Author Topic: Android Tablet - Which one?  (Read 9955 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Android Tablet
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 March 15 08:46 GMT (UK) »
I've been very happy with my Google Nexus tablet, I went for the 7" screen so it would fit in my handbag. I think they don't make the 7 or 10 version of it now but they brought out a new model (poss 8" screen) just before last Christmas.

I too have a Nexus 7 (Ver 2) and they do still make them. I think the price is down to c£160. The new Nexus is the Nexus 9 (8.9 inch screen). Like the Apples it has a 4:3 ratio screen, rather than the more common 16:9. Most reviews recommend 4:3 for internet browsing and 16:9 for TV and film watching.

I think your Fusion5 Xtra got a good rating due to its low price. It only has 1Gb of memory while most tablets now have 3Gb. But as already been said band width is the key to internet browsing (including live TV watching). One problem now is that a lot of web page designers assume we all have fast connections so the size of a page is increasing with lots of ads - which of course load first. If you have BT broadband and live in a built up area you may find the free BT hot spots are faster than your home connection.

If you can return your Fusion to its default settings you can sell it to increase your budget. Its value will half every year.

Here is a recent review of the 'best' ten - http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/10-best-tablet-pcs-in-the-world-today-1079603

A larger exercise by Which is also available on their website.

As to retailer I have recently followed my sister's advice and buy everything you can from John Lewis. They usually give free extended warranties, and their customer services appears to be on the side of the consumer.

Ken

Offline fishweb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 March 15 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone.

WiFi speed??  No idea and no idea how I'd find out (not a bit technical I'm afraid).

My tablet is slow wherever I go and would seem to be a symptom of the tablet itself I think.

At the moment considering the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 £229.00??

Annette

I have the samsung galaxy tab 4 8" and paid about £180. I love it!
cheshire capper houghton malia/melia fitzgerald higgins emson groves nickson
staffordshire burns goddard lindop davenport
wiltshire dowling chandler tuff
devon cox vinnecombe-butler pearce
cornwall bersey

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 April 15 22:47 BST (UK) »
I bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 and I love it.  Kept checking prices and at Easter prices on 2 sites came down to £189.95 and I went for it.  Does everything I want and as fast as my phone.  Well pleased.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 April 15 23:11 BST (UK) »
That's great news, Annette.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline starcat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 April 15 04:09 BST (UK) »
I have a Samsung Galaxy tab s 10.5 that i bought before xmas, it is brilliant & I use it more than my laptop.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, just found this thread by doing a search, so the "Galaxy Tab4 10.1" looks favourable.........
I'm looking around for one at the moment and didn't have a clue what to go for or what was any good.

Regards
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 10:17 BST (UK) »
Don't discount the Tesco Hudl2, check out reviews, excellent VFM, less than £100.  8.3 in screen perfectly adequate.  I have one and love it.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 10:27 BST (UK) »
My mother has a Hudl, she likes it but the volume of the speakers is too low for her to enjoy watching programmes and videos on it. I thought it might have been her hearing, but it is just that the maximum volume isn't very loud.

We use various sizes of Nexus devices here (Phone and tablets Nexus 7, three Nexus 10). They are good value, offer great performance, and the Android operating systems are updated quicker before other android devices. The Nexus 10 (a ten inch screen) has been replaced by the Nexus 9 (a nine inch screen), but you can still buy new Nexus 10 tablets on Amazon (they are sometimes described as "Samsung Google Nexus 10" too, they're the same model)

In practice, as long as you stick with a familiar android tablet brand, you're not going to get a bad one.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Hinso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 10:30 BST (UK) »
I have a Samsung Galaxy tab s 10.5 that i bought before xmas, it is brilliant & I use it more than my laptop.

I'll second that. Not cheap but the battery life and sound quality are excellent.
Horne - Oxfordshire, Lincolnshire
James - Grosmont (Monmouthshire)
Jones, Thomas, Davies - Carmarthenshire, Glamorgan
Price - Monmouthshire, Glamorgan
Prosser - Breconshire
Prossl - Bohemia, London
Rees - Carmarthenshire, Monmouthshire, Illinois
Walter - Somerset, Kansas, Queensland, Western Australia