Author Topic: looking for info on family past  (Read 1674 times)

Offline cmagee1982

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
looking for info on family past
« on: Tuesday 17 March 15 22:54 GMT (UK) »
hi i am new to this page and not sure if i am doing this right though i am looking for my ancesters and i am very confused and stuck, i need help to find out about a one margaret mcdonald whos mother was margaret mcgilvray and father was alexander mcdonald? if anyone could help

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: looking for info on family past
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. You've posted in the wrong place but a moderator will likely move it to the correct board before too long.

Meanwhile, can you give us an idea of dates and location so that we can try to help?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi welcome to Rootschat.

Can you tell us what you already know eg when and where she was born? Then perhaps someone will ask a Mod to move this to the right board, as you've posted on "How to Use RootsChat (Please don't post requests here)"   Once it's been moved to the right board I'm sure that someone will be able to help you.

Sorry aghadowey, didn't see your post.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Were the family Scottish? there's this possible record with the right names but can't be sure from what you first posted.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYDP-K74

(It's okay groom- you were probably typing as I posted)

Offline cmagee1982

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 23:04 GMT (UK) »
hi sorry about that but thanks, margaret mcgilvray birth year about 1876/7 and husband alexander mcdonald about 1880 not to sure where born, they had a daughter margaret mcdonald birth 1904/5 - 1969 born glasgow.

thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 23:05 GMT (UK) »
For those dates you'll need to search on Scotland's People site (they are also the only place to view 1911 Scottish census) which is pay per view.

Offline cmagee1982

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 23:07 GMT (UK) »
ok thank you i will do that

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi cmagee1982

I think I can see your tree on a/try here http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/33976074/person/28134575067?ssrc= There is also one further tree, likely a relative of yours as you both show Margaret born c. 1904 as grandmother.

You both seem to have good detail I think coming forward, it is the going back that is the problem. One of the reasons may be that Margaret's parents didn't marry until 1913. Alexander a widower, Maggie a spinster...this might be why they had to wait to marry until 1913? Waiting for Alexander's wife to pass before they could legally marry? This means that daughter Margaret's birth may likely show under her mother's maiden surname. Seems you may have this to find too...

The marriage I found was this one:

1913   Alexander MCDONALD and Maggie MCGILVRAY in ANDERSTON - GLASGOW CITY/LANARK   644/11 0289

Alexander's occupation matches that which shows on the image you have for daughter's marriage, dock labourer.

Alexander's age in 1913 showing as 56, so born c. 1857ish (that can vary as you know until you find better details). May also have been born before the start of official registration in Scotland, which will make it harder to find details. I can't see his birth easily (or siblings) on the index on https://familysearch.org/search as a guide. Parents a James McDonald, cab drive and Ann Ree (likely also Rae/Rea and variants). Both Deceased.

No luck yet on finding a birth entry for Maggie McGilvray, a spinster aged 41 at marriage. Parents a John McG and a Catherine McDonald. Both Deceased.

Maybe check for your grandmother Margaret's parents' deaths. Their death certs might give some other details to help you verify info. Your grandmother married twice? This will help you possibly narrow down death dates for her parents if they showed as deceased by the time of her second marriage.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk