Author Topic: List of all Battle of Waterloo men - free lookup offer  (Read 24460 times)

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: List of all Battle of Waterloo men - free lookup offer
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 June 15 00:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Martin, much appreciated.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Grid64

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 June 15 02:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,

I wonder if you can help me with Charles Howard. He traveled to Australia with the Commissariat in 1823 on the Sir Godfrey Webster. Fortunately diarist GTWB Boyes was on the same ship and with the Commissariat and recorded some information in his diaries and letters about Charles Howard's family. Charles Howard's father was living in Southampton and Charles sister had spent some years in Barbados. (Chapman, Peter editor The Diaries and Letters of GTWB Boyes, 1985).

I found an Ann Howard married John Ware (or Wase), lieutenant, who was with the Royal York Rangers Rifle Regiment (and I found this regiment was at Barbados). John and Ann married at Southampton June 1809. Ann's father was Richard Howard according to the Marriage Allegation. I found a Charles Howard baptised Holy Rood Church Southampton in 1794 with father Richard and mother Sarah. An Ann Howard was baptised in 1785 at All Saints Southampton, where the marriage later was, with parents Richard and Sarah.

In 1920 Charles Howard's son Edward C O Howard recollected "My father went through the Peninsular war, and on the final evacuation of the British troops after Waterloo he was ordered to Sierra Leone. His next stations were Bathurst, Windsor, and Sydney, New South Wales, and in 1837 he took charge of the Commissariat department in Melbourne, retiring from the army in 1841 with the rank of assistant commissary general. He died in 1852." The Argus 6 March 1920

I'd like to know what role Charles had and any details about his age and family,

Ingrid

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 26 June 15 20:11 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=715581.msg5595229#msg5595229

Martin

Still trying to find Thomas Brown, Royal Waggon Train Regiment.  I recall reading somewhere that Wellington mentioned the Royal Waggon Train and how helpful they were in helping to win the battle of Waterloo.  May I ask if you have any enlisted men named Brown, Thomas, he was a Farrier, on your list of names.
 I have checked the Archives and they do have a couple of Brown's but as I do not know anything other that he and his wife were in France in 1815 and I see none for London if that is where he was enlisted and where his son George who was born in France 1815 lived.  I have and still am trying to get more (CERTS) from George Brown info but so far no info that would help re finding the enlistment records for his  father Thomas. Thank you, Lookin2
Howlett, Brown, Woodroofe, Mills, Battey, Woods

Offline BrazilianBombshell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 26 June 15 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Martin,
Thank you so much for the offer.  I'm looking for information on a James Wigfield born in 1773 Oyland, Yorkshire.  He was with the  2nd Royal Tower Hamlets Militia – Bethnal Green.
Made up from Gent to Lieutenant – April 1812 – (War Office 20.09.1825) I have just 2 records of him, both in the Census of 1851 and 1861.  I have not found him in any other census.  Why or when he moved to London is a mystery.  Thank you very much.

Davies - Brazil
Pooley - London
Preston- Lincoln
Martyn - Lincoln
Cannon - Lincoln
Griffin - Dorset
Poore - Dorset
Dickinson - Leicester & Dorset

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 27 June 15 10:24 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=715581.msg5595229#msg5595229

Martin

Still trying to find Thomas Brown, Royal Waggon Train Regiment.  I recall reading somewhere that Wellington mentioned the Royal Waggon Train and how helpful they were in helping to win the battle of Waterloo.  May I ask if you have any enlisted men named Brown, Thomas, he was a Farrier, on your list of names.
 I have checked the Archives and they do have a couple of Brown's but as I do not know anything other that he and his wife were in France in 1815 and I see none for London if that is where he was enlisted and where his son George who was born in France 1815 lived.  I have and still am trying to get more (CERTS) from George Brown info but so far no info that would help re finding the enlistment records for his  father Thomas. Thank you, Lookin2

Hi, there IS a Thomas Brown listed in the RWT at Waterloo (and would have been awarded a medal, along with all other soldiers present in the campaign). He is listed as being in Number 1 Troop. However, he is listed as an ordinary Private not a Farrier so may be a different Thomas Brown. I'm sorry I don't have any more details - email me at xxxxxxx if you have any other questions I can try to help with

Moderator comment. Email address removed as per Rootschat anti spam policy. Please use Rootschat Personal Message ( PM) system to exchange details

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 27 June 15 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Martin,
Thank you so much for the offer.  I'm looking for information on a James Wigfield born in 1773 Oyland, Yorkshire.  He was with the  2nd Royal Tower Hamlets Militia – Bethnal Green.
Made up from Gent to Lieutenant – April 1812 – (War Office 20.09.1825) I have just 2 records of him, both in the Census of 1851 and 1861.  I have not found him in any other census.  Why or when he moved to London is a mystery.  Thank you very much.

Sorry - no James Wigfield at Waterloo

Offline BrazilianBombshell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 27 June 15 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,
Thank you for trying.  The man remains a mystery.
Davies - Brazil
Pooley - London
Preston- Lincoln
Martyn - Lincoln
Cannon - Lincoln
Griffin - Dorset
Poore - Dorset
Dickinson - Leicester & Dorset

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 28 June 15 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

A very kind offer!  I have a discharge paper for my ancestor Jeremiah Hall of 'Eaton Bridge' (Edenbridge) in Kent dated 1822.  He was born in 1789.  He signed up in 1807 at the age of 18 and was in the Royal Artillery, he was discharged from Ireland.  If he was in the Royal Artillery at that point would that have meant he would have fought at Waterloo?  I have tried searching on find my past and came up with his statement of service but that is all.  He doesn't seem to come up on their list.  Would you be able to help.

Kerryb
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 28 June 15 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

A very kind offer!  I have a discharge paper for my ancestor Jeremiah Hall of 'Eaton Bridge' (Edenbridge) in Kent dated 1822.  He was born in 1789.  He signed up in 1807 at the age of 18 and was in the Royal Artillery, he was discharged from Ireland.  If he was in the Royal Artillery at that point would that have meant he would have fought at Waterloo?  I have tried searching on find my past and came up with his statement of service but that is all.  He doesn't seem to come up on their list.  Would you be able to help.

Kerryb

Hi Kerry - the Royal Artillery consisted of many different battalions and most were not at Waterloo, so I'm afraid the answer is no - being in the RA does not necessarily mean he was there. There is no Jeremiah Hall on my current lists. You say you have a copy of his discharge papers - these will have "Waterloo - 2 years" or something similar written on it (next to his dates of service) if he was a Waterloo Man.
I hope this helps - do email me at xxxxxx if you have any other questions

Moderator comment. Email address removed as per Rootschat anti spam policy. Please use Rootschat Personal Message ( PM) system to exchange details