lookup offer
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 March 15 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hei Martin,

Thanks for the offer of lookups. Putting my question in quickly before you are overwhelmed with eager rootschatters asking you to search :)

Curious to know what sort of representation there was from Northumberland in the Waterloo troops.
Do you have anyone with the surname Cracket or Crackett?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline catfordcrooner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 March 15 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this Martin

Do you have records of any Hurstwaites from the Wakefield/West Yorkshire area, particularly James, my direct ancestor.

Thanks
Jeff
Crawford
Taylor
Hurstwaite
Hayles
Dunlop
Neil - Cork, Ireland

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 March 15 13:02 GMT (UK) »
To take advantage of your generous offer, my gggrandfather James Griffiths born Mitcheltroy Mon. 1792 Died Soudley, Forest of dean, Glos. 1857. I have no reason to think he was a soldier. However, he would have become of military age c1809 and you had to belong to something.

His mother died in 1802 and his father about 1797. He and his sister would have had to go to another family due to tender ages. There was a James Griffiths attested, at Chepstow 1809, into the Monmouthshire Militia. Birthplace given as Ditton (must be Dixton Newton just north of Monmouth). Transferred to 56th Regiment 1813. Even if it was him, 56th was not at Waterloo.

I did find a James Griffiths in the 4th Regiment whose 1st Battalion was at Waterloo. 

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 March 15 13:07 GMT (UK) »
What a great offer !   8)

Offline knights

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 March 15 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Martin, thank you for the look-up offer of Waterloo records.

My ancester was a Thomas Carpenter born circa 1794 and I believe was in the 1st Dragoons.

Any info would be appreciated.

Kind regards

wendy

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Martin Aaron
Martin
I would really love to know if a Thomas Brown of the Royal Waggon Train did take part in the Battle of Waterloo.  The only thing I know for sure is that a son: George, born 21 Oct. 1815 in France Neuil in Dept. de Seine et Oise Father Thomas listed as Farrier, Royal Waggon Train.  Mother Mary in Chaplains Report. Signature of Adjutant J. Toogood Coward.

I understand there is a medal award to a Thomas Brown on Find my Past but I do not have subscription and therefore not checked that this is the right Thomas Brown and the little I have found on George Brown is that he also followed his father's footsteps being listed as Farrier. 

I would be grateful for any info. you may be able to give re the above. 
Howlett, Brown, Woodroofe, Mills, Battey, Woods

Offline carol02

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 March 15 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Martin
               Do you have any information on  Jacob Standley who served in 22 foot Regiment?  He was born in 1786 in Marton, Warwickshire. He joined the army in 1801 and served for 23 years so he may have been at the Battle of Waterloo. He spent some time in Mauritius and went to live there with his french wife and family when he was discharged from the army in 1823.

Carol

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 11:44 BST (UK) »
I have timedout to add this to my original Post. Can't remember where I found this, but he was supposed to be at Battle of waterloo:-

James Griffiths Pvte. Captain Joliffe's Company No 8. Oddly no regiment given, No 8 presumably refers to company number ie 8th (Battalion) Company out of 10 incl 1st Grenadier and 10th Light.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.