Author Topic: CARAFFA KINGSMAN ANNABLE KNIGHT TAYLOR SHAW WOOD  (Read 4293 times)

Offline RONTAYLOR121

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching Various Names
    • View Profile
CARAFFA KINGSMAN ANNABLE KNIGHT TAYLOR SHAW WOOD
« on: Monday 19 July 04 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I’m trying to find my grandfathers true identity, I don’t know his true name, date, year or place of birth.

I think that my grandfather might be a descendant of Terence Henry Caraffa and Emma Caraffa (nee Garrett/Garritt).

The following births and marriages took place in the London area of England UK :-
Terence & Emma Caraffa had a daughter Rosina Millicent Caraffa c1837.
Rosina Millicent Caraffa married William Long Kingsman in 1858, they had a daughter Rosina Emma Kingsman born 1859, what other children did they have ?
William Long Kingsman died 1861.
Rosina Millicent Kingsman married William Annable in 1868.
Rosina Millicent and William Annable had at least one child, Florence Louise Annable born c1874, what other children did they have ?
Rosina Emma Kingsman married James Knight in 1883, what children did they have ?

What other descendants are there of any of these people ?

My first knowledge of my grandfather is that in 1905 he was a “Street Musician” using the name Louigi / Luigi Caraffi and living with my grandmother (Eliza Ann Shaw) in Leeds Yorkshire.
I’ve been told that the name Caraffi / Caraffa, probably was  not my grandfathers birth name.

By 1912 my grandparents were using the names John and Eliza Taylor.

My grandparents were associated with a WOOD family that lived in the Leeds area of Yorkshire in the late 1800’s / early 1900’s.

There are a number of family tales about my grandfathers occupation prior to 1905, the main two being a “Clerk” or a “Piano Tuner”.

My grandmothers parents were William and Annie Eliza Shaw (nee Brewster) who’s children were George, Margaret, Harriet E., Mary E, Susannah and my grandmother Eliza Ann.

The following names may be connected :-
BREWSTER, SHAW, WOOD, GOMERSALL, KELSEY, WELLS, GARNER, JOYNSON, THORPE, RINGROSE, ROTHSCHILD, LISTER, TAYLOR, THOMPSON, TURNER, CARAFFI, CARAFFA, KINGSMAN, ANNABLE, KNIGHT.

Any information much appreciated, however small.

Thanks Ron

Offline JDG

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Member
  • Butcher & Orlando One Name Studies
    • View Profile
Re: CARAFFA KINGSMAN ANNABLE KNIGHT TAYLOR SHAW WOOD
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 July 04 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Ron

Re CARAFFA & CARAFFI
I have now found this post which indicates where this name occurs in England.

There is a large Italian community in Clerkenwell London and certainly in Leeds. The Occupation of Street Muscian is again a typical Italian occupation.

Many Italians did change their names. If you can get to Kew see if the name occurs in any Naturalisation records.
Regards,
Julie

Researching:
ORLANDO - One Name Study (everywhere & especially Sutera Sicily) - (GOONS 3925)
BUDD (Puttenham Surrey)
ELSTONE (Bramshott Hampshire)
GOUCHER (Scarcliffe Derbyshire)
MATTHEWS, Edith married Charles JELLEY 1902 Guildford. Descendants sought!
WORSHIP - One Name Study (especially Huntingdonshire)- (GOONS 3925)
BUTCHER - One Name Study (especially Wonersh Surrey) - (GOONS 3925)
Puttenham Surrey - One Place Study
Sutera Sicily - One Place Study

Offline JDG

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Member
  • Butcher & Orlando One Name Studies
    • View Profile
Re: CARAFFA KINGSMAN ANNABLE KNIGHT TAYLOR SHAW WOOD
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 July 04 19:49 BST (UK) »
A quick search produced these two results under the directories section:

Ann Caraffa - Subscribed to The History and Antiquities of the Abbey and Borough of Evesham, compiled chiefly from MS. in the British Museum, 1794, TINDAL, William. Evesham
Subject: history

Paolo Caraffa  - Subscribed to, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate, market, and post towns, parishes, and villages, with historical and statistical descriptions; embellished with engravings of the arms of the cities, bishopricks, corporate towns, and boroughs; and of the seals of the several municipal corporations: with an Appendix, describing the electoral boundaries of the several boroughs, as defined by the act of the 2d & 3d of William IV., 1837, LEWIS, Samuel, London.
Published by S. Lewis & Co. 87, Aldersgate Street subject: topography 
Regards,
Julie

Researching:
ORLANDO - One Name Study (everywhere & especially Sutera Sicily) - (GOONS 3925)
BUDD (Puttenham Surrey)
ELSTONE (Bramshott Hampshire)
GOUCHER (Scarcliffe Derbyshire)
MATTHEWS, Edith married Charles JELLEY 1902 Guildford. Descendants sought!
WORSHIP - One Name Study (especially Huntingdonshire)- (GOONS 3925)
BUTCHER - One Name Study (especially Wonersh Surrey) - (GOONS 3925)
Puttenham Surrey - One Place Study
Sutera Sicily - One Place Study