Author Topic: Mawhinney at Newtownards  (Read 6363 times)

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mawhinney at Newtownards
« on: Saturday 14 March 15 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Here is a potted history of my MaWhinney/McWhinney family of Newtownards It runs over the 5,500 characters allowed here, so I'll try posting in two parts.
[ PART 1 ]

Griffith's Valuation in 1863 shows 33 properties around the intersection of Mill Street and Frederick Street with Leesors as three Mawhinneys. One of those, Kenneth, is shown as a Publican on Frederick Street in an 1852 business Directory, presumably the Mawhinney interests on the streets go back to then or earlier. One of the three Mawinneys, James, was noted as a builder and mason, he held most property, including the prominent pub on the north-east corner, and it can be presumed he was builder of the development, with brothers Kenneth and Robert as investors. Derk Beattie's website includes a file on the pub, "The Scrabo Arms", including photo of a sculpted stone face that overlooked the intersection of Mill Street and Frederick Street which probably was James Mawhinney.

James and later his son John held the properties till the 1890s, his grand-daughter's husband William McGimpsey continued as Publican there through at least the 1901 census.

The two other Mawhinney's, Robert and Kenneth, are difficult to identify after the 1863 Valuation, however I think they were brothers Robert McWhinney who died 30 April, 1870 at Conlig, Parish of Bangor, aged 68, and Kenneth McWhinney died at Island Hill, Comber 16 March, 1882, age noted as 78. The will of Kenneth notes as well as being a farmer in Comber he owned property in Newtownards; in 1863 he had an unoccupied building North Street, rated value of ten pounds makes it the most valuable property on North Street, shown in some records as a public house. At some point Kenneth's son, another Kenneth, had the property rented out to the Burrows family (possibly from before the elder Kenneth's 1882 death), who had a bicycle shop there into the early 20th century.

Though a clear sibling relationship between James and the other two Mawhinneys is not documented, a grandson of James with his wife Charlotte were witnesses to the 1891 marriage at Ballyblack Presbyterian Church of a daughter of Kenneth, Elizabeth "Lizzie" Mawhinney, to William Boyd.

James Mawhinney, the builder and mason, from ages of his children was most likely born sometime 1794-1809, his wife was Margaret Bailie. I think James died 1863, as though he is named in the 1863 Valuation his wife Margaret in a newspaper article that year is noted in expulsion of one of the named tenants.

James had at least five children, the sons continuing as masons, bricklayers, and publicans, in addition son John till around 1880 was a grocer, and from the early 1870s owned several quarries near Newtownards.

Second known child of James, John, was born about 1834. He continued the families varied occupations, including grocer, but began to invest in quarries around Newtownards, a business he would have been familiar with as his father was a mason and builder. An 1874 court case notes John as partner with a farmer, Johnstone, in having a bond to secure the rent of the red sandstone quarry at Dundonald, the quarrier then being delinquent. By 1876 John is noted as having the quarry himself, when there was a strike of the workers. That strike was quickly settled, with the workers agreeing to same pay but starting the day at 6:00 a.m. rather than 7. Bad feelings among his thirty employees there continued though, and a few months later someone blew up the boiler, essential to run the pumps that kept the pit from flooding. His quarry obtained a reputation for quality product, supplying construction of prominant church and other buildings. 1 November, 1883 John took leese of the "White or Globe Quarry", also known as "rhe Glebe Quarry", at Ballyalton by Scrabo, re-opening early the next year. His son James almost died there in an accident a few years later. Not clear when John gave up the quarries, he is noted in 1888 as a quarry owner, and an 1896 ad for sale of the farm that included the Glebe quarry noted it had been mined until recently.
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mawhinney at Newtownards
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 March 15 17:17 GMT (UK) »
[ PART 2 ]

Descendants of John's daughter Margaret thought there was a family connection to the slate quarries at Whitespots, but so far but note has only been found of him having the quarries at Dundonald and Scrabo.

