Author Topic: Griffiths, Edward d. 1907 Pwllgwaun  (Read 6815 times)

Offline Paparico

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Griffiths, Edward d. 1907 Pwllgwaun
« on: Tuesday 17 March 15 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Seeking photos/document/info regarding Edward Griffiths, claiming on Census reports to have been born 1864 in Treforest, but no birth record.  Listed in 1871 Census as "nephew" to Margaret Williams Griffith, widow (m. Evan Griffith 12.II.1831 Llantrisant), but as her "son" in 1881 Census.  Edward married Margaret Gwynn (dtr of Daniel Gwyn & Jane Evans) 27.IX.1886 Glyntaff, listing his father as, "William Grifffith, farmer" . Edward & Margaret's children were:  Lemuel John Griffiths 1887, Mary Jane 1889, David William 1891, Catherine Anne 1893, Gwen 1896, Margaret Mary 1897, Edward Watkin 1900, Gwladys 1903, Olwen 1906/7.  Lemuel John found his father hanging from a beam in the barn in 1907.  Nothing is known of the fate of his mother or siblings, nor do we know the name of Edward's mother.  Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths, Edward d. 1907 Pwllgwaun
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 21:44 GMT (UK) »

"Lemuel John Griffiths 1887, Mary Jane 1889, David William 1891, Catherine Anne 1893, Gwen 1896, Margaret Mary 1897, Edward Watkin 1900, Gwladys 1903, Olwen 1906/7. "

. . . . . Tegwedd born after Gwladys, before Olwen.

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Given Margaret is a widow in 1861, i doubt she is Edward's mother, but she has a son William b 1840 and some daughters so there is a possibility Edward is the illegitimate son of one of them

Offline Paparico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 22:54 GMT (UK) »
What is the source of information regarding Edward Griffiths' daughters? 
I did consider Margaret's son William might be the father, but could find no evidence linking the two; also, I would assume Margaret would have listed him as "grandson" - as she did Lemuel Price Griffiths - rather than "nephew".  I also thought he might be the son of William the Bridgend watchmaker/butcher as he/wife/& other children all died in 1874 during the epidemic, but again could find no evidence.  As Edward sired ten children, there MUST be some Griffiths descendents out there who know their family history!
Aloha,  and thank you for your research!

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 March 15 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You wrote this . . . . .

"Edward Griffiths appears to have been born 25.III.1864 in Treforest, and Christened 16.V.1864, in Michaelston-super-Avon, Glamorganshire, Wales. "

How did you work that out?
Any detail available?

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Rowley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 March 15 13:34 GMT (UK) »
There was an Edward Griffiths born on the 25 March 1864 and baptised at Michaelston Super Avon on the 16 May 1864, Parents William and Ann he was a Roller, their address was given as Cwmavon, both places are to the north of Neath, Glamorgan. Best wishes Rowley
Davey in Upper Machen, Bedwas, Cascade Glam
Owen Merthyr,Gelligaer area.
Thomas Brecon and Merthyr Tydfil.
Williams,Llangynwyd, Pengam Mon and Glam.
Bevan Mynyddislwyn Pengam and Gelligaer area.
Ellery and Trotman Wooton under Edge,Bristol and South Wales

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 March 15 22:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm a little confused why you think a Llantrisant child would be baptised to parents with an address in neath, or the child of someone from Bridgend, both some way away (in the terms of those days)

Where does Margaret call Lemuel P Griffiths her grandson? He isn;t with her in 1871, and is with his father William in 1881 and 1891 (and so that can't be the same person as the Bridgend William who dies in 1874.)

I am only speculating that her daughters (as listed on earlier censuses) could be Edward's mother. I have seen "nephew" used for an illegitimate grandchild before, as it's an easier way to hide the background

Offline Paparico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 March 15 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Lemuel Price Griffiths was listed as "Grandson" by Margaret in the 1881 census.  Some family histories show Lemuel Price as brother to Edward, some show Edward as the son of Watkin, but Probate for Watkin Griffiths lists him as a bachelor, so it would really be helpful for a family member to contact me so I would have a clue where to look for documentation.
Thank you for all your interest and assistance!

Aloha!

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 March 15 22:28 GMT (UK) »
they've put Edward as Watkin's son as he is listed after Watkin on the 1871 census and Ancestry have decided Watkin is his father, for some reason. Lemuel Price is on 1891 as William's son.

I think that as Margaret very carefully lists  Lemuel and Edward as related to her in different ways only one is actually William's son and the other uses William's name as his father when he marries, for decency.