Author Topic: lloyd family llanbedr and close area  (Read 9569 times)

Offline ivorglyn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
lloyd family llanbedr and close area
« on: Thursday 19 March 15 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Dear all,My gggrandmother was Margaret Lloyd b.~1824 in Llanbedr.She also had a sister Elizabeth b.~1820 who was also b.Llanbedr and married David Jones(stone mason) b.Llanuwchllyn.On the 1861 W census living at Doldanowen Llanbedr are:David Jones 32,Elizabeth 41,Margaret 11,John 9,Gwen 7,David 3,Elizabeth 0 and Margaret Lloyd 78 mother in law and widow of Jno Lloyd tailor.I believe the parents of Margaret b.1824 and Elizabeth b.~1820 were John Lloyd and Margaret(Davies?).There was a John Lloyd b.~1780 Llanbedr with parents Robert Lloyd 1758-1781 and Lowry Williams b.1760(parents  William Robert b.1740 and Gaenor).Robert and Lowry married in 1780 Llanbedr and they also had a daughter Ann(e) Lloyd b.~1782 Llanbedr. married Erasmus Lloyd(parents Erasmus and Elizabeth Jones who married in 1787) .Ann and Erasmus married in 1808 in Llanfair and had children John b.1811,Ann b.1813,David b.1812,and Evan 1815-1892.Evan b.1815 married Jane Ellis(1814-1872) in Festinog in 1845.The children of Evan and Jane were:Catherine 1847-1862,Anne 1848-1902,Jane 1850-1909,Robert E b.1852 and Evan b.1853.Evan b.1815 married again to Elin Lloyd in 1873 and they had children:John Howell Lloyd 1872-,Gaynor 1877,John 1880,and William E b.~1884....The parents of Robert Lloyd b.~1758 were John Lloyd 1708-1781 and Jane Humphrey(s) died 1783.The children of John Lloyd and Jane Humphreys were:Edward d.1781,Elizabeth d.1827(married Griffith Jones),Evan d,1781,Margaret 1738-1776(married Edward Lloyd),Dorothy 1743-1816(married Ellis prees Jones),Humphrey 1745-1781,Richard 1748-1792(married Gwen Griffith)Catherine 1753-1763,Robert 1758-1781,and John 1761-1832....Finally I believe the parents of John Lloyd b.~1708 were Edward b.1681(and Dorothy?).I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has a connection with this Lloyd family and if there is any connection with this  family and David Lloyd George's ancestors ..kind regards to all Ivorglyn

Offline ivorglyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: lloyd family llanbedr and close area
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 March 15 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Dear all,Someone on the Ancestry public member tree has traced the Lloyd family back to around 1000 -1100!!!.I will give the next 3 generations back,,The father of Edward Lloyd b.~1681 Llanbedr was Richard ap Edward Lloyd 1645-1696(b.Llanbedr).The father of Richard ap Edward was Edward Lloyd 1610-1668 who married Gwen(Richard or Lewis?).The father of Edward b.1610 was Humphrey Lloyd 1580-1685?? died in Llanfair and married Jane Dduallt 1610-1688.regards to all Ivorgyn ps As I have said several people on Ancestry have traced the family back to Welsh nobility

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 14:29 BST (UK) »
and they had children:John Howell Lloyd 1872-,Gaynor 1877,John 1880,and William E b.~1884.

John Howell Lloyd b 1872 in Ffestiniog was the brother of my great grandmother and the son of William Lloyd and Elliw Jones.   

Where did you get the above information; it appears to be quite clear with just a couple of census' searches for John Howell LLoyd b Ffestiniog who his parent's are; he married a Gaynor LLoyd b 1878 from Penrhyndeudraeth  who's parents were Evan and Ellen Lloyd.  Evan and Ellen Lloyd also had a son called John born 1881........search for a Gaenor Lloyd b 1878 on census only.   The tree from Ancestry is not correct.
Nesta

Offline ivorglyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 15:52 BST (UK) »
Dear Nestagj,Thankyou for your email.As I have said I am sure that my gggrandmother was Margaret Lloyd b.~1824 daughter of Margaret (Davies) and John Lloyd b.~1780(tailor) as I have a marriage certificate for Margaret Lloyd.John Lloyd's parents were Robert Lloyd and Lowry Williams.I'll take another look through my more recent findings bearing in mind  your information.Thankyou once again..regards Ivorglyn

Offline ivorglyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 20:16 BST (UK) »
Dear Nestagj,I've checked the records and Evan Lloyd married Ellen Jones in Ffestiniog in 1873 o/n/d and on the 1891W census the family live in Pantyn Ynn Uchaf,Market Square,LLanfihangel y Traethau,Ffestiniog.The family is down as: Evan 75 b.Llanbedr,Ellen 47 b.Bala,and Gaynor 13,John 10,William E 7 all born in Penrhyndeudraeth.There is no John Howel(l).I'm sorry I made the error by not checking properly..regards Ivorglyn

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 May 15 10:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ivor.  No problem.....

John Howell Lloyd's name leapt out at me as his name was one of the clues that helped me back another generation.  This family was quite elusive for some years - as you may have noted there were sevral Lloyd families in Ffestiniog at that time.

As I mentioned John Howell Lloyd b 1872 married your Gaynor LLoyd and then moved to South Wales; several members of my Lloyd family moved back and to between Blaenau and South Wales and as far as I can tell they all lived close to each other down South.

Good luck with your research
Nesta

Offline CarwynLloydRoberts

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 September 15 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Ivor, it would seem that we share the same family!. Margaret's sister Elisabeth Lloyd was my GGGGrandmother and funnily enough I visited Doldanowen yesterday for a bit of a walk and to take some photos. We have most of the family tree, as well as documents such as birth certificates and marriage certificates for some of them.

Dolgellau archives have a lot of info, and one of the staff members is also related through the Lloyd branch, he has done some tracing and I believe has more documents.

Offline Llio Hughes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 March 18 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hello, my tree is on public view on ancestry and this family is on my tree. Some of the research is my own  and the other is the work of a professional we paid to research into the family. If I have not recorded proof i.e birth certificates, census etc it's because it's in a folder and not found by myself on-line. I also have not put the photographs on the graves I had visited as I just haven't got round to it. Ellen Jones wife of Evan Lloyd was his second marriage. I am the great great great granddaughter of Evan Lloyd known as Evan Llwyd and his first wife Jane Lloyd. On one of the census's my great grandfather Evan Lloyd Williams was living with her. I have been looking for the families of the children of Ellen Lloyd and Evan Lloyd because we don't know what happened to them. I would be very interested to know what happened to them and where are their families now. Ellen Jones is on this side of my tree  through marriage to Evan Lloyd .  As for the connection to David Lloyd George, Ellen is on my tree on my fathers side as a blood relative. On my fathers side there is a connection with David Lloyd George, but with  regards to Ellen only through marriage. 

Offline GlynLl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 July 19 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hello All
I am at a relatively early stage of researching my Lloyd family tree.
So far I have found a John Lloyd b. Llanbedr 1810/1811 married to Catherine (nee Hughes) living in Llanaber/Barmouth. I am stuck to get back further since I am not familiar with obtaining parish records or accessing other local resources.
I would be glad of any general advice or, indeed, any specific family leads.

Thanks