John married firstly in 1862 to Sarah Magill, daughter of John Magill. His father in the registration noted as "Builder", hers as "Carpenter". John himself is then "Grocer" at Mill Street. From then to 1866 they have a son and three daughters born. Tragedy strikes the family in 1867; Sarah pregnant is struck with phthisis, tuberculoses of the lungs. She gives birth 1 October to Robert, and dies two weeks later, 15 October. Young Robert himself follows soon after, 22 November.

A Widower with four young children to care for, John looks to have taken aid and comfort from Sarah's sister, Anna. Their first child was born March 1869, John then noted as a Publican at Mill Street. The birth registration implies parents were married, however the marriage looks to have been registered January 1870 at Belfast, John a Widower, Grocer, resident Newtownards, son of James MaWhinney, to Anna MaGill, daughter of John Magill (occupation "Farmer", but most likely the same John Magill who was father of his first wife, then noted as "Carpenter"). There is a possibility that the second marriage was registered late as there was ambiguity in the laws considering marrying a dead wife's sister. John and Anna had eight children together to 1883, making thirteen children he had with the two Magill sisters.

The home owned by James on Mill Street in 1863 and rented to John was in 1879 noted as rented out by John to James Holland, late that year James applied for a spirits licence for the site, approval was held up until January the next year as the Chief Constable objected to the building being connected to unlicenced houses on other streets and renovations had to be made (presumably doors and gates were walled up), John from that date on appears again in records as "Publican". In the 1880 Street Directory he is "John, spirit dealer, Mill Street and Frederick Street". At 1881 marriage of John's daughter Margaret John is confirmed as Publican, however Margaret's residence was "Frederick Street", presumably the family home was around the corner from the pub. In 1884 he had occupation "Spirit Dealer". In 1893 he was noted as a property owner at Mill Street (the pub he had owned and occupied there till 1889 was then rented by William McGimpsey, husband of his daughter Margaret), and in the 1901 census his second wife Anna was at Belfast listed as "married" (John may by then have been in Australia, where he died 1903).

By 1893 the Pub on Mill Street had William McGimpsey as Publican. William had married in 1881 to Margaret MaWhinney, a daughter of John. Margaret and William McGimpsey had fourteen children, and are buried together, descendants of the couple continue at Bangor and Australia.

The eldest child of John and his first wife, Sarah, was James MaWhinney, born 1862, died 1911 at Belfast, a bricklayer then working on a church on York Street, cause of death was noted as "probably sudden heart failure". James married in 1886 to Charlotte Smiley from Whitespots, daughter of Alexander Smiley and Catherine Goudey, likely born 1863, Charlotte survived James and lived to 1951 at Belfast.

James descent almost ended in 1887, when working at his father's quarry at Scrabo he tumbled forty feet down the rockface, his head terribly smashed with brain exposed, arm broken in two places, and other injuries.

Birth registrations show the family moved to Belfast about 1890, though James and Charlotte were witnesses 9 October, 1891, at Ballyblack Presbyterian Church to the marriage of James' cousin Elizabeth "Lizzie" Mawhinney to William Boyd. James and Charlotte had nine children, the first three born at Newtownards. One of those children was my grandmother.

Youngest child of John Mawhinney was Kenneth, a "Joiner" (carpenter) born 1883, married Eleanor Cox and had three children, two born at Belfast, the third at Newtownards. Likely Kenneth and Eleanor died young, as their children were in care of the Barnardo Homes when the boys emigrated to Sydney, N.S.W., in 1926, and the daughter followed two years later.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 14:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for sharing your potted history.  It spurred me to look before Griffiths, as I remembered someone hunting for this name in Ballywalter and finding some pre 1800 items.
The irish Tithe Applotments have only recently gone on line for co Down, so thats where I started
Ballywalter From http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/ballywalter-parish.php#.VS0VJUuDoYU
Mawhinney, Alexdr.    Townland: Dunover Year: 1834
Mawhinney, Jas.    Townland: Ballyatwood Year: 1834
Mawhinney, John    Townland: Dunover Year: 1834
Mawhinney, Robt.    Townland: Dunover Year: 1834
Mawhinney, Saml.    Townland: Dunover Year: 1834
Mawhinney, Thos.    Townland: Dunover Year: 1834
Mawhinney, Wm.    Townland: Ballyatwood Year: 1834

