Author Topic: List of all Battle of Waterloo men - free lookup offer  (Read 24484 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: List of all Battle of Waterloo men - free lookup offer
« Reply #54 on: Friday 16 December 16 06:14 GMT (UK) »
I keep seing this thread popping up as people request lookups.

Juat to let everyone know that Martin hasn't been on rootschat since February this year, so you may or may not get lookups for your men.
Is he contactable or his database available elsewhere?  His database is worth some money.

If you click on his name, you will be taken to his profile.
On the left is a list, including "send PM".
Click on that to send him a personal message.
It may be that he has changed email addresses and will not receive your message, or there may be other reasons he has jot returned to rootschat or responded to any requests since February.

Offline BradMajors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 17 December 16 23:26 GMT (UK) »
If anyone knows if he is contactable or if his database is available elsewhere please respond to this discussion or send me a PM.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 18 December 16 00:26 GMT (UK) »
See my reply above at #54. Have you sent him a PM? If so, you might need to give him a few days to get back to you.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 18 December 16 00:42 GMT (UK) »
I Googled and found .....

He has photobucket:
http://s717.photobucket.com/user/martin_aaron/library/Waterloo%20Men?sort=6&page=1

http://www.waterloomen.com/

http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Britain/Infantry/c_2-69Waterloo.html
(clicking on his name on this link leads to a Hotmail address)

Another site he is involved in: https://heritagehelpers.co.uk/account/participants/profile/id/7539

[there may be other sites related to Waterloo and Martin Aaron - these are just a few I found via a simple google search]

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 18 December 16 00:53 GMT (UK) »
I think I have located his address and phone number which I will send via PM

Offline jennifervanlens

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 01 March 18 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Martin,

Please let me know if you have any information about Thomas Pink, 28th Regiment of Foot, who served at Quatre Bras and the Battle of Waterloo.  I know he served under Captain John Howes, was a carpenter by trade and became a Chelsea Pensioner.  He was injured in the leg at Quatre Bras.  Any help greatly appreciated.

Jennifer Van Lens

Offline mirandalaird

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 30 November 18 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Martin,

Like Ingrid, I am also looking for Charles Howard, as per her message quoted below

Hi Martin,

I wonder if you can help me with Charles Howard. He traveled to Australia with the Commissariat in 1823 on the Sir Godfrey Webster. Fortunately diarist GTWB Boyes was on the same ship and with the Commissariat and recorded some information in his diaries and letters about Charles Howard's family. Charles Howard's father was living in Southampton and Charles sister had spent some years in Barbados. (Chapman, Peter editor The Diaries and Letters of GTWB Boyes, 1985).

I found an Ann Howard married John Ware (or Wase), lieutenant, who was with the Royal York Rangers Rifle Regiment (and I found this regiment was at Barbados). John and Ann married at Southampton June 1809. Ann's father was Richard Howard according to the Marriage Allegation. I found a Charles Howard baptised Holy Rood Church Southampton in 1794 with father Richard and mother Sarah. An Ann Howard was baptised in 1785 at All Saints Southampton, where the marriage later was, with parents Richard and Sarah.

In 1920 Charles Howard's son Edward C O Howard recollected "My father went through the Peninsular war, and on the final evacuation of the British troops after Waterloo he was ordered to Sierra Leone. His next stations were Bathurst, Windsor, and Sydney, New South Wales, and in 1837 he took charge of the Commissariat department in Melbourne, retiring from the army in 1841 with the rank of assistant commissary general. He died in 1852." The Argus 6 March 1920

I'd like to know what role Charles had and any details about his age and family,

Ingrid

Thanks so much

Miranda Laird

Offline Philnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 16 January 21 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this thread is still active but here's another post to ask a question concerning an ancestor of mine who might be a Waterloo Man.

His name is Daniel Finch born 1791 in Dudley, West Midlands, he's my 5 x Great Uncle. He may be the same Daniel Finch who was a Private with the 2nd Regiment of Foot, Coldstream Guards, in Lieutenant Colonel Henry Dawkin's Company.

I have found a couple of records that mention a Daniel Finch of the same age being present at Waterloo.
I've also found a record for a "Waterloo medal" in the name of Daniel Finch which was sold in 2013.

Daniel's first daughter Elizabeth and his first son Alexander were born 1814 and 1821 respectively and on their baptism record they have their father's occupation as "Soldier".

Could anyone please tell me where I might find more information? Such as a service number, place of birth or parents name, anything that might identify him as my relative from Dudley.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Phil
Looking for:  Bird, Webb, Prosser, Dudley, Page
Links to: King Beli Mawr "The Great" of the Druids of the Celtic Britons born circa 110 BC, King Henry VII, William Cartwright (poet),
Pilgrim Fathers, The Gunpowder Plot, Sir Thomas Lawrence (portrait painter), Matthew Holbeche Bloxam, John Cadbury (chocolatier),
 Sir Barnes Wallis

Offline simpleboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 08 May 21 02:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Martin,

Please let me know if you have any information about Thomas Pink, 28th Regiment of Foot, who served at Quatre Bras and the Battle of Waterloo.  I know he served under Captain John Howes, was a carpenter by trade and became a Chelsea Pensioner.  He was injured in the leg at Quatre Bras.  Any help greatly appreciated.

Jennifer Van Lens
Are you still seeking information on 'Thomas Pink'?