Author Topic: Griffiths, Edward d. 1907 Pwllgwaun  (Read 6811 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths, Edward d. 1907 Pwllgwaun
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 March 15 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Another reason people may connect Edward with Watkin is that Edward took on Watkin's farm - Lan Farm or Landraw Farm.  Watkin died on 17 March 1891 - his wife (un-named in the newspaper) died a few days later and they were buried together. It mentions two young children being left behind. (edward was later convicted of selling watered down milk!)

bit of a sad family - they appear to have lost a 16 yr old relative in 1886 in a boating accident in Monmouth. the lad was called Job Rees - son of William and Ann. As almost the full range of Griffths men were amongst the chief mourners (William, Richard, Watkin, Lemuel and Lemuel jnr, Edward) and a mystery "Mrs Griffiths" - could this be Margaret? - and the fact Mrs rees was born in llantrisant I think she must be their sister.

Offline Paparico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 March 15 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Where are you finding all this news?  I did find where a Watkin Griffiths married late in life, but discarded that as Probate lists Watkin as a bachelor whose  brother was listed as  Executor.  Watkin's father, Evan Griffiths died poor in Llantrisant,, so I suspect mother  Margaret William Griffiths inherited Law/Llandraw Farm when her father died, but doubt she would leave it to Watkin, as her other children were  more responsible and likely to produce heirs. Also, the total of Edward and Watkin's effects were insufficient to operate a dairy farm so perhaps it was held in trust or as a tenancy.  I would have thought this family would be in the news, but have only been able to find the obituary for Edward, so I do thank you for all the new information you have provided.  Aloha!

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 March 15 22:59 GMT (UK) »
The probate registry entry I have found for Watkin of Llan Draw farm died March 1891 says nothing about his marital status. Adminsitration was giiven to Richard Griffiths, Apple Tree Shop Dinas - definitely the right family given this obit of William, father of Lemuel Price, and its mention of said shop

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3830162/ART10/apple%20tree%20shop

Sorry yes it does say a bachelor - but at the same time the address and date fit an item about the death of Watkin and wife, and indeed later something relating to burial fees and his orphans

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3811532/ART34/landraw%20farm

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3019244/ART42/lan%20farm

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 March 15 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Also this profile (with picture) of Lemuel Price Griffiths, mentioning how he was brought up by his grandmother at Lan Farm

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3828414/ART26/apple%20tree%20shop

Offline Paparico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Wow!  You are awesome!  You have accomplished more in one day than I have done in almost 50-years of research!  I have wasted hundreds of hours searching South Wales newspapers to no avail!  Margaret Williams Griffiths was the daughter of Watkin Williams, who died 12.II.1849.  Her husband, Evan Griffith died in 1860, so I am not quite sure why Edward  & Lemuel Price were given to her to raise.  William certainly had the wherewithal to support his son, but at least now I know why Lemuel Price Griffiths was able to marry so successfully and leave £31, 214.14s to his widow!  Still a mystery why her sons helped William at his store rather than their mother on the farm, but it seems she not afraid to put in a good day's work!  As I have been unable to locate any of Edward's descendents, at least now I can hope some of Lemuel John Griffiths offspring will enlighten me.  Mahalo nui loa!  Rico 

Offline Paparico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 April 15 23:41 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Kelly Littleton, who sent me a copy of an 1876  Mill Street Boarding School, Pont-y-pridd, registration for Edward Griffiths,  listing Edward's DOB as July, 1864,  his father to be William Griffiths!  I still have no knowledge of which William Griffiths was Edward's father (who apparently was still alive in 1876, yet Edward was living with Margaret Griffiths as her "nephew") nor any indication of Edward Griffiths' mother, so remain hopeful that someone with that knowledge will respond.  Edwards home is listed as "Lan Draw Farm", so I would also be delighted to hear from anyone with knowledge of that farm!
Aloha!
Rico

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 April 15 19:14 BST (UK) »
Lan Draw Farm seems to be the family farm where Watkin was living when he died. I think, given in the present day there are Landraw Woods and a Landraw Road, the farm would have been just up the Rhondda Valley from Pontypridd, near the current Barry Sidings Country Park

Offline Paparico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 April 15 19:42 BST (UK) »
Mahalo!   My Ex was born at Maes-y-Deri, Graigwen, just down the road from the farm just shy of 40-years of Edward's death, yet neither she nor her father professed any knowledge of it, which has made researching Edward so difficult!  I do not understand how a family can lose its history in only 40-years!  I re-read the newspaper account of Watkin, which clearly states Lan Draw farm, but am completely mystified as to why William Griffiths did not step in to save Watkin's orphans unless the children were not Watkin's!  I found where Watkin married Matilda Richards, but her three children had different fathers, none of them Watkin.  I wondered if the estrangement was because Edward bit the bullet for watered down milk to William's store, as despite his alleged integrity, William made considerable money from his store.   I am still seeking information about Edward's wife, Margaret Gwyn, and the fate of her three children Gwladys, Olwen, & Tegwedd!
Aloha!
Rico

Offline Paparico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Gwyn/ Griffiths, Edward d. 1907 Pwllgwaun
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 May 15 21:56 BST (UK) »
I have since discovered Margaret Gwynn, wife of Edward Griffiths died 15.IX.1914 in Pontypridd, leaving her <£240 Estate in the hands of son Lemuel John, and farmer Francis Davies.  Margaret Gwynn's line descends from a Lavernock farming family erroneously transcribed as "David" by familysearch.org (David Gwynn married 1786 Mary George, George children erroneously dubbed "James").  familysearch.org say correction is not an "emergency" as people can still buy a copy of documents.  This error was discovered from Census reports listing John Gwynn's (Bp: 05.IX.1802)  place of birth as Colter rather than Cogan, Glamorganshire.  John's siblings were:  Mary Gwynn 02.VI.1794, David, 03.II.1788, Jane, 14.XII.1806, Elizabeth 31.VII.1796, and William, 18.IX.1799 per BT Film No. 104875.