Author Topic: Sri Lanka/Ceylon Tea Planters and settlers from Britain 1850s  (Read 27944 times)

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sri Lanka/Ceylon Tea Planters and settlers from Britain 1850s
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 13:16 BST (UK) »
All good findings.  I'm away from home for a day or so but will look at it all then.
Laura Rose Cantlay had at least 3 siblings.  Joseph Lewis Hampton born Ceylon 1855 was the senior son but instead of continuing as a planter he became a senior surveyor in the Government, living in Colombo.  There is then recorded the baptism at St Paul's Kandy on 12 April 1864 of Norcott Thomas Hampton followed by Ellen Fanny who was born in London in 1866. 
After Joseph turned up in Canada with his unknown wife, twin daughters and Ellen Fanny in 1884, he turns up in the England 1891 Census, single, with a Norman A Hampton who, from his given age, was born about 1872, in Ceylon.  In between there was time for even more siblings.
What happened with Joseph's first marriage and with the other two sons is so far unfound.
Bill

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 21:07 BST (UK) »
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D1693688

James Hampton Cantlay, Royal Field Artillery Special Reserve Second Lieutenant medal card (WW1)

His military record cold be interesting at some point.

and (Pre WW1)
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/27194/page/3254/data.pdf
4th Battalion Norfolk Regiment, James Hampton Cantlay, Gent, to be Second Lieutenant Dated 4th May, 1900
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline stewarton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 22:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information - this might be a good place to do some more research.  I am waiting to hear from someone and I will get back to you and Bill very shortly

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 May 15 04:43 BST (UK) »
WW2 - (Yikes  this was not a nice place, glad Mrs Mary Cantlay got to Sydney)

"Alexander Vernon White Cantlay b 1893. to the far east 1921. Tea planter Pematang Siantar.
Wife Mary evacuated from Batavia to Sydney on Boissevain, arriving 23.2.42
MRB 1942 Records Cantlay A.V.W.Cantlay civillian internee Palembang, Sumatra"

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=18&ved=0CEgQFjAHOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.malayanvolunteersgroup.org.uk%2Ffiles%2FSUMATRA_INTERNEES_%2528_Version_1-1.1.0%2529%2520%25281%2529%2520%2528Autosaved%2529%2520copy.doc&ei=LBVUVbfrLorq8AWY7YOwCw&usg=AFQjCNGq3ziTYufNGup3xCRiZzLYfocxhA&bvm=bv.93112503,d.dGc

I think this might be his trip out Sumatra:
1938 London to Penang (Malaysia)
A V W CANTLAY aged 45 on the AUTOLYCUS

*I don't think this is A.W. Cantlay of Ceylon b 1880 but A.V.W Catlay b.1893
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline wurding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 16:27 BST (UK) »
I collated some information about the Rowsell and Congrev families in Ceylon in this blog post:

https://rowsellfamilyhistory.wordpress.com/rowsells-of-ceylon-and-india/

I would like to learn more about the Ceylon Labour Commisioner and wonder if anyone knows where the planters association's minutes of meetings might be obtained?
Pugh, Norman, Hall, Congreve, Rowsell, Montgomery,

Offline Amyking

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 December 18 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Am interested in this chat. My name is Amy Esme Hampton Cantlay (now Kingdom), and my father is Vernon Joseph Hampton Cantlay.

He was born in Warmbaths, South Africa on 14 October 1946 and now lives and farms in Mkushi, Zambia. He would be very interested in the above information which I will print for him, and he may also be able to answer some of the questions raised as he has done quite a lot of his own research into our family history.

His father, Joseph Vernon Hampton Cantlay, married a widow by the name of Esme Mary Holcombe King (née Bluett) in South Africa. They had four children, Vernon, Douglas, Greer and Derrick. Derrick passed away at the age of 18 in a motorcycle accident. Vernon and Doug both live in Zambia and Greer lives near Pietermaritzburg, South Africa.

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 December 18 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Amy, great to see your response to this quiet search.  I'd be thrilled if you and your father are keen to take it on.
There are other branches of this Cantlay family in Australia and probably also in England.  It is entirely possible that these may retain information in various forms not in the public domain and they may be equally thrilled to hear from you and to share that information.
I started this thread 3 years or more ago.  While very interested in the Cantlays, your ancestors are equally the Hamptons, who were my main interest.  The Hampton family have a very distinguished ancient history back into Wales with records extending back to the middle ages.
Through marriages they acquired surnames such as Hampton Jones, Hampton Lewis and Lewis Hampton.  As was common, sons (and particularly younger sons) took up officer careers in the British and Indian Armies.  This career took a couple to India.  Presumably from that they saw opportunities as tea planters in Ceylon, which is where they met and married with Cantlay.
Your ancestor John Lewis Hampton Hampton was actually born in Allahabad, Bengal, in 1827 to Colonel Joseph Hampton Hampton, married Charlotte Josephine PIACHAUD IN 1854 in Colombo and died at Lindula, Ceylon, in 1893.  Laura Rose Hampton was their 2nd child.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 December 18 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Try this site. You will see Eileen Hewson's name mentioned. She is probably the most published compiler of Ceylon BMD's. Only library that has a collection (that I know of) is main Genealogical Library in Salt Lake City. You can buy her books - try the internet. Also the Times newspaper has a few mentions of Ceylon settlers, BMD. In my unscientific study Ceylon only received the more upper class Britons as settlers, Civil Servants, Judges, Tea Planters, etc..

https://www.genealogysrilanka.com/category/indexes-and-records/births-baptisms-sri-lanka/   

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 16:01 GMT (UK) »
I've just come across this thread while looking for a Mr Hampton who married Josephine Marion Gleig-Scott, born 1881 in Richmond, Victoria, Australia, daughter of Robert Scott and Susannah Anne Calvert.

According to the death announcement of her brother in 1940, Josephine was by then Mrs Hampton, living in England.

The 1939 register lists at Bognor Regis, Sussex, England, Norman A Hampton, born 18 June 1871, retired government surveyor, Ceylon, and his wife Josephine M Hampton, born 18 April 1884. Note the discrepancy of three years between the birth record of Josephine Marion Gleig-Scott and Josephine M Hampton.

The death of Norman A Hampton, aged 83, was registered in Chichester in 1953, and that of Josephine Marion Hampton, born 18 April 1884, was registered in Chichester in 1969. Her probate was granted on 3 May 1971, but I have not found Norman's probate.

So my question is, have I got the right Josephine Marion Hampton, and if so when and where was she married? I have drawn a blank in Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland, most of Australia (NSW, VIC, QLD, SA, WA), NZ, and in various newspaper collections (Trove, British Newspaper Archive, The Times, The Times of India, Singapore Newspapers) and in the FIBIS database and FamilySearch and FindMyPast.

And how do I find her husband's birth/baptism record?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.