Author Topic: Need Help finding my German Ancesters  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Bryan.wyandt

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Need Help finding my German Ancesters
« on: Tuesday 17 March 15 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I've Been doing some research and I can find much on my name Wyandt the farthest back I have gotten was to my 5 times or so grandfather Ludwig Wyandt or Weyandt born in Germany I don't know what year but before 1822 I know him or his son moved to American, but I have looked at familysearch.org ancestry and everything no luck.

Thanks,
                                                                                                                Bryan

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help finding my German Ancesters
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bryan,

Can you please give us a bit more to go on?

How do you know that Ludwig came from Germany?

What was the name of his son?

What is the significance of 1822?

Whereabouts in America did he or his son end up?

Justin

Offline Bryan.wyandt

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 March 15 04:59 GMT (UK) »
1. I am not sure about that I would guess that because his son is from Germany

2. Adam Wyandt Born January 28, 1822 in Germany Death April 25, 1910 in Ohio

3. Because That is before his son was born

4. Somewhere in Ohio His descendants were born in New Haven Ohio

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 March 15 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryan,

If you take a thorough look through all the public family trees on ancestry that include your Adam (b. 1822), you'll find a couple of excellent leads.

Larry Wyandt's 'Wyandt Family Tree' page includes Adam's obituary which states pretty unequivocally that he was born in the small village of Neumorschen. Interestingly, the German obit names him Adam Wiegand.

lindybarts 'Wiegands/Maus/Plein Eastern Iowa and Ohio' tree has birth dates and places for many of Adam's close family. I would urge you to contact her to establish her sources. She may have an old family bible, or have obtained the birth/baptism records from Germany.

If she doesn't have birth/baptism records, you will have to write to the church archives in Kassel to request information, as the vast majority of German parish records have not found their way onto the internet.

A key resource is the Hessian Immigrants: Index to Family Names, Book II by Inge Auerbach.

In response to a lookup request on the ancestry message boards, the following was provided:

Ludwig Wiegand, age 56, from Ostheim, County of Hofgeismar, day labourer, with $486, left for America with family in March of 1848.
Family include children, age 23, 26 and 30. No names or sex. Children were from Neumorschen, County of Melsungen.

Also ...

Jakob Wiegand, age 22, from Neumorschen, left Mar 1848.
John Heinrich Wiegand, age 30 from Neumorschen, left March 1848
Adam Wiegand, age 26, from Neumorschen, left March 1848

These could be the children listed above of Ludwig Wiegand.

On 31 May 1848, the Amazone arrived in New York port from Bremen with the following farmers listed on the manifest:

Ludwig Wigart, 56
Conrad Wigart, 33
Heinrich Wigart, 29
Adam Wigart, 26

Whether they are your ancestors is hard to say, but the year and the names are a close match to information contain in Auerbach's book.

This should keep you busy for a while.

Justin