Author Topic: Sri Lanka/Ceylon Tea Planters and settlers from Britain 1850s  (Read 27903 times)

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sri Lanka/Ceylon Tea Planters and settlers from Britain 1850s
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 February 19 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  Thank you for this post.  May I ask, where do your researches fit into this family?  Mine is the Hampton family, originally from Anglesey in Wales.
I have  lot of your information.  However, knowing of Josephine being Norman's wife, and both of their deaths, I knew nothing of her origins. 
You say that you have the marriage of Josephine Marion Greig-Scott born 1881 in Victoria Australia.  When and where was this marriage?  Given her parents' names, her hyphenated surname could possibly suggest that she had been married previously, do you think?
There are Hampton descendants in Australia and have been since the early 1900s.  Norman and she could have met in Australia while he was visiting those relatives.
Or, depending on that marriage, can she be found in transit to Ceylon?
Bill Webster
NSW Australia

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 15 February 19 10:28 GMT (UK) »
No, I said I was looking for the marriage of Josephine Gleig-Scott to a Mr Hampton, and wondering from the later English records if this was Norman A Hampton who was in Ceylon. I have no idea how or where they met or when and where they were married.

Josephine's parents, as I said, were Robert Scott and his wife Susannah Calvert, and the Victoria birth index says her birth was registered in Richmond, Victoria in 1881. Robert Scott was the son of David Scott and his wife Margaret Gleig (NB Gleig not Greig). Many of their descendants used the double surname Gleig-Scott, but Robert did not, although some of his children did.

As for how my research fits in, Josephine is related to me through the Guthrie family from Brechin and Menmuir in Angus, Scotland. I know of no other link to the Hampton family.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 February 19 04:15 GMT (UK) »
It would be fortunate to find her marriage in Ceylon.  Parts of Norman’s family, in particular the Cantlays (Norman’s sister Laura Rose married in Colombo in 1877 James Cantlay) settled in Western Australia.  But you say that you have searched WA marriages.

None of Norman or his siblings’ births or baptisms has ever been found other than their sister Frances Ellen Hampton who was born in London on 30 Mar 1866 and baptised at St John the Evangelist Notting Hill on 11 May 1866.  Frances married into another Anglo-Ceylonese family named Rudd and lived there with her family, died in Kandy in 1946.

Josephine M Hampton in Sussex is the only Josephine in the 1939 Register who fits.  For her to be actually “Josephine Marion”, allied to a birth within a reasonable time frame adds to that probability.  Other records such as electoral registers do not show birth years.  There are other Josephine M Hamptons but no way of telling.  I think the only way to confirm or rule out this Josephine would be for her to have had children who could supply DNA, but no indication of children?

It is not unheard of for persons to advance their birth year, and Josephine was so much younger than Norman.

A word of caution surrounds the person “Norman Augustus” Hampton who is listed in some trees.  While the Josephine we are concentrating on is in Sussex, at the same time in Surrey is a Norman Augustus Hampton, living in Caterham Surrey with Gwendoline Molly Hampton, along with Eva and Sarah Edwards.  A Norman A Hampton married at Godstone in Surrey in 1933 Gwendoline M E Edwards.  So I think I can say that the Norman Augustus Hampton shown in at least one on-line tree is not Norman A Hampton from Ceylon born 1871.  (To complicate that, Norman had a 2nd cousin named Gwendoline Molly Hampton Lewis, from part of the family that never went to Ceylon.)

If I were to take a stab at Norman’s middle name, in the absence of anything otherwise compelling, Norman had an older brother named Arthur, who was unmarried in 1891, born Ceylon, working in a London bank aged 31.  I think he went to South Africa.  I can see no forebear with the name Arthur however.

So, no closer to finding that marriage.  But thank you for reviving my search for more about this family.  By the way, Norman’s brother Joseph married, for the 2nd time, Emily Hill Gardiner 1900 in Colombo.   She originated in Old Aberdeen where her father had been the Rev’d Thomas Gardiner.  This puts them closer to your location.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 February 19 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Norman Albert Hampton's death was registered in Chichester in the September quarter of 1954. Aged 83.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 February 19 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Bill.

I was concentrating on Josephine, and hadn't even noticed the other Norman A Hampton. And even if I had, I never trust any online tree and would have checked it and found it to be wrong. :) (Out of sheer curiosity I looked up the original of the 1939 register and there was Norman, a water company labourer, Gwendoline, and three children, of whom only the second record was closed. No-one named Edwards was in the same household.)

Apart from Josephine apparently claiming to be 3 years younger than she actually was, it does all seem to fit together.

I have not found any evidence of children, though if there had been and they were born in Ceylon they might not appear in any records? I do have a note that Josephine had 'looked after her mother in Western Australia', though I'm not sure where that note came from. If correct, and Josephine cared for her mother until her death before marrying, she could not have married before 1926, when her mother died, by which time Josephine was 45. If there had been a child, and the child survived, there would have been a closed record after Josephine in the 1939 register, and there was no closed record.

I have failed to find either Susannah or Josephine in the readily available online Registers of Electors in Western Australia.

Nor have I yet found a record of a grant of probate for Norman Hampton (annoying because it would have given us his middle name!). In the case of Josephine, letters of administration were granted 18 months after her death, and her estate was worth just £191. I wonder why it took so long for such a small estate? Might there be, somewhere in government archives, records of Norman Hampton's career in Ceylon and of his pension arrangements, I wonder?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 16 February 19 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Norman Albert Hampton's death was registered in Chichester in the September quarter of 1954. Aged 83.
Thank you, ShaunJ. I had found Norman A Hampton's death in FreeBMD. Where did you find the record with the middle name included?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 16 February 19 11:26 GMT (UK) »
The full name is in the GRO online deaths index: https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

If you google "norman albert hampton" and "hampton norman albert" you will find some mentions of him in Ceylon Blue Books and the 1920 Who's Who of Ceylon.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 16 February 19 11:28 GMT (UK) »
You can also find mentions of him in Fergusons Directories https://www.historyofceylontea.com/ceylon-publications/fergusons-directory/

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 16 February 19 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, ShaunJ I have used that GRO site but hadn't noticed that they had extended the deaths coverage to 1957. That's very useful.

Also the Ceylon tips which I will follow up.