Author Topic: List of all Battle of Waterloo men - free lookup offer  (Read 24458 times)

Offline Maggyanne1950

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: List of all Battle of Waterloo men - free lookup offer
« Reply #36 on: Monday 18 January 16 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin, If your generous offer is still open, I have a missing person by the name of William Addis of Newark, Nottinghamshire. He married in 1797, had 3 children, then his wife had 3 further children baptised as illegitimate. I am speculating that he may have been in the militia. There is no death record. Thanks, if you are able to tell me anything.
Middlesex and Somerset: Way, Cox, Chapman, Griggs, Clewett, Carrier/Norris, Salter, Janes.
Cheshire and Lancashire: Holt, LLoyd, Williams, Hayne, Rogers, Davies, Simpson
Wales: Lloyd, Williams
Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire; Smith, Swann, Brookes, Cooper, Elliot, Knight, Addis, Ellis, Longlands, Beaver, Marshall, Handley

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 29 January 16 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggyanne
Sorry for delay, I have been neglecting rootschat!
The only William Addis I have at Waterloo is from Muchdue, Hertfordshire. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Martin

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Gari Boys ( and girls! )
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 29 January 16 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin

Thank you very much for your message. I've sent you a PM.

Your time is much appreciated

kind regards
Alfietcs

Offline Maggyanne1950

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 30 January 16 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for looking Martin
Middlesex and Somerset: Way, Cox, Chapman, Griggs, Clewett, Carrier/Norris, Salter, Janes.
Cheshire and Lancashire: Holt, LLoyd, Williams, Hayne, Rogers, Davies, Simpson
Wales: Lloyd, Williams
Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire; Smith, Swann, Brookes, Cooper, Elliot, Knight, Addis, Ellis, Longlands, Beaver, Marshall, Handley

Offline Sharon Clayton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 03 March 16 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!
I'm looking for the names of the parents of Alexander Campbell, 79th Regiment of Foot, who died at Waterloo 18 June 1815. He had been in the Militia and Army since 1803.

In May 1809, the Record of Non Commissioned Officers, Trumpeters and Privates of His Majesty's 1st Btn. 79th of Foot indicates that he gave his age as 28, born Kinvaigh (Kenovay) Tiree.  That would make his estimated birth year 1781.

In June 1818, his dues of 7/8 were discharged to his widow in Tiree (Catherine MacLean).  They were married 3 Feb 1808.

I am hoping to find a family connection between Alexander Campbell's Tiree family and my own Campbells of Tiree.  My Tiree GGGG Grandfather Dougald Campbell was born before 1768, so this brick wall is proving hard to break down.  Many thanks,  Sharon

Offline sparky54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 09 April 16 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,
Just found your offer for free look-up for Battle of Waterloo Men.
I am looking for more information on Peter Montgomery my 4th great grandfather.  Peter was born about 1775 in Dromore, Co. Down.  He served in the 27th Foot and was wounded at the Battle of Waterloo.  He was discharged from Chelsea Hospital on July 2, 1816 at the age of 41.  I do not know when Peter was married, but his wife was Mary Lavery.  He had three known daughters, Charlotte, Ann and Eleanor.  Eleanor was born in 1819 in Dromore after Peter left the Army.  He also had a son, but his name is unknown.  Peter immigrated to Canada in 1827 to take advantage of the free land offered to former soldiers.  When Peter applied for his land in Canada he said he was as Sergeant.  Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 09 April 16 20:50 BST (UK) »
You seem to be having trouble with how Chelsea was involved. Chelsea did not provide medical treatment. After discharge from the army to pension the records of the soldier were sent to Chelsea Hospital who paid the pensions.

Ken

Offline sparky54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

The following is a portion of a letter written in 1891 by Peter Montgomery’s youngest daughter about her father at the Battle of Waterloo:

“He was wounded just as the battle was gained.  He lay bleeding on the field until he was almost dead when he was found by a British Officer and taken to a house where he was cared for until he was taken to Chelsea Hospital where he remained for two years until he was well when he returned home to my mother and the children.”

This is why I thought that he had been taken to Chelsea Hospital for treatment.

Sparky

Offline johnnydiamond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 01 May 16 08:46 BST (UK) »
hi..i dont no if any ancestors was at waterloo..my name is a rare one....any listed will give me some research to do....thank you....my name is HALSEY..