Bangor From http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/bangor-parish.php#.VS0MpEuDoYU
McWhinney, Andrew Townland: Ballygratt Year: 1834

Comber From http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/comber-parish.php#.VS0NBEuDoYU
McWhinney, Saml.    Townland: Tullygirven Year: 1835

Donaghadee From http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/donaghadee-parish.php#.VS0MPUuDoYU
Mawhinny, A.        Townland: Killaughy Year: 1834
Mawhinny, Jas.    Townland: Ballyhaskin Year: 1834
Mawhinny, Jas.    Townland: Ballyrolly Year: 1834

Dundonald from http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/dundonald-parish.php#.VS0OCEuDoYU
none

Greyabbey http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/greyabbey-parish.php#.VS0OUkuDoYU
Mawhinney, James    Townland: Tullyhevin Year: 1833

Newtownards is the centre place of these civil parishes  but disappointment, only two townlands apparently recorded ie Ballyskeaugh and Little Ballyskeaugh
http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/newtownards-parish.php#.VS0PK0uDoYU
None so far.   The originals are held in PRONI so it might be worthwhile checking of more townlands exist in their original volumes than as yet on line with irishgenealogyhub

The I tried Ros Davies Co Down website http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/ and found my Ballywalter items again So you probably know all of this , but just in case I am sending it onwards
Thanks again JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Kazzalady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 April 17 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hello don_niagara.

Thanks for your post about the Mawhinneys of Newtownards.  I was very interested to read the information about William McGimpsey that was included. I am hoping you may be willing to share any further information on him and his family as I am researching the McGimpseys of Mill Isle.  My husband is a descendent. 

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 April 17 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hiya Kazzalady, you wrote;

Hello don_niagara.

Thanks for your post about the Mawhinneys of Newtownards.  I was very interested to read the information about William McGimpsey that was included. I am hoping you may be willing to share any further information on him and his family as I am researching the McGimpseys of Mill Isle.  My husband is a descendent.

Great to see, though your message notes "Mill Isle" I assume you were referring to the "Mill Street" location, the William McGimpsey there who married "Maggie" Mawhinney was born about 1853 at Ballyblack, (an unconfirmed source says born 29 March, 1852 "in Granshaw, Ireland"), to father Robert McGimpsey, a blacksmith at Newtownards, from various postings and sources I have charted descent of William and Maggie as part of my own tree at a non public location I will PM to you.  I have not charted ancestry of William as my tie to the family is through Maggie (a sister of my own gt-grandfather, James Mawhinney). You can see the McGimpseys in my chart at about two thirds down, beginning with Maggie Mawhinney whose chart number is 1-2-2

My email address is (*) if your husband does descend from the Mill St. McGimpseys he is a distant cousin of mine, and I'd appreciate any corrections or additions to that chart, which is not publically displayed as it does contain some data on living people.

All the best from Niagara,

Donald

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 April 17 08:59 BST (UK) »
Millisle/Mill Isle is a village south of Donaghadee-
https://www.townlands.ie/down/ards-lower/donaghadee/ballymacruise/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 April 17 17:27 BST (UK) »
Millisle brought back such memories of my familyreunion holiday in 1946/7 [3 had survived WW2 volunteer service} brought back such fond memories that I couldnt resist following the story of the McGimpsey of Millisle.
Millisle or Mill Isle is a village on the Ards Peninsula in County Down, Northern Ireland. It is about 3 miles (4.8 km) south of Donaghadee. It is situated in the townlands of Ballymacruise and Ballycopeland, the civil parish of Donaghadee
for a map of townlands that also plots Millisle see
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/MAPS/DonaghadeeTownlands.htm

Tithes Applotment Books 1823-1837 based upon the index of the Irish Genealogy Hub
listing for each parish in Northern Ireland.  The relevant original books are in the
Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast
McGimpsy, John-Townland: Ballyhay Year: 1834-Donaghadee-Down

Griffiths valuation 1863 see http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
McGimpsey, Robert Carrowdore village Ballyrawer Townland1863-Donaghadee-Down map ref 42,53
McGimpsey, William C.   Killaghy-Townland1834-Donaghadee-Down map ref 12A, 12B.
McGimpsey, Robert Killaghy-Townland1863-Donaghadee-Down map ref 29.
has 2 sublets 
this valuation is continued in Valuation Revision Books online at open http://apps.proni.gov.uk/Val12B/Search.aspxand type in Donaghadee

There are entries for Ballymacruise and Ballycopeland townlands where Millisle is. good luck in your search   

Searching elsewhere for Millisle Mcgimpsey
Ros Davies co Down webste has a McGimpsey sub data base http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Mc/McGimpsey.htm
these entries are specific to Millisle
Edward Bruce McGIMPSEY   .   Donaghadee   b. Millisle , son of William McGimpsey ; aged 21 ; single ; arrived in USA 8 Jul 1922 to stay with uncle Robert McGimpsey of Omaha, New York   Shipping records; Lesley Fielder
Robert   McGIMPSEY   .   Donaghadee & Newtownards   of Millisle ; a labourer ; son of William McGimpsey (a car driver ); married Annie Agnew of Ballycopeland 13 Dec 1905 at Ballyblack Presbyterian Church, witnesses George & Aggie Bennett   PR

The 1901 census is especially interesting
11 in Millisle (Carrowdore, Down)
McGimpsey   William   48   Male   Head of Family   Presbyterian   Down   Publican   Read and write   -   Married   -
McGimpsey   Lizzie   33   Female   Wife   Presbyterian   Down   Publicans Wife   Read and write   -   Married   -
McGimpsey   Robert    18   Male   Son   Presbyterian   United States   Car-Driver   Read and write   -   Not Married   -
McGimpsey   Thomas   16   Male   Son   Presbyterian   United States   Apprentice-Draper   Read and write   -   Not Married   -
McGimpsey   Edward   11   Male   Son   Presbyterian   Down   Scholar   Read and write   -   Not Married   -
McGimpsey   Agnes   8   Female   Daughter   Presbyterian   Down   Scholar   Read and write   -   Not Married   -
22 in Millisle (Carrowdore, Down)
McGimpsey   John   35   Male   Head of Family   Presbyterian   Co Down   Farmer   Read and write   -   Married   -
McGimpsey   Lizzie   35   Female   Wife   Presbyterian   Co Down   Farmer's Wife   Read and write   -   Married
McGimpsey   Robert John   10   Male   Son   Presbyterian   Co Down   Scholar   Read and write   -   Not Married   -
McGimpsey   Arthur   6   Male   Son   Presbyterian   Co Down   Scholar   Scholar   -   Not Married   -

The 1911 census has an entry under Ballymacruise Carrowdore District which contains Millisle
9 in Ballycopeland (Carrowdore, Down)
McGimpsey   William   58   Male   Head of Family   Presbyterian   Co Down   Labourer   Read and write   Irish   Married   -   20   -   2
McGimpsey   Lizzie   43   Female   Wife   Presbyterian   Co Down   -   Read and write   Irish   Married   -   20   2   2
McGimpsey   Agnes   18   Female   Daughter   Presbyterian   Co Down   -   Read and write   Irish   Single   -   -   -   -

84 in Ballymacruise (Carrowdore, Down)
note Robert born in Co Antrim
McGimpsey   Robert   30   Male   Head of Family   Presbyterian   Antrim   Gen Labourer   Read and write   -   Married   -   5   -   3
McGimpsey   Annie   30   Female   Wife   Presbyertreen   Down   -   Read and write   -   Married   -   5   3   3
McGimpsey   Robert   3   Male   Son   Presbyterian   Down   -   Cannot read   -   Single   -   -   -   -
McGimpsey   Lille   5   Female   Daughter   Presbyterian   Scotland   -   Cannot read   -   Single   -   -   -   -
McGimpsey   Mary Ann   1   Female   Daughter   Presbyterian   Down   -   Cannot read   -   Single   -

Hoping that interests you all
